Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Authentic Jersey's (The Whites...)

SamSneed36

Ok so I have a Taylor burgundy authentic jersey, #36 that fical SOB! j/k Its a sweet jersy, just like the real one...

Anyway, last week I decided I had to have a Portis authentic since he is my second favorite player, and I decided I wanted a white one since I had the burgundy and the skins only where the white ones when coach Gibbs is in charge, except of course the dallas games in Big D.

I went to the Redskins store and noticed a few things about the white authentic jerseys, and I realized that they werent authentic at all.

First, there is no elastic on the sleeves, which sucks. Maybe im too picky or whatever but its supposed to be authentic, supposed to be what Portis wears, and Portis has flippin elastic.

Second, The mesh of the main body of the jersey should go up to the neck and form a V as it changes to solid material over the shoulder. The so-called Authentics have the mesh stopping high up on the chest in a stright line across.

Third, the numbers are slighly smaller on the front of the jersey then they are on the back.

It looks as if all the whites are modeled after a QB authentic, I know Ramsey doesnt have elastic and maybe the numbers are smaller in the front because those numbers are pretty stiff and may mess with the throwing motion i have no idea. Looking at pics however, I see his mesh DOES make the V.

So why are the white jersies not authentic?? Why are they different then the burgundy ones? it makes no sense at all and its extremely annoying! Am I overreacting, because I really think for $300 it should be the real deal.

Originally posted by KingTaylor21

yea i think that is a replithentic.....

What the deuce is a replithentic? a step up from a replica but a step below an authentic? Thats like what you would get if a replica and an authentic mated. but i digress...

anyway, here's a pic of a portis red authentic...note the difference between this one and the one that sneed talked about in his first post. clearly a difference there in the style...i'd be a bit annoyed too, for droppin 300 bucks on a white jersey deemed authentic when its not what they wear on the field.

31-39934-P.jpg

Originally posted by Duke

If you don't want to spend $300 on an "authentic" jersey, try to go eBay instead. You might be able to find the similar quality for cheaper price than NFLShop.

Well thats not really the point. The point is they shouldnt call it authentic if it isnt, they shouldnt charge 300 if it isnt. Id be fine paying 300 if the white portis was authentic but its not for some reason.

If you're really interested in this topic, here is a lot of info:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5223529435

The sad fact is, it's impossible to buy a true authentic Redskins Jersey from the NFL or the Redskins. The NFL and the Redskins sell fake jerseys. But they want you to think they are selling real jerseys. So they call their jerseys authentic, but they're not really authentic. They're fakes.

Here's the NFL's definition of authentic jersey: The Authentic Jersey is the official jersey worn on the field by NFL players.

Source: http://www.nflshop.com/nfl/index.jsp?pageId=nflCustomerService&catId=2200028&pageType=detailLevel2

And yet, their authentic jerseys, which costs you, their customer, hundreds of dollars, aren't even as they describe in their own definition. Amazing!

Even the burgundy jersey pictured above, with the tight sleeves and the V shaped seam, is a fake. The sleeves are wrong. But they cross their fingers and hope you don't notice.

I've been complaining about this for a long time.

I own couple of authentic jerseys and though they are nice I have noticed that there are some differences between what is sold in stores and what the players wear.

On thing is what you mentioned that the mesh does not go up to the neck and form a. I don't blame you for being picky, you spend good money to wear what the players wear. For me when I got the Jerseys there was no refund on personalized jerseys.

I remember back in 1998 I bought an Authentic Cal Ripen Jr. Orioles from a mall when I lived in Denver. When i got it home I looked at it and even though the actual jersey was official "RIPKEN" was sewn on the jersey and not on a name plate, at the time the Orioles Names were sewn on a name plate and not directly on the jersey and the #8 on the front of the Jersey was black w/ orange out line when the O's Jerseys numbers were Orange w/ black outlines. I ended up returning the jersey for a refund.

