Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell's scrambling ability?

For those at camp, or those that followed Auburn:

I am interested in JC's ability to break off runs. Who could he be compared to in this respect? Does he have the potential to be as agile as McNabb?

When a QB can really make something happen w/ his legs, it creates a 3rd dimension to an offense. You then have to account for this possibility, which will either open up things downfield, or create more room for the RB.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic? I suppose I'll have some idea on August 13th...:cheers:

I don't know about McNabb agility. I went to todays camp and I was impressed with the mobility he showed. On one play where there was pressure on him, he scrambled out of the pocket and hit Antonio Bown near the sidelines. He also had a few runs when there was nothing open and he had a running lane.

I saw him in camp today and was very impressed. - He took off a couple of times after a few seconds of holding the ball. - When he did, he ran and juked around and made people miss.

One of my buddies with me commented that he looked like Culpepper.

Campbell is a solid scrambler. He's not going to instill fear in defenses from his speed or running ability, but he will make yards simply because he is a proficient scrambler. The Auburn offense even had a couple of designed QB runs and sweeps simply because Campbell can pickup yards. He's no burner, however. He knows how to read blocks and make moves with just enough speed to where he'll be picking up some yards on runs and keeping LBs more honest to open up the passing lanes a bit.

What excites me more than his scrambling, however, is his willingness to scramble out of the pocket to buy time to make plays downfield. He did this over and over at Auburn and showed this attribute at the Senior Bowl as well. It shows a patience that many young players can't display.

As one of this board's biggest Campbell champions, I couldn't be more happy with the Skins selection of him. He reminds me of a slightly slower, less quick McNabb with a much more accurate arm.

Originally posted by Mooka

hes athletic but hes not a scrambling QB.

2004:

58 rushes for 30yds and 3 TDs

2003:

73rushes for -1yds and 1 TD

NCAA QB rushing stats include QB sacks. You need to take out sacks for rushing attempts and negative rushing yards to get a clearer picture from stats.

Culpepper and McNabb arent blazing fast either. I believe Mcnabb was a 4.67 and Culpepper was a 4.96. The thing that makes them so great at scrambling is their presence and their awareness. They know when to scramble, and have enough legs to do it. In addition, they have size, so that can just shrug off tacklers.

Definitly not Michael Vick though.

I guess theres three kinds of passer:

Traditional Pocket Passer

Scrambling QB (probaly 4.4 or below 40's)

Balanced QB (ala, Mcnabb, Culpepper, McCown even)

Why is it that this kid is being compared to every black QB in the book and none of the white ones? Not to play the race card here, but the thing is. This kid does not, at least by my estimation, play like the typical athletic "black" quarterback. To me he is a kid who makes the proper reads, is pretty accurate, can buy time with his legs, can scramble when necessary, but will kill you with his arm.

I found the same comparisons were being made when Leftwhich was coming out of school. In my opinion he is about as mobile as Bledsoe.

Originally posted by BIGGS_DADDY

Why is it that this kid is being compared to every black QB in the book and none of the white ones? Not to play the race card here, but the thing is. This kid does not, at least by my estimation, play like the typical athletic "black" quarterback. To me he is a kid who makes the proper reads, is pretty accurate, can buy time with his legs, can scramble when necessary, but will kill you with his arm.

I found the same comparisons were being made when Leftwhich was coming out of school. In my opinion he is about as mobile as Bledsoe.

It Kills me when people compare Leftwitch to Daunte or Mcnabb.

Cambell is a lot like Aaron Brooks though size and physicall ablity. Not too many tall white Q.B.s who are mobile with a good arm.

boy a leftwich to duante or mcnabb comparison is just wrong, leftwich is a tree, i guessing that the reason you would compare campbell to another black qb is that the majority( not all ) of the scambling type qb are black. i admitt i havent seen alot of campbell but what i did i first thought od duante not because of color but his build/size.

Originally posted by bobzmuda

NCAA QB rushing stats include QB sacks. You need to take out sacks for rushing attempts and negative rushing yards to get a clearer picture from stats.

While taking away his sacks would improve his rushing yards, he still only had a few runs and over half of those were not planned. While he can scramble, he's primarily a dropback passer. Think Doug Williams.

Originally posted by citigent

boy a leftwich to duante or mcnabb comparison is just wrong, leftwich is a tree, i guessing that the reason you would compare campbell to another black qb is that the majority( not all ) of the scambling type qb are black. i admitt i havent seen alot of campbell but what i did i first thought od duante not because of color but his build/size.

I can almost understand the Culpepper comparison. Although Campbell is nowhere near a wide as DC, and DC throws the ball like it has to get through a brick wall, sort of like Favre.

Archived