Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell's scrambling ability?

I am as big a supporter of the Campbell selection as they come, but I think its safe to say that JC's mobility should not be mentioned in the same sentence as McNabb's.

Just as a few people mentioned, I think JC is very athletic. BUT I think his athleticism is best suited as a means to supplement his arm AKA escaping pressure in the pocket in order to make a throw downfield. I DON'T think his athleticism is akin to that posessed by so called "scramblers." I'm sure he can make some people miss from time to time, but he is no Daunte, McNabb, Vick, R. Cunningham etc. I would be most inclined to compare him to McNair and I'm not even sure he is deserving of that comparison (I am only speaking about scrambling ability here).

And to the individual who compared JC to John Elway: I urge you to go watch old Elway highlights, especially those from the prime of his career. He was one of the most elusive QBs ever behind the line of scrimmage.

In a few years he will gain his adult "weight" around the age of 23-25, then he will have more mass comparable to Culpepper. I watched some of his highlights and was pretty impressed, he has great poise.

In response to a comment made a few posts ago, the only reason people compare him to black quarterbacks because:

1. He's black

2. There's no white Mcnabb/Culpepper like player with the comparable build with the ability to rush and be a pocket passer that I've seen in the past 5-10 years.

The last rushing QB I can think of was or is Jeff Garcia, but he doesn't have the same build. Also we haven't seen JC play yet so it's hard to make comparisons this early. Who know's he might be like a Jeff Garcia or Steve Young but time will tell. It's really not about race, it's about tendencies, and quite simply, athletic ability.

Originally posted by jpark

I am as big a supporter of the Campbell selection as they come, but I think its safe to say that JC's mobility should not be mentioned in the same sentence as McNabb's.

Just as a few people mentioned, I think JC is very athletic. BUT I think his athleticism is best suited as a means to supplement his arm AKA escaping pressure in the pocket in order to make a throw downfield. I DON'T think his athleticism is akin to that posessed by so called "scramblers." I'm sure he can make some people miss from time to time, but he is no Daunte, McNabb, Vick, R. Cunningham etc. I would be most inclined to compare him to McNair and I'm not even sure he is deserving of that comparison (I am only speaking about scrambling ability here).

And to the individual who compared JC to John Elway: I urge you to go watch old Elway highlights, especially those from the prime of his career. He was one of the most elusive QBs ever behind the line of scrimmage.

Elusive yes. But was he flat out fast? No. That is the same way I feel about Campbell. But I will say this. If anyone else can compare him to McNabb, then I can compare him to Elway.

Originally posted by DjKam1

In a few years he will gain his adult "weight" around the age of 23-25, then he will have more mass comparable to Culpepper. I watched some of his highlights and was pretty impressed, he has great poise.

In response to a comment made a few posts ago, the only reason people compare him to black quarterbacks because:

1. He's black

2. There's no white Mcnabb/Culpepper like player with the comparable build with the ability to rush and be a pocket passer that I've seen in the past 5-10 years.

The last rushing QB I can think of was or is Jeff Garcia, but he doesn't have the same build. Also we haven't seen JC play yet so it's hard to make comparisons this early. Who know's he might be like a Jeff Garcia or Steve Young but time will tell. It's really not about race, it's about tendencies, and quite simply, athletic ability.

So all the posts about not seeing race when evaluating a qb, was that lip service?

Campbell's build isn't comparable to McNabb's. And maybe if that weight does get added on, then you may make the comparison to Culpepper. As far as Height and weight goes Campbell is comparable to you prototypical quarterback.

There doesn't seem to be any black players that you can easily compare Campbell to either, but he is, and for what seems to be no other reason than the fact that he is black.

I'm not calling anyone on this board a racist or anything of that nature, so don't start freaking out. I just think that this kid is being evaluated by a standard that doesn't fit his talents.

The last rushing QB I can think of was or is Jeff Garcia, but he doesn't have the same build. Also we haven't seen JC play yet so it's hard to make comparisons this early. Who know's he might be like a Jeff Garcia or Steve Young but time will tell. It's really not about race, it's about tendencies, and quite simply, athletic ability. [/b]

What about Roethlisberger? Alex Smith?? Those guys can pull it down and run...but people focus more on the fact that they are good QBs. For some reason McNabb/Culpepper/McNair will never escape the "black running qb" stigma.

Originally posted by Joeythetapeworm

I think that that's a very fast minimum speed. Many, many possession receivers can only run a 4.5 or 4.55.

A true scrambling QB JUST scrambles basically. Mike Vick is probaly the only one.

Every other QB that scrambles, is basically balanced, IMHO.

I dont watch a lot of college football myself, but a guy at work does and he was saying that Campbell is basically somewhere between Culpepper and McNabb, closer to Culpepper but a little faster and a lil smaller.

I would think he wouldnt have had much opportunity to scramble in college considering the caliber of the two running backs. Im sure defenses played close to the line to stop the run, so Jason's job was fairly strictly to throw some passes over their heads, but again, I dont watch much college football so I dont know

I think we should start him this year.

I mean really this guy has everything you could want in a QB...

He may be the future but I personally do not want to put a rookie QB out on the field this year with this schedule.

The learning curve from collage to the pros is just to steep.

Very easy to look good in camp when things are structured.

Much different at game time.

From what i have read he sounds like the real deal, just a raw version of it that needs to be polished.

Also why cannot folks discuss Jason's ability alone without having to justify it by slamming Ramsey.

PR has not done anything to anybody on this board to deserve this kind of treatment. He is the starting QB, people should try supporting him until he proves that he is just not going to work out.

The Skins are in a good postion with two talanted Qb's. Now if either of them lives up to their talent then we will be in good shape.

Hell of alot better than the Danny, Shane fiasco.

I think Campbell is more a Jake Plummer type QB. A guy who can make plays outside the pocket and is evasive and athletic enough to get out of trouble in the pocket while looking to make plays first in the passing game. Maybe like a McNair is NOW.

Campbell's throwing ability and descision-making don't compare to Roethlisberger. Big Ben is a much more mature QB. In terms of just scrambling ability, the comparison is valid, but I don't see the importance of isolating just that. A QB's job is to garner wins by throwing the ball well. Who cares what he runs like, if he can't do that?

Originally posted by BIGGS_DADDY

Why is it that this kid is being compared to every black QB in the book and none of the white ones? Not to play the race card here, but the thing is. This kid does not, at least by my estimation, play like the typical athletic "black" quarterback. To me he is a kid who makes the proper reads, is pretty accurate, can buy time with his legs, can scramble when necessary, but will kill you with his arm.

I found the same comparisons were being made when Leftwhich was coming out of school. In my opinion he is about as mobile as Bledsoe.

The only reason I mentioned Culpepper is because not only is he mobile like Culpepper, but seeing him in person, his size (height) reminds you of DC.

Leftwich reminds me of Jared Lorenzen. - Big, good arm, not fast, but somehow elusive.

Archived