Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wassup with Patrick Ramsey??!?! (MERGE)

Hollywood2k3

Ramsey needs to display something. This is not an experienced QB that just needs to warmup and prepare for the season. He doesn't have to light it up, but just show some progress. I didn't see progress tonight. He didn't look confortable in the pocket and had some accuracy issues. His int was a poor decision and a poor throw. The O has been working all offseason plus two weeks of training camp and I expected more out of Ramsey.

Originally posted by goskins

I guess the 2005 season is over:doh:

Great comeback to an obvious problem... :rolleyes:

Yes, it's one game...after one scrimmage against the Ravens, after 2 weeks of practices, after an offseason of OTA's. When is Ramsey going to look like a first round QB? The time is over for excuses. He has to step up this season. And after aforementioned practices and scrimamges and 1 preseason game, he looks bad.

I'm not really talking about his stats - it's the fact that he looks the same as he has the past couple of years. Every year it's,

"oh, he hasn't had enough game experience"

"he's getting used to the offense"

"it's only preseason"

"he'll improve after the off season"

"he'll be better when he has a good offensive line"

"Spurrier messed with his psyche"

ad nauseum. He still has happy feet in the pocket; he's clearly not decisive; he still doesn't look off many primary receivers; he still follows brilliant plays with bone-head plays...

I ask you, how long will this continue? It's not just this one preseason game, it's his career with the Redskins.

I put my faith in him, but he's turning out to be a white Tony Banks!

Originally posted by mookie0720

Exactly.

When does it no long become "it's only week X"?

There were actually people on this board still holding on to Brunell in Week 10.

That's how much faith we had in Ramsey back then. He didn't gain much today either.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Uh, Ramsey did show improvement from the preseason to end of last season.

Stop revising history to fit your hyperbole at the moment.

You are entitled to opinion, as am I. I respect yours.

From my point of view:

Patrick has not shown he is confortable in the pocket, even when the offensive line gave him all day.

He hasn't shown the ability to move this offense; even as our first team played their second team.

His decision making and poise in the pocket are well below the average NFL quarterback.

As much as I would like to be wrong, I can not escape what is in front of me.

For the sake of this team, Patrick needs to suceed. Perhaps he will, but at this point, he not longer has the benefit of doubt - it's time for Ramsey to step up.

Originally posted by SonnyRules

You are entitled to opinion, as am I. I respect yours.

From my point of view:

Patrick has not shown he is confortable in the pocket, even when the offensive line gave him all day.

He hasn't shown the ability to move this offense; even as our first team played their second team.

His decision making and poise in the pocket are well below the average NFL quarterback.

As much as I would like to be wrong, I can not escape what is in front of me.

For the sake of this team, Patrick needs to suceed. Perhaps he will, but at this point it he not longer has the benefit of doubt - it's time for Ramsey to step up.

You are not wrong, Sonnyrules. You see what I see. A QB that was handed the starting job and for whatever reason can't seem to capitalize on this chance.

Brunell wants to suceed under Coach Joe Gibbs, he wants to win a superbowl before he retires. The clock is ticking and he knows it. Ramsey for what evr reason does not look hungary enough. If anyone knows Sonny Jurgensen ask him to have a heart to heart with Ramsey about Redskin pride and the character to fight.

I'm actually kind of shocked at the downplay of the poor performance. This isn't Brett Favre having a bad preseason game. It's kid who has a lot to prove throwing one deep pass for an INT and dumping the ball off for the rest of the night. I mean...awesome he comepleted 8/12. That shouldn't be hard when your dumping the ball off to RB's.

One thing that we cannot blame tonight is the protection. I thought they did an excellent job of picking up blitzes and giving Patrick (and all of our QBs) time. But we must face the fact that Patrick seems to be "thinking" too much while in the pocket. Both Brunell and Campbell seemed to know where they wanted to go with the ball immediately after the snap. The interception that Patrick threw was underthown. Moss (I think) had to wait for the ball. He had his man beat. Patrick clearly is feeling the pressure, so much so that he looks like he is trying to guide the ball to the receivers.

