Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs Racing to sign 15 year old driver!

gridironmike

Posted on Sun, Aug. 14, 2005

Roush driver Logano, 15, set to join Joe Gibbs Racing

By JIM UTTER

ThatsRacin.com Writer

WATKINS GLEN, N.Y. - Upstart driver Joey Logano, who has been groomed by Roush Racing for a career in NASCAR, is set to join Joe Gibbs Racing, Gibbs officials confirmed Sunday.

Logano, 15, recently became the youngest driver to win a race in the Hooters Pro Cup Series, with his June 11 win at Mansfield, Ohio.

"We've had a chance to meet with Joey and his dad, Tom, over the last few weeks, and we're pretty close to announcing something, but not quite yet," said team president J.D. Gibbs.

"He's done some remarkable stuff already, and he's only 15 years old. It's kind of amazing to watch him. We're still working some details out, but we're excited about putting something together with him."

The move comes as a shock since as recently as March Roush Racing had issued a news release touting Logano as one of four development drivers it had added to its stable.

Logano's departure from Roush also heels of Roush driver Kurt Busch's announcement this past week that he had signed to drive for Penske Racing South beginning in the 2007 season.

Roush Racing veteran Mark Martin noticed Logano when he was racing with Mark's son, Matt. As recently as June, Martin said Logano was talented enough to drive a Cup car, and the only thing holding him back was NASCAR's minimum age of 18.

"I would put him in that No. 6 car in a heartbeat. I'm telling you, he's ready," Martin said in June. "He's good enough to do it."

Last year, Logano competed in five American Speed Association touring series events and qualified fifth for his first race.

Originally posted by visionary

Wait, how is he even allowed to drive????

:laugh:

Right. He's not legal to drive on city streets, but he's racing around an oval track at 180 MPH.:laugh:

.....time to start scouting the neighborhood kids and see which ones are good at driving the Big Wheels....uh, now I'm showing my age...can't remember the last time I saw a kid on anything that even resembles a Big Wheel:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Joe Sick

Just goes to show how little driving skill goes into turning left.

Typical Nascar bashing response. I'm sure you'd poop in your pants if you tried wheeling one of these cars around a track going 190 mph. Not only does it take skill, it takes some stones too.

If more people understood the engineering and technology involved in Nascar racing... especially guys.... more people would follow the sport. Did you know that the type of paint and decals on the car can make a difference between leading the race and running 20th at Daytona or Talledega? 1/100ths of an inch can make the difference between a car handling well and one pushing the front end.

Those who bash Nascar have never been to a race... have never felt the power of 43 cars barreling by you into a turn. Absolutely amazing....

Archived