I remember back in the early 90s I bought a so called official Redskin Jersey from Logo Sports Inc and it was a fake. First of all it was made by Russell and the Redskin Jerseys were made by Starter, there was non elastic on the side of the jerseys and to top it off the #2s on the jersey did not look like the 2s on the normal Redskin Jersey. I did not notice it until a few months after I bought it because at the time I got it I was so siked up to finally get an official Redskin Jersey.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

Here's 8 freakin pages on this topic. As they say, the truth is right there.

I remember that thread, I was the last one to post in it. No conclusions ever came out of it.

What I would like to see is, everybody come to this disturbing yet obvious conclusion:

NFL.com Redskins authentic jerseys are fakes.

Redskins.com authentic jerseys are fakes.

Redskins store authentic jerseys are fakes.

Here's a pic of a true authentic team-issued game-ready 2002 Redskins jersey from my collection. You can't get these at the Redskins Store. Note the seams. Note the sleeves. Note the size of the numbers. Note the tag. Note that the spandex goes up the side, past the arms, and completely encompasses the entire shoulder and upper back area, including the sleeves. So-called authentic jerseys don't look anything like this.

I suspect that the reason for this is that they're just two different products with two different purposes. The on field product is a business expense whereas the consumer product is a revenue generator.

The quotes are of e-bay dude's discussion of the differences.

Here's a true authentic NFL team-issued football jersey... Sides are spandex which keep the jersey "cling-wrapped" to the player's body.

This would probably be uncomfortable for most fans who have, cough, cough, a little extra "padding" around the middle. Try to get a mental image of Lenny the Hut in a form fitting jersey that shows off his hot man boobs. See what I mean?

This style jersey with the tight sleeves is the same style which has been worn by many of the Redskins players on the field and in practice for the past 17-18 seasons.

Sorry, but even NFL kickers have better guns compared to the matchsticks that 99.99999%(repeating) fans must live with. Therefore, most fans probably wouldn't look as, 'er "impressive" as NFLers in the jerseys and hence, the different sleeves.

The length on true authentic game jerseys are longer than typical so-called "authentic" consumer jerseys of this size. That's because it needs to be longer to accomodate the large shoulder pads.

I don't know about you, but I don't typically wear shoulder pads under my jersey. Also, I'm not into having my jersey look like a dress. Therefore, I don't need nor desire the extra length.

The width is quite narrow which makes it very tight fitting to make it difficult for opposing players to grab.

See the point about Lenny the Hut above.

Obviously, I could go on but I'll spare you all any further pounding of a dead horse. However, the point is that the jerseys as worn on the field are just not going to be very comfortable for the average fan. Furthermore, as was pointed out, the NFL figured out very quickly that they need a high quality, durable, and custom product for on field use. Therefore, they have the on field product made here in smaller lots where they have greater control over quality, customization etc. Joe six pack OTOH can make do with a cheap, mass produced assembly line product.

The solution to the problem is so simple that I'm amazed that some junior marketing guy at the NFL hasn't figured it out already. That is, sell the on field product as a "Genuine Collector's Edition" or whatever to the anal retentive collector types (like e-bay dude, SamSneed and Mark the Homer) for a hefty sum...say twice the cost of the consumer version. Of course, they would continue to sell the consumer version for folks who actually want to wear the jersey.

I don't have any hard #'s to back it up but I'd bet the NFL's total cost for each jersey is something like $20-$30. Even if my estimate is off by a factor of 3, they're still making a huge boatload of $$ off these things. Then, after you drop $300 on the player's jersey it is effectively made worthless the next year when the guy is traded or released etc. That's why I'm not dropping $300.00 on a product like this anyway. I do however accept gifts;)

Originally posted by Yusuf06

I suspect that the reason for this is that they're just two different products with two different purposes. The on field product is a business expense whereas the consumer product is a revenue generator.

That's fine, but why doesn't nfl.com say that? Instead, they lie. They purposely mislead the buyer into thinking he's buying a jersey just like the one worn on the field by NFL players on game day. That is patently dishonest.

