Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boy, 8, charged in death

rick301

How sad ....

Where were the parents? ...

Boy, 8, charged in death

TAMPA, Fla. — Prosecutors Tuesday charged an 8-year-old boy with aggravated manslaughter for allegedly kicking and punching his infant half-sister and then hitting her in the face with a two-by-four, killing her. If convicted, he could be held in a juvenile facility until his 21st birthday. Jayza Laney Simms was 7 months old when she was killed May 22.

Guest sith lord

I don't think everyone should assume that he had bad parenting. How were they to know he would do something like that considering he probably had never acted like that before. And there is no way you can watch your kids 24/7. I think it's obvious that that the 8 year old was jealous of his new sister.

Originally posted by sith lord

I don't think everyone should assume that he had bad parenting. How were they to know he would do something like that considering he probably had never acted like that before. And there is no way you can watch your kids 24/7. I think it's obvious that that the 8 year old was jealous of his new sister.

DO you realize how YOUNG 7 months is? Our 15 month old is not out of our sight long enough for something like this to happen, much less would a 7 month old. Even when she is in bed, the monitor keeps us in ear shot.

They were probably counting on their 8 year old to watch her, which is too young to be given such responsibility.

I do blame the parents, under no circumstances should a 7 month old be left alone without adult supervision.

Guest sith lord
Originally posted by Kilmer

DO you realize how YOUNG 7 months is? Our 15 month old is not out of our sight long enough for something like this to happen, much less would a 7 month old. Even when she is in bed, the monitor keeps us in ear shot.

They were probably counting on their 8 year old to watch her, which is too young to be given such responsibility.

I do blame the parents, under no circumstances should a 7 month old be left alone without adult supervision.

You don't know that. You're assumming that the parents left the 8 year old to watch over her. I don't believe that. But if that was the case, I'll be the first to say lock them up. And you have to realize that everyone doesn't have monitors. Like I said earlier, this seems like a case of jealous rage.

Originally posted by Kilmer

I agree 100%. My wife and I have a 7 month and there is not one minute of the day where he is left alone!!

It may be obvious jealousy was the reasoning behind the act, but bad parenting must and should be assumed when you start to wonder why an 8 year old would commit an act. We're not talking about just being mean to a baby, we're talking about beating her up and then finishing the job with a 2 by 4! This doesn't seem out of the ordinary to you? Good parents nip the first traces of bad behavior that can escalate and lead to actions like these before something bad like this happens.

Guest sith lord

c

Originally posted by TheSteve

It may be obvious jealousy was the reasoning behind the act, but bad parenting must and should be assumed when you start to wonder why an 8 year old would commit an act. We're not talking about just being mean to a baby, we're talking about beating her up and then finishing the job with a 2 by 4! This doesn't seem out of the ordinary to you? Good parents nip the first traces of bad behavior that can escalate and lead to actions like these before something bad like this happens.

One thing you guys aren't realizing is that the 8 year old is practically a baby himself and who knows what was going through his mind. Also, people who has never shown signs of violence before can commit jealous rage.

Originally posted by The Showstopper

too bad it wasnt texas, i dont care how old you are, you kill someone, you get life w/o parole, or get the chair, or the most painful way out

Yes let's give an 8 year old the chair. Let's stop pretending the legal system is about justice and let's embrace a system based on blood lust and retribution.

You don't know that. You're assumming that the parents left the 8 year old to watch over her. I don't believe that. But if that was the case, I'll be the first to say lock them up. And you have to realize that everyone doesn't have monitors. Like I said earlier, this seems like a case of jealous rage.

But arent you assuming it is/was a jealous rage that caused this? You could very well be right, but you are telling others that to assume it was bad parenting is wrong, well in the same breathe to just assume it was jealousy is just the same.

There are a lot of kids who are jealous of younger, newborn siblings, and yet you almost never hear of such things. Either this 8-year old has a screw loose, or there is something wrong in that household.

Let me guess, you don't have kids, right?

Guest sith lord
Originally posted by redman

There are a lot of kids who are jealous of younger, newborn siblings, and yet you almost never hear of such things. Either this 8-year old has a screw loose, or there is something wrong in that household.

Let me guess, you don't have kids, right?

What does that has to do with anything? And yes, I'm raising my nephew.

Let me ask you this. What if one of your kids picked up a baseball bat and beat someone to death at school. Would you want me to assume you're a bad parent and there's something wrong in your household? I don't think you would and I wouldn't.

