Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skip Bayless shows his smarts on football.

Spaceman Spiff

Originally posted by chomerics

The Dolphins didn't put it on Marino's shoulders, MARINO did. They had an outrageous pass-run ratio because of Marino's personality.

Can one guy win a championship? No, but when you have great teams, there is absolutely no excuse to have a loosing playoff record (8-10) . . . that is unless your adept at choking (think Payton Manning). Marino falls into this catagory.

No, they had an outrageous PR ratio because Don Shula WANTED to mold to the team around Marino's passing abilities.

I would suppose you are the ultimate authority when it comes to choking with great teams considering you're a Red Sox fan. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by TheSteve

No Chom, the Dolphins never won anything because they were a one-dimensional team. Blame that on Marino if you want, but that does not take away from his abilities as a QB. If your team is one dimensional you just have to do what you can, and Marino did a hell of a job with a one dimensional passing attack.

Some of the teams had no running game, but over the course of 17 years, that is bound to happen. They actually had a GREAT running game when he came to Miami, but because of his arm, they abandoned it.

I would take Marino over Brady any day and every day by the way. It's no suprise you're another AFC Eastern Division Dolphins rival that resented Marino because he tried to win it all by himself. Yes, he could have been a more humble QB, but the the truly greats always had that confidence and ****yness that they could do it themselves. Fortunantly for the haters that take intense pleasure is knocking Marino's achievments and lack of Super bowl wins, Marino never won the big one.

Ahhhh, how can you be truly great when you don't win?

Was Marino a great PASSER? Yes, probably the best, but not even in my top 5 in terms of great QB's.

You need to have not only the arm, but the ability to think, read D's, handle the rush and get the most out of your teammates. Marino was good a 2 of those, but that does not make him the best.

Montana, Johnny U., Brady . . . what do they all have in common (other then winning at least 3 championships)? They were all great LEADERS!!!! They were also all lower picks who had to WORK to get the job. It wasn't handed to them, so they never became the primidonna Marino was.

With Marino, he would ALWAYS berate players, and would never take blame himself. Great passer, not a great leader. . . I'll take the leader and win the Super Bowls, you can take the passer and go to Hawaii. Personally I'd much rather watch my team win the SB, then watch my QB play in Hawaii.

Originally posted by TheSteve

No, they had an outrageous PR ratio because Don Shula WANTED to mold to the team around Marino's passing abilities.

And Marino had nothing to do with it???? You are taking Marino philosophy to a new level. Blame everyone else except yourself. Dodge and pass blame. I thought accountability was a good thing :rolleyes:

I would suppose you are the ultimate authority when it comes to choking with great teams considering you're a Red Sox fan. :rolleyes:

Ummm, that would be the Yankees my friend. The Sox may have choked before, but never like that/ You'd have to talk to a Yankees fan to find out what sucking on the large gas-pipe known as being the fiorst team EVER to loose a baseball series when being up 3-0.

Yes, I'll never get sick of typing that

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gotta go now, but thanks for the discussion.

:cheers:

Originally posted by chomerics

And Marino had nothing to do with it???? You are taking Marino philosophy to a new level. Blame everyone else except yourself. Dodge and pass blame. I thought accountability was a good thing :rolleyes:

Ummm, that would be the Yankees my friend. The Sox may have choked before, but never like that/ You'd have to talk to a Yankees fan to find out what sucking on the large gas-pipe known as being the fiorst team EVER to loose a baseball series when being up 3-0.

Yes, I'll never get sick of typing that

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gotta go now, but thanks for the discussion.

:cheers:

Yes, Marino certainly didn't complain. But ultimately, the coach decides which direction the team takes.

And one year of choking however substantial hardly supercedes an entire lifetime of letdown and dissapointments even if they finally won the big one. And yes, I'm a Yankees fan.

You'll never get me to admit that my childhood hero Marino was overrated or a choker. It's just too bad that my favorite RB-Barry Sanders, and my favorite QB-Marino never won a superbowl. Because if either of them had there really would be no arguing that they were each the best ever--Especially Marino. That's why there is such fierce opposition to the notion that Marino is one of the greatest.:)

I personally think that Young was better than Montana. But Montana was luckier and was in SF longer and had more chances to win SuperBowls.

That's what I find is so sad about people's perceptions of QB and their greatness. They want to say Montana is the greatest because he won 4 superbowls. He didn't win them single handedly. Put Marino or Young on those teams and they probably would have won more IMO.

Because Young's career was in TB and then he sat the bench for 4 years in SF, I don't think he was worthy of a first ballot HOF.

The Highest rated passer thing is bunk anyway, Danny White was the highest rated passer at one time, I believe. How can you have played essentially 6 seasons yet be the highest rated qb of all time? Makes no sense.

That being said, I was always a fan of Young's and enjoyed watching him play, I"m glad he's in the HOF.

Marino, he's the best ever. Period, I don't care what anyone says. He had little help on any of those dolphin teams, never a running back yet they tried over and over.

I was a Dolphins fan, I watched ever game that I could. Every year was the same story, they tried to run the ball, but Marino always had to bail them out and rarely let them down.

It's not his fault that the dolphins couldnt play defense or run the ball. He lined up against teams that knew they couldn't run the ball and knew he was going to pass, but they couldn't stop him.

The NFL is so much about fooling the other teams. The dolphins couldn't fool anyone. Marino carried them. Greatest passer ever, I won't lie, I was really sad watching his speech yesterday. I'll NEVER see another qb like that again.

• 2 years later...

Archived