This would probably be uncomfortable for most fans who have, cough, cough, a little extra "padding" around the middle. Try to get a mental image of Lenny the Hut in a form fitting jersey that shows off his hot man boobs. See what I mean?

Sure. So why doesn't nfl.com tell us that? Because they want to mislead us and cheat us, that's why.

I don't know about you, but I don't typically wear shoulder pads under my jersey. Also, I'm not into having my jersey look like a dress. Therefore, I don't need nor desire the extra length.

Theoretically, that's true. However, if you actually try it on, that doesn't happen. The white jersey above is a 46. I'm a mere 5'10, 150 lbs, and when I put the jersey on, it stays at my waist. That's because it's so tight, it doesn't fall below my hips. It actually looks pretty good on me. In fact, I think it kicks ass on me. It makes the other jerseys look like crap. Maybe I'll post a pic of me wearing it.

Obviously, I could go on but I'll spare you all any further pounding of a dead horse. However, the point is that the jerseys as worn on the field are just not going to be very comfortable for the average fan. Furthermore, as was pointed out, the NFL figured out very quickly that they need a high quality, durable, and custom product for on field use. Therefore, they have the on field product made here in smaller lots where they have greater control over quality, customization etc. Joe six pack OTOH can make do with a cheap, mass produced assembly line product.

Okay, but why lie? Why do they have to lie to us and mislead us? Because it's profitable for them to do so, that's why. And who are they to decide what we can "make do" with? I don't want to make do. I want a real jersey.

The solution to the problem is so simple that I'm amazed that some junior marketing guy at the NFL hasn't figured it out already. That is, sell the on field product as a "Genuine Collector's Edition" or whatever to the anal retentive collector types (like e-bay dude, SamSneed and Mark the Homer) for a hefty sum...say twice the cost of the consumer version. Of course, they would continue to sell the consumer version for folks who actually want to wear the jersey.

Well, I actually would want to wear the jersey, but I want it to be real. Not fake. Your solution is fine with me, though. And at least then, they'd be honest about it. But I wouldn't be paying $500 for a gamer, that's too much. I paid $150 for #37 above.

I don't have any hard #'s to back it up but I'd bet the NFL's total cost for each jersey is something like $20-$30. Even if my estimate is off by a factor of 3, they're still making a huge boatload of $$ off these things. Then, after you drop $300 on the player's jersey it is effectively made worthless the next year when the guy is traded or released etc. That's why I'm not dropping $300.00 on a product like this anyway. I do however accept gifts;)

$300 is a little steep for me. As I said, I dropped $150 on #37 above, and I bet I could throw it on eBay and get that right back. Maybe even more.

The authentic jerseys sold on NFL.com and redskins.com are kind of their version of authentic (i.e. it has a different cut and sleeves from what you see on the field, but has the same materials) It is cut different to make it more wearable in a fashion sense. For instance not many people could look good in the tight player cut jersey made for Sean Taylor. Generally speaking the jerseys you see on the field are much trimmer cut than waht you see in the store. I have no idea why they make their elastic sleeves so thick on their "authentics"

What most people want when they are thinking of authentic is "game issued" (i.e. the extra long tail and with the small elastic strip sleeves) These are whats hard to get. Since this style isn't really mass produced or produced for the public it is hard to come by. You may be able to find some game issued jersies on memorbilia websites or even ebay but they usual have a very high premium being that they are usually worn by the specific athlete or issued to the athlete. (as the picture of the #37 jersey shows posted earlier)

I know people will think "well for 250 buck I want what they wear on the field exactly" and you have a point but from a marketing standpoint you are not going to sell many authentics that only look good on trim athletic builds in the general public.

I know people will disagree with me but I'm just stating what I have found out over the years of looking fairly in depth at jerseys.

I'll answer all your questions about why the NFL doesn't just say what the jerseys really are with another question. Why is it that packaged food is shown with a bunch of stuff on it that isn't in the package (e.g. cereal in the bowl with fruit)? Answer, because it's a marketing ploy to make the product more desirable. Just as the food package has fine print somewhere that says "Serving Suggestion" I'd bet the NFL has similar fine print somewhere on the packaging and/or ad for their jerseys.