Guest sith lord
Originally posted by skinzfan4life

But arent you assuming it is/was a jealous rage that caused this? You could very well be right, but you are telling others that to assume it was bad parenting is wrong, well in the same breathe to just assume it was jealousy is just the same.

You're right, I'm also assumming. But the difference is that I'm not accusing anybody of bad character or being a bad parent. I would like to know the facts before I convict anybody.

What does that has to do with anything? And yes, I'm raising my nephew.

Let me ask you this. What if one of your kids picked up a baseball bat and beat someone to death at school. Would you want me to assume you're a bad parent and there's something wrong in your household? I don't think you would and I wouldn't.

This didn't happen at school. It happened at home with another, much younger child who the parents also had a duty to supervise. Otherwise, your hypothetical is dead nuts on.

Oh, and hell yes you should question the parenting of a child who acts out that way. It's not always attributable to parenting, but the inquiry should occur nonetheless.

I asked about you with kids because I doubt that you've cared for a newborn or are otherwise directly familiar with the level of supervision needed. How old was your nephew when you got custody/guardianship of him?

Guest sith lord

This didn't happen at school. It happened at home with another, much younger child who the parents also had a duty to supervise. Otherwise, your hypothetical is dead nuts on.

Oh, and hell yes you should question the parenting of a child who acts out that way. It's not always attributable to parenting, but the inquiry should occur nonetheless.

I asked about you with kids because I doubt that you've cared for a newborn or are otherwise directly familiar with the level of supervision needed. How old was your nephew when you got custody/guardianship of him?

He's 15 now and he was 10 when he came to live with me. But I have cared for newborns plenty of times. I actually agree that you question the parents, but some people are ready to put these people in jail without knowing all the facts and that is wrong. For all we know, the parent could of been in the bathroom when all this took place.

He's 15 now and he was 10 when he came to live with me. But I have cared for newborns plenty of times. I actually agree that you question the parents, but some people are ready to put these people in jail without knowing all the facts and that is wrong. For all we know, the parent could of been in the bathroom when all this took place.

Here's the thing. That could have happened that way, but if it did it means in the span of only a few minutes, an 8-year old formed a plan to kill an infant and went and carried it out. While it is physically possible for that to have happened, you're talking about such a high and unusual level of derangement in that 8-year old (we're talking Jeffrey Dahmer level depravity here) that I have to seriously doubt it played out quite like that. I could be wrong, but I'd put the chances of my being wrong at under 1%.

Guest sith lord

Here's the thing. That could have happened that way, but if it did it means in the span of only a few minutes, an 8-year old formed a plan to kill an infant and went and carried it out. While it is physically possible for that to have happened, you're talking about such a high and unusual level of derangement in that 8-year old (we're talking Jeffrey Dahmer level depravity here) that I have to seriously doubt it played out quite like that. I could be wrong, but I'd put the chances of my being wrong at under 1%.

I could be wrong also, all I'm saying is that you have to look at every possible scenario. The 8 year old could of been plotting this for weeks. Who knows?

Originally posted by Destino

I don't agree with charging an 8 year old with anything. I'd really like to know what kind of screwed up people managed to corrupt a child this young to the point where he'd do something like this.

Since psychopaths are born and not likely made, it is possible that the parents did nothing wrong.

Now, I'm not saying the kid IS a psychopath, but this kind of thing(regardless of what the "oh nothing changes" crowd) did not used to happen.

I don't think it makes sense to blame the parents. Plenty of bad seeds tear apart families that are good and decent.

This is a little off-topic, but since we're sort of talking about parenting, I was wondering how many of the parents out here (with kids old enough) use physical excercise as punishment?

What I mean is, when I have kids, if they f-up I'll make them do push-ups or sit-ups, or do the ****roach for 5 minutes or something like that. That way, you get stronger, healthier kids at the same time as punishing them. Does anybody do this?

Originally posted by jrockster77

This is a little off-topic, but since we're sort of talking about parenting, I was wondering how many of the parents out here (with kids old enough) use physical excercise as punishment?

What I mean is, when I have kids, if they f-up I'll make them do push-ups or sit-ups, or do the ****roach for 5 minutes or something like that. That way, you get stronger, healthier kids at the same time as punishing them. Does anybody do this?

The only downside I can think of might be that they'd then associate physical fitness/activity with punishment.

Archived