Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT:LaVar hires new attorney to solve contract dispute

Lavarleap56

http://washtimes.com/sports/20050718-122245-9116r.htm

LaVar Arrington has hired a new attorney in hopes of resolving his 19-month-old contract dispute with the Washington Redskins.

"I was brought in to give LaVar a fresh set of eyes," attorney Steve Brown said. "LaVar would like to get a resolution of this before training camp starts [in two weeks], and after reviewing the documents, I expect that we can come to a win-win resolution and LaVar can restore the relationships with the Redskins that are so important to him."

Although Redskins owner Dan Snyder and coach Joe Gibbs are both on extended vacations that aren't due to be completed until just before camp begins at Redskin Park, Brown is hopeful a meeting can be arranged to settle the dispute. NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw also would be expected to participate.

The dispute, which was going to be heard by an arbitrator today before being postponed last week at the request of Brown, Arrington and the NFLPA, stems from the eight-year, $68?million contract extension the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker signed in December 2003. He and agent Carl Poston say the Redskins owe him another $6.5?million in signing bonus for redoing his deal. The Redskins vehemently disagree and say Poston didn't carefully review the contract before signing it.

Arrington missed most of last season following arthroscopic knee surgery. When he needed a followup procedure in April, he blasted the Redskins for not promptly announcing the news. After meeting with Gibbs the next day, Arrington turned around and ripped the media for reporting his anger. He hasn't talked to reporters since.

Notes -- Fullback Nehemiah Broughton, the Redskins' seventh-round draft pick, has agreed to a three-year contract. ... Receiver Rod Gardner is still expected to be cut when the Redskins need his $2.1?million in salary cap space to sign Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell.

Actually, hopefully this is good news. It appears as if LaVar has hired an attorney to come in and negotiate some sort of settlement with the team. Whether or not it's financial, we'll find out. But hopefully this will make the process less painful and more private than having a full blown arbitration.

I guess we'll see.

The only win-win solution is for the arbitrator to rule that the Redskins made no error in it's dealings and that the Postons are solely responsible for the mistake. Then... after announcing this..... Arrington simply shuts his pie hole and plays like he's been talking he's capable of playing since we drafted him.

Another mediocre year from him and I'm officially calling his addition to the roster a bust.

Originally posted by Cskin

The only win-win solution is for the arbitrator to rule that the Redskins made no error in it's dealings and that the Postons are solely responsible for the mistake. Then... after announcing this..... Arrington simply shuts his pie hole and plays like he's been talking he's capable of playing since we drafted him.

Another mediocre year from him and I'm officially calling his addition to the roster a bust.

A legitimate Pro Bowler can't also be a bust.

You can officially take him off your Christmas card list though. ;)

Originally posted by TheDane

Actually, hopefully this is good news. It appears as if LaVar has hired an attorney to come in and negotiate some sort of settlement with the team. Whether or not it's financial, we'll find out. But hopefully this will make the process less painful and more private than having a full blown arbitration.

I guess we'll see.

I think you are absolutely correct!

I wonder if an out of arbitration settlement with the NFLPA's approval would count against the salary cap. If not, the Skins could settle with the "new" attorney and Lavar for somewhat less than the 6.5 Million and be done with this. If the settlement would count against the cap, I don't think there will be a resolution unless we can manufacture some cap room after the start of the season and use all the available cap for this year.

LaVar hires new attorney to solve contract dispute

By David Elfin

THE WASHINGTON TIMES

July 18, 2005

http://washingtontimes.com/sports/20050718-122245-9116r.htm

LaVar Arrington has hired a new attorney in hopes of resolving his 19-month-old contract dispute with the Washington Redskins.

"I was brought in to give LaVar a fresh set of eyes," attorney Steve Brown said. "LaVar would like to get a resolution of this before training camp starts [in two weeks], and after reviewing the documents, I expect that we can come to a win-win resolution and LaVar can restore the relationships with the Redskins that are so important to him."

Although Redskins owner Dan Snyder and coach Joe Gibbs are both on extended vacations that aren't due to be completed until just before camp begins at Redskin Park, Brown is hopeful a meeting can be arranged to settle the dispute. NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw also would be expected to participate.

The dispute, which was going to be heard by an arbitrator today before being postponed last week at the request of Brown, Arrington and the NFLPA, stems from the eight-year, $68?million contract extension the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker signed in December 2003. He and agent Carl Poston say the Redskins owe him another $6.5?million in signing bonus for redoing his deal. The Redskins vehemently disagree and say Poston didn't carefully review the contract before signing it.

Arrington missed most of last season following arthroscopic knee surgery. When he needed a followup procedure in April, he blasted the Redskins for not promptly announcing the news. After meeting with Gibbs the next day, Arrington turned around and ripped the media for reporting his anger. He hasn't talked to reporters since.

Notes -- Fullback Nehemiah Broughton, the Redskins' seventh-round draft pick, has agreed to a three-year contract. ... Receiver Rod Gardner is still expected to be cut when the Redskins need his $2.1?million in salary cap space to sign Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell.

Originally posted by redskin56

I wonder if an out of arbitration settlement with the NFLPA's approval would count against the salary cap. If not, the Skins could settle with the "new" attorney and Lavar for somewhat less than the 6.5 Million and be done with this. If the settlement would count against the cap, I don't think there will be a resolution unless we can manufacture some cap room after the start of the season and use all the available cap for this year.

It's hard to see how the Skins giving Lavar more money would not count under the cap. How it would count is another matter. If it didn't count - this would open the door to teams circumventing the cap by making payments "outside the cap" and the whole system would collapse.

I understand your point thinker; however, even an unfavorable arbitraion ruling against the Redskins would be addressed by the collective bargaining agreement.

In this scenario you could reach an "out of court" settlement, if you will. Such a settlement should be in line with the collective bargaining agreement ("CBA"). Would the CBA preclude "settlement" payments that are not counted toward the salary cap?

Its an interesting questions that I don't have the answer to. Obviously if an arbitrator ruled that the Skins owed him the money under the deal it would count against the cap. Here, the Skins could label it as money spent to avoid the entire situation. Allocation of the "settlement" would be the lynchpin here.

Anyone know how the CBA deals with pre-arbitration settlements?

I love the Redskins and Lavar but would any of us just forget about millions of dollars?? We all would get an attorney and try to get what we think is ours. It's easy to say what someone else will do until were actually in their shoes. It was an oversight by his representatives and he'll probably lose but why not try to win?

I'm hoping that the hiring of an outside lawyer means he is in the process of cutting the Poston's out of the picture. - I thought I had heard some time back that Lavar already had to pay the commish on the contract, so at 5% the Postons have $300k of Lavars money that they're not entitiled to.

here's the win win situation: the redskins win the contract dispute, and lavar realizes it's his agent's fault he lost 6 million. then he hires a new agent, someone more likeable, but not drew rosenhaus, because we all know what that would come to. drew would simply tell lavar to hold out until he gets paid.

Lavar's latest avoidance of arbitration tells me that his new attorney sees little chance of winning. The Redskins are not going to privately negotiate a settlement with Lavar because the Redskins primary objective is to let it go to arbitration and to be officially cleared of any wrongdoing. No team wants to be known as a team that would cheat its players. A settlement would be an admission of wrongdoing.

Just like with TO, I think it's more important to LA to think that he "won" instead of showing up with his tail between his legs. It would be smart for Snyder to give him some sort of resolution and put a public spin on it that an agreement was made.

Archived