Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cops Accuse N.Y. Teacher of Raping Boy

flyingtiger1013

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164481,00.html

ALBANY, N.Y. — A 42-year-old teacher at a Catholic school who was charged with rape for allegedly having sex with an underage male student posted a $20,000 bond Tuesday and was released from jail.

Authorities said Sandra Beth Geisel (search) had sex with four students from the Christian Brothers Academy (search) in Colonie, N.Y., but in three of the cases the boys were 17-years-old and therefore were legally able to give their consent. Geisel faces sexual assault charges for allegedly having sex with a 16-year-old boy.

John Aretakis, who has represented alleged victims of clerical sexual abuse and is now the lawyer for a 17-year-old CBA student who allegedly had sex Geisel, said her "bizarre and irresponsible behavior" was ignored for months by the school.

Geisel, a mother of four, was fired from the school in June. She was on the school's payroll first as an English teacher and then as a volunteer in the school's writing lab.

Police in Cohoes, a town adjacent to Colonie, responded to a resident's call June 11 about a suspicious parked car. What police said they found was Geisel and a 17-year-old student inside the car.

About a week later, the school sent a letter to parents about the alleged affair, though officials didn't identify the teacher. Officials said they'd found the conduct inappropriate.

However, after reports of Geisel's dismissal spread, a 16-year-old student, at the urging of his parents, reported to Colonie police that he'd had two sexual encounters with her, according to the Troy Record.

"If [Geisel] were a man, she'd likely be referred to as a predator," said Colonie Police Chief Steven Heider after the mother of four was remanded.

She faces 16 years in prison.

Heider said Geisel first had sex with the 16-year-old the night of May 15 in her Latham home, and then again on the night of May 28 in the press box at the CBA football field.

Signed statements by the boy and others describe a number of sexual encounters involving the former teacher.

On the online RateMyTeachers.com, Geisel won lascivious praise from one — and real admiration from others.

For example, one student went on line in March to pant, "down boy down — get what I'm saying guys." Another, last November, declared her "much more" than "just a pretty face." Another, in February, called her an "amazing writer."

I don't know if I agree with the term "rape" being used in a case where a female teacher had sex with a 16 year old boy. It's part sexism on my part and partly that I just don't think 16 years olds are dumb enough to be considered victim of statutory rape.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's my opinion at the moment.

Originally posted by Fred Jones

At a Catholic school no less. She just bought herself a ticket down south.

I agree, consent with a 16 year old is not rape.

On a side note, she could have gone swinging and taken care of herself that way and avoided going to jail.

Is it rape if the sexes are reversed? I frankly am not sure.

Originally posted by Destino

I don't know if I agree with the term "rape" being used in a case where a female teacher had sex with a 16 year old boy. It's part sexism on my part and partly that I just don't think 16 years olds are dumb enough to be considered victim of statutory rape.

I'm sure I'm wrong, but that's my opinion at the moment.

Yeah I agree, I don't think this falls in the category of rape. I’m sure the sixteen year old was not forced to have sex with her!!!

Originally posted by SkinsD

Is that fair tho, if the sexes were reversed we all would be calling for long prison terms.

I'm sure I'd be more inclined to view it as a crime, because like it or not I have some sexist view on male versus female roles. Having said that I still fail to see sex with a willing 16 year old as "rape." Rape conjurs images of a helpless victim having something forced on them, I don't see that here at all.

Also 16 years in prison, while strangely fitting given the age of the assumed victim, strikes me as too much for the crime. Then again I almost always think the length of jail terms in this country are too severe. I'd make them all shorter but much harder, and add some pay back the community aspects for several year upon getting out.

Every female teacher I ever had was at least 60 years old. The thought of having sex with them would have never entered our minds :puke:

All the old teacher must have died off and been replaced by younger ladies. She ain't bad for 42 yrs old :)

.....but you would think with these types of stories coming out every other day that these teachers would STOP HAVING SEX WITH THEIR STUDENTS...otherwise you will end up on the 6:00 evening news.