I agree with you that it's underhanded and a bit sleazey. However that's just marketing in today's world. Big companies get paid for providing big hype/marketing with little quality in the actual product while the consumer gets a big Italian sausage award right in the :moon:

Originally posted by stupidsuck

The authentic jerseys sold on NFL.com and redskins.com are kind of their version of authentic (i.e. it has a different cut and sleeves from what you see on the field, but has the same materials) It is cut different to make it more wearable in a fashion sense. For instance not many people could look good in the tight player cut jersey made for Sean Taylor. Generally speaking the jerseys you see on the field are much trimmer cut than waht you see in the store. I have no idea why they make their elastic sleeves so thick on their "authentics"

What most people want when they are thinking of authentic is "game issued" (i.e. the extra long tail and with the small elastic strip sleeves) These are whats hard to get. Since this style isn't really mass produced or produced for the public it is hard to come by. You may be able to find some game issued jersies on memorbilia websites or even ebay but they usual have a very high premium being that they are usually worn by the specific athlete or issued to the athlete. (as the picture of the #37 jersey shows posted earlier)

I know people will think "well for 250 buck I want what they wear on the field exactly" and you have a point but from a marketing standpoint you are not going to sell many authentics that only look good on trim athletic builds in the general public.

I know people will disagree with me but I'm just stating what I have found out over the years of looking fairly in depth at jerseys.

Actually, it's not the same materials. The authentic jerseys on nfl.com have a pro-brite finish to the fabric. Since 2002, the real Redskins jerseys that the players wear don't have the pro-brite finish on the fabric. In fact, the entire shoulder and sleeve area of true jerseys worn on the field is spandex now, rather than nylon. This is nothing like the authentic jersey sold on nfl.com.

It's not the same fabric. It's not the same materials. It's not the same design. It's not the same sleeves. It's not the same seams. It's not the same fit. It's not the same anything!

Why does nfl.com have to lie?

They could say:

"Here is a jersey for you to purchase that isn't quite the same as the one on the field, because we feel this jersey will be more comfortable for you, and we feel it will look better on you as well."

Instead, they say:

"Here is a jersey for you to purchase which is the same jersey that is worn by NFL players on the field on game day."

And that is a patent lie.

Here's a pic of me wearing #37. I'm 5'10, 154 lbs. I am not an athlete, I don't even go to the gym or weight room. I think the jersey looks great on me.

Originally posted by richard saunders

Mark.... Why does this upset you so much?

You obviously know the difference, so just don't buy...

Yes I do know the difference.

I am merely responding to the original poster who started this thread. There are many people who don't know that the authentic jerseys are fakes. Many people believe that authentic jerseys are, well, authentic. And they're not! I am pointing that fact out.

Originally posted by Mark The Homer

That's fine, but why does nfl.com have to lie?

They could say:

"Here is a jersey for you to purchase that isn't quite the same as the one on the field, because we feel this jersey will be more comfortable for you, and we feel it will look better on you as well."

Instead, they say:

"Here is a jersey for you to purchase which is the same jersey that is worn by NFL players on the field on game day."

And that is a patent lie.

Here's a pic of me wearing #37. I'm 5'10, 154 lbs. I am not an athlete, I don't even go to the gym or weight room. I think the jersey looks great on me.

see it looks fine on you mark, but for people like me and alot of other people, it would look quite ridiculous (my own fault really, I need to start running again) but the replicas and their versions look fine on just about everyone.

I'm like you though, if I shell out the bucks on something authentic, I want it to be like what you see on the field (only mine would hang on the wall, rather than be seen in public, again, my own fault :doh:

I guess they don't tell you it's not exactly the same because most people just plain don't know the difference or could care less, my guess is there aren't enough people complaining about it for them to want to do anything different.

Archived