Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot with minor injury, maybe put on PUP

Here's a update on one of our favorite former players (from the Minny Star Tribune):

Smoot injured?

MANKATO -- Annual physicals administered Friday at Winter Park left the Vikings with several candidates for the physically unable to perform list, a designation that leaves a player unable to participate in any part of practice.

Final decisions will be made this morning, and neither trainer Chuck Barta nor coach Mike Tice would reveal who was under consideration. But it is believed that center Matt Birk, cornerback Fred Smoot and rookie free agent receiver Chris Jones are among the candidates.

Birk underwent hip surgery earlier this summer and was not expected to be ready to do much at the opening of camp.

But Birk said, "I feel better than I have felt in a long time," and he is still expected to be ready for the start of the regular season.

Smoot, meanwhile, complained of neck stiffness, an injury that is not believed to be serious. Jones has a sore hand.

Not much to say

After skipping all the Vikings' spring developmental camps, safety Corey Chavous and cornerback Brian Williams both reported to training camp as promised.

The agents for both had said all along that their clients would be in Mankato on time. Chavous, the Vikings' starting strong safety, is thought to be unhappy with a contract that calls for a $1.9 million base salary in its final year this season.

But Chavous is keeping his reasons to himself for now.

"I've just got nothing to say," he said.

Williams, meanwhile, supposedly wasn't happy the Vikings signed free agent Smoot to take over the starting cornerback spot opposite Antoine Winfield.

However, the Vikings thought enough of Williams that they gave the restricted free agent a first-round tender of $1.43 million, meaning any team that attempted to sign him would have had to part with a first-round selection.

"I wasn't upset," said Williams, who most likely will be used as the Vikings' nickel back this season. "I didn't have to be here. I was in North Carolina."

Indeed, Chavous and Williams did not violate any team rules by skipping the developmental practices, which most players attend but are optional.

Both were at the mandatory minicamp after the draft.

Williams said he spent time with his young daughter and kept in shape with a workout program that he said is "basically the same thing that they are doing up here."

As for the signing of Smoot, Williams said: "I'm excited about the competition. I'm ready for it and looking forward to the season."

Etc.

• The Vikings, Baltimore and Carolina are the three finalists for running back Jesse Chatman, who was released by San Diego this week. Chatman was the Chargers' second-leading rusher in 2004.

• Barta confirmed the Vikings will use a pill that will help the team's medical staff monitor players' core body temperatures during practice. About 25 players will take the CorTemp pill, which contains a tiny thermometer that transmits to a PDA system.

• Although it has long been assumed that the Vikings would move training camp to Anoka County if they build a stadium there, new owner Zygi Wilf said it might not be the case. "We have been here for 40 years, and we look forward to many more years to come," Wilf said.

• Tice has lost 24 pounds since the end of last season, weighing in at 283 pounds.

Archived