We'll see how game two goes, but clearly no one can say that Coach Gibbs didn't give him ample chances tonight.

OK - the biggest bumps on Ramsey before this season were that he held on to the ball too long and seemed to key on certain receivers. There has also been criticism on his long ball.

In only one preseason game, we've seen:

1. Ramsey doesn't hold on to the ball too long, but instead becomes jumpy after a few moments. (see: his attempt at a scramble after nothing was open)

2. Ramsey still seems to key in on one receiver.

3. Terrible long ball that was underthrown into double coverage. (in the replays you could see that the corner had saftey help)

I'm sure there will be a bunch of Brunell backers after this game, and I WANT Ramsey to succeed, but you could see Brunell going through his progressions on some of his attempts. The biggest example of this was when he was looking left the whole time, then found AB over the middle.

I'm not going to form any rock solid opinions after only one preseason game, and I know Brunell was playing against scrubs, but I'd like to see some poise out of Ramsey in the next game. I know people have lauded Ramsey for his "poise" in the past, but we don't need to mistake poise with holding the ball too long. I still think Pat can put the pieces together, but we need to see progress in the next few weeks to convince me.

:2cents:

Originally posted by Craig

Stats taken out of context of the game are meaningless.

By all means put them into context...

8/12 for 77 yards is about 9 ypp. Not bad.

But Ramsey does look like he's not completely comfortable. Like every time he goes back he's expecting to get hit. This is what people are talking about when blaming Spurrier. That is Spurrier's fault.

Originally posted by Skins24

By all means put them into context...

8/12 for 77 yards is about 9 ypp. Not bad.

For the record Ramsey completed 3 passes to wide receivers. An 11 yard pas to Patten was the longest. Then 5 yards to Thrash and a 3 yard pass to Moss. I guess you're right. I see nothing to be concerned about there.

Originally posted by JMU1330 For the record Ramsey completed 3 passes to wide receivers. An 11 yard pas to Patten was the longest. Then 5 yards to Thrash and a 3 yard pass to Moss. I guess you're right. I see nothing to be concerned about there.

How many plays do you think Gibbs employs in a preseason game?

How many of those plays do you think has the QB throwing 30+ yards down field?

Lets face it skins fans he sucks. Campbell should start I know a lot of you haters dont want to see this but if you want to be a fan of a 9-7 team compared to a 5-11 team you should be pulling for you boy Campbell......

Gibbs knew what he was doing by drafting JC. Ramsey sucks even the old man knows this. So for all of you Ramsey ********** please dont swallow. He has to GO !!!!

EDIT: Dude, you really cant use that kind of vulgarity here. Ive astericks out the relevant parts just so you can figure out where you went wrong.~~Blade

Originally posted by Clinton Portis

Ramsey Wasn't Terrible...He was 8/12 for 77 Yards and an INT....CHILL OUT

Was that his stats for tonights game? If so then why are almost everybody bashing Ramsey.I never got to watch the game but those stats don't look bad.

I don't think Ramsey "sucks", but I don't see him being the QB of the future. Unless Ramsey turns it around bigtime, Campbell will be the starter going into the '06 season.

And I just can't attribute Ramsey's performance to this being the 1st preseason game. He's had minicamps, OTAs, two weeks of training camp, etc. do get his game together. He's a veteran now, it's time to perform. He could've at least come out and looked poised. He was scared.

Originally posted by skull1669

Lets face it skins fans he sucks. Campbell should start I know a lot of you haters dont want to see this but if you want to be a fan of a 9-7 team compared to a 5-11 team you should be pulling for you boy Campbell......

Gibbs knew what he was doing by drafting JC. Ramsey sucks even the old man knows this. So for all of you Ramsey ********** please dont swallow. He has to GO !!!!

:munchout:

Archived