Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Documents Show Roberts Influence In Reagan Era

visionary

Originally posted by Kilmer17

So the Dems havent asked for Documents?

They asked for documents because Roberts hasn't been a justice long enough for his opinions to reflect his judicial philosophy or temperment. Is it really that outrageous?

Since 2003 he has been a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit. Prior positions included fourteen years in private law practice, and positions in Republican Administrations in the U.S. Department of Justice and Office of the White House Counsel.

On July 19, 2005, Roberts was nominated by President George W. Bush to fill the vacancy on the U.S. Supreme Court left by the retirement of Associate Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

Originally posted by Predicto

They asked for documents because Roberts hasn't been a justice long enough for his opinions to reflect his judicial philosophy or temperment. Is it really that outrageous?

Of course it is. When they defended Ruth Bader Ginsberg's right to not turn over docs or answer ?s.

He's qualified. That's all that should matter. The Documents are going to show nothing about his judicial temperament, that's a talking point from every lefty on the news. What it WILL show is his views on certain issues, or more likely, the views of his clients.

That should be off limits.

So the Dems havent asked for Documents?

They asked for documents? DOCUMENTS?!

...and now he's RELEASED documents?!...from when he worked for ... the PEOPLE OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?!

...we'll see how this plays out, but I don't see any major problems with asking someone for documents he prepared while in the employ of the government.

I think when people say there hasn't been any dirty tricks, they are talking about stuff like this:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1483260#post1483260

Originally posted by Sarge

OPEN FIRE............. FIRE AT WILL!!!!!!!

OPEN FIRE.........FIRE AT WILL!!!!!!!!!

Girlfriend within 48 hrs

College roommate by the end of the week

Sexual harassment charge after the weekend

...still waiting...

Just so we all agree. Documents were off limits for Ginsberg but not for Roberts.

I've only seen you comment on the documents on Ginsgurgh, and to be honest, I do not know much about it so I can't comment on it. If it is exactly the same case, then I agree she should have given up the documents, but somehow, I think the whole story is not being told.

There are documents that are part of the public record that should absolutely be available and used.

There are documents and memos and briefs written while working in the capacity of a confidant within an administration or as counsel to a person or administration that should be off limits.

There are documents that are part of the public record that should absolutely be available and used.

So far, that's all we've got - memos from his time in the Justice Department, release from the National Archives.

There are documents and memos and briefs written while working in the capacity of a confidant within an administration or as counsel to a person or administration that should be off limits.

Unless given authorization by a client, it would actually be an ethical violation to disclose most of these documents, so I don't really see this becoming a major controversy.

...we can all get upset when something actually happens, which is probably not until September. I think we'll all be disappointed by the ease with which Roberts is confirmed.

I freely admit I wanted a hard right nominee just to watch the fight.

The Docs are becoming an issue because it's a stalling tactic. There are over 100k of docs released so far. So you can easily see what the Dem playbook will be. Delay the hearings saying they havent read all the docs yet.

I freely admit I wanted a hard right nominee just to watch the fight.

The Docs are becoming an issue because it's a stalling tactic. There are over 100k of docs released so far. So you can easily see what the Dem playbook will be. Delay the hearings saying they havent read all the docs yet.

Like I said before: The funniest thing about all of this is how the conservatives are chattering back and forth, so angry at the Democrats' dirty tricks, outrageous posturing and delaying tactics.

Except there haven't been any dirty tricks, outrageous posturing or delaying tactics. People are just ASSUMING that they are going to happen, and already have their outrage meter set on full throttle.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was an appellate court justice for twelve years before her Supreme Court appointment. She had a record to examine.

John Roberts has been a justice for less than two years. He was not a district judge before that. He has very little judicial record to examine, which is part of why he was chosen. So if the Senate can't look at what else he did in his career (those damn documents!) then how else can they possibly evaluate him?

And Reihquist wasnt a judge at all before he was confirmed.

They dont need to look at his memos while acting as counsel to determine if he is qualified. They WOULD need to see them if they wanted to question his politics. Which is EXACTLY what the Dems are doing.

And again, they HAVE started by requesting the docs int he first place.

by "requested" do you mean that they have sought congressional subpoenas, or is this simply Senators talking out of their @ss?

And Reihquist wasnt a judge at all before he was confirmed.

Well, it is possible that things have changed a bit since the Nixon White House era. It still doesn't look as sinister as you are making it out to be.

Archived