Not sure how N.Y. statutes read but in Virginia it would not be considered rape. She would be charged with Indecent Liberties with a Minor (Supervisory), due to her being a teacher. A felony. In Va. a male cannot in the legal definition be raped. The laws are somewhat confusing, depending on the age of the victim, consentual or non consentual, and the supervisory nature of the accused, all goes in to determining which charges are brought.

I have 2 lil girls and wouldnt consider consentual sex with a 16 year old girl from a male teacher rape and i'm a hypocrit.....

15? yes... I thought 16 was the age of consent????

Either way its abuse of power (sex harassment) as she can threaten to fail you if you don't step up to the buffet correctly ;).. so there is that...

However, after reports of Geisel's dismissal spread, a 16-year-old student, at the urging of his parents, reported to Colonie police that he'd had two sexual encounters with her, according to the Troy Record.

....oh yea, and another thing....if I was 16 yrs old and was having sex with a not-to-shabby looking 42 yr old teacher, I sure as hell ain't telling my parents about it :D

See what Mary Kay LaTourneau started....

I don't think we have double standards here.

While I may find a 42 year old male having sex with a 16 year old repugnant(esp when in a position of authority) but it is NOT RAPE.

Same here. It is not 'rape' if you want to say 'statutory sexual crime' then fine.

"rape" with no qualifying words should not be used unless the child is pre-pubescent or if the individual is forced to engage in the activity.

Originally posted by Thiebear

I have 2 lil girls and wouldnt consider consentual sex with a 16 year old girl from a male teacher rape and i'm a hypocrit.....

15? yes... I thought 16 was the age of consent????

Either way its abuse of power (sex harassment) as she can threaten to fail you if you don't step up to the buffet correctly ;).. so there is that...

In Va. consentual sex with a female between the age of 13 and 15 is called Carnal Knowledge. Under 13 a minor cannot consent and the charge is Rape. The distinction in this case here would be the accused's position as a teacher and the victims status as her student.

Originally posted by dks1240

most kids are having sex even before the age of 16 nowadays, the kid knew what he was getting himself into. i wouldnt label this 'rape' either.

If the accused was not his teacher it would only be a msd. here in Va. Charge being Indecent Liberties with a minor (non supervisory) The laws get very confusing and certain statutes overlap some while not covering others.

To confuse even more, if for example a 13 or 14 year old consented to sex with someone 3 years her senior it is a felony. But if that individual is less than 3 years her senior its a misd.

Have I bored you yet?:)

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

I don't think we have double standards here.

While I may find a 42 year old male having sex with a 16 year old repugnant(esp when in a position of authority) but it is NOT RAPE.

Same here. It is not 'rape' if you want to say 'statutory sexual crime' then fine.

"rape" with no qualifying words should not be used unless the child is pre-pubescent or if the individual is forced to engage in the activity.

The proper name for it is Statutory Rape and it is RAPE,

If a male teacher has sex with a willing 16 year old girl it is still rape. Even if she begged for it, its RAPE, That man would be put under the jail, he'd be a predator, a sicko, and any other negative comment the media could think of.

But when a women does it we think its O.K because it was a boy.

WRONG Its RAPE in both cases period.

Originally posted by dahurt002

If a male teacher has sex with a willing 16 year old girl it is still rape. Even if she begged for it, its RAPE, That man would be put under the jail, he'd be a predator, a sicko, and any other negative comment the media could think of.

I guess you didn't get my post. I'm making the argument that statutory rape is NOT rape, as it is typically defined differently(most states have crimes involving sex with minors distinguished from child rape or sexual contact with a young child--13 and under or something like that)

What I'm also saying is that calling something like this 'rape' dilutes the power and meaning of ACTUAL rapes out there.

Originally posted by dahurt002

By the letter of the law, at least in this state, its not rape. There maybe other codes that cover it as I mentioned earlier, but it's not Rape.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

I guess you didn't get my post. I'm making the argument that statutory rape is NOT rape, as it is typically defined differently(most states have crimes involving sex with minors distinguished from child rape or sexual contact with a young child--13 and under or something like that)

What I'm also saying is that calling something like this 'rape' dilutes the power and meaning of ACTUAL rapes out there.

Well put. :)

Archived