Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

just a question

newskinsowner

Just roll with me on this one and try to give a deep down honest opinion, because the offseason is becoming longer by the day..

With all the emphasis on the 5 yard chuck rule on defensive backs now. Do you think Spurrier's offense would have worked in todays NFL which would have taken the pressure off the OL to protect for more than 4-5 seconds?

If Spurrier had he manned up and stayed and aquired more offensive talent like a real running back and a real center, Taylor Jacobs being healthy for a full season as a 3rd wr would the offense have been more productive?

Your thoughts.............

I think Spurrier might have been successful if he hadn't been so stubborn. His lack of a commitment to a running game being his downfall. To me, I don't think it would have mattered if he had a bigtime RB. He had Stephen Davis and didn't use him. In fact he ran Davis out of town. I don't think he ever would have adapted.

I don't really think so, because Spurrier's offense was geared to first look downfield, then start your progression backwards. That's why Ramsey was sacked over 30 times before week 10. That's a helluva lot of sacks. He was right up there David Carr in taking sacks that year, if I remember correctly. Ramsey was being forced to hold the ball way too long because he was trained by SOS to wait for an open receiver downfield first & foremost. So, the answer is more than likely no.

EDIT: My bad, I read the question wrong :doh: :doh: (I just got off work a little while ago...don't mind me...).

Maybe, but I still think that with his progression, the rule wouldn't have changed much, simply because SOS never really concerned himself that much with blocking schemes. Eitherway, the WRs still have to get downfield & when that's the first WR you are looking for, regardless of rule changes, you still put the QB in a bad position of having to constantly avoid a rush. A pass rush can only hold up for so long & if you are having to go from 1-2-3...by that time, in most cases, the QB is already down. Regardless of the rules.

NOW, if he had paid closer attention to blocking schemes or adjusted his progression a bit or been more favorbale towards a rushing attack, then the answer is "probably." But, SOS was Hellbent on making HIS system work in the NFL, regardless of what the NFL was doing. That's why he was unsuccessful, not because of the rules. This is EXACTLY why Joe Gibbs WILL be successful again. Because he doesn't try to force a system into the NFL. He adjusts to how the rest of the NFL is working & then just works around that.

I would have to be in the NO camp too. I think it's very interesting to think about, but I would have to say that he never seemed fully prepared to adjust within a game.

I think we'd have had games where we blew up and dropped 40 on some teams, but if a team had our number in a game, we'd be useless on O.

That isn't really the scheme as much as the man himself, so to answer your actual question, I think a modified version of Spurrier's O could work in the NFL, but only if Spurrier had other minds on the sideline helping him out.

The officials didn't really enforce this rule last year. I recall the Redskins last summer camp getting clarification after clarification about the rule. Then it was arbitrarily enforced last season (usually to our detriment on offense and defense.)

He would have had to change.

I would like to see Gibbs steal a couple of Spurrier's plays though. Just one or two. He could ask Ramsey which ones were his favorites and throw them in on occasion. If there was one thing that Spurrier was good at (before everyone figured him out) it was getting the ball DEEP down the field.

Archived