Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN:Cowboys Q&A/Redskins mentioned

denverdan

http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/070805cpchatarc.82b68c8e.html

Ware could have an impact season

02:24 PM CDT on Thursday, July 7, 2005

Todd Archer chatted about the Cowboys on Thursday, July 7.

WillinNY: With all the young talent the Cowboys seem to have drafted, it seems like Parcells would want to stick around through the 2006 season. Seems like this team could be salty in '06. Whatcha think?

Todd Archer: His contract runs through 2006, but if the Cowboys don't win this year (however you want to define winning) then I could see a scenario in which Parcells calls it quits. I know he takes pride in the success the Jets have had, largely, with the players he signed and drafted and would like to see that happen here in Dallas.

Blue33: You've written a lot about Demarcus Ware. How many snaps a game will he get? What kind of season do you think he'll have?

Todd Archer: Ware will be one of the starting outside linebackers. He was pretty impressive in the minicamp, especially for a guy that has never played linebacker. He was in position to make a ton of plays. Now, he didn't always make the play but he was there. He'll need some time, but he has the work ethic, attitude and ability to be a very good one.

JW1: Can Damien Robinson make the team?

Todd Archer: Sure, but first they have to sign him. He needed to get into better shape, which is why he was givena second look by the club. Even with the signing of Izell Reese, the Cowboys still need help at safety. If Robinson comes in at low money, take a chance. Lance Schulters, however, does not appear to be on their radar screen right now.

Karl, Pilot Point: How serious is Quincy Morgan's shoulder injury?

Todd Archer: Morgan will be ready for training camp. It's a setback because he needed all the work he could get this off-season.

Jerry Caliendo, Mesquite: Do Jerry and Bill have plans to bring in another veteran incase something unfortunate happens to Bledsoe? Or would Henson be the man to fill in should Bledsoe (knock on wood) get injured for an extended period of time?

Todd Archer: Well, Vinny Testaverde will be available if something happened to Bledsoe and we know Parcells' affinity for the veteran. But I just don't see them bringing in a veteran, unless Bledsoe is out for the year. But said veteran wouldn't be a starter. If Bledsoe goes down they have to take a look at Henson or Tony Romo sits to pee. At some point you have to find out if these guys can play.

Robert Butler: What is the deal with Drew Henson, will he have a chance to play? How is he looking in minicamps?

Todd Archer: We only got to see one minicamp with Henson, and you could see a noted difference in the velocity of his passes. They tinkered with his motion a little and it seems to have helped. He definitely has a chance to play, and I believe not playing him late last season was a mistake. As far as being the starter, that only happens if Bledsoe goes down or has a Chad Hutchinson-like training camp. And I don't expect that to happen.

Bruce Budysz, Whitelaw, Wisc.: Any chance the Cowboys would take a look at wide out Koren Robinson? Maybe help him get his act together. The receiver corps has me worried a bit, both injury and age.

Todd Archer: In a word, no. Robinson has had some major off-field issues and he has difficulties catching passes. That doesn't sound like an upgrade, even if he was a first-round pick. Here's the deal: Parcells does not use four-wide receiver sets often, so what you'll see is Keyshawn Johnson, Terry Glenn, Quincy Morgan and Jason Witten on the field a lot. The Cowboys fourth and fifth receivers (Patrick Crayton, Terrance Copper) have to play special teams. They will address receiver next year in the draft. You're right they are older, but not Jerry Rice-old.

Rick Hayes, Atlanta: Todd, is this the year that the "Parcells Factor" operates at optimal output with the additions of the draft picks and free agents we have added given the consensual thinking that talent is no longer the issue?

Todd Archer: Normally the biggest jump for Parcells' coached teams come in Year 2, but we know that didn't happen here. Going 10-6 in 2003 surprised just about eveyrbody and they were tricked into believing certain players were better than they thought. They didn't take that chance this off-season, so I see Year 3 as being the usual Year 2 for Parcells. Does that make sense?

Luis Sotomayor: If and when the redskins release Rod Gardner, do you think the cowboys would be willing to take a look at him and maybe sign him if the price was right?

Todd Archer: I'm looking at it the same way as Koren Robinson. Parcells does not put a premium on multi-receiver sets, so I can't see them making a play for Gardner (or any other veteran receiver) unless the player wants to come in at the NFL minimum.

Curt Thompson, Castle Rock, Colo.: For the first time that I can remember, Dallas has a bye week in the middle of the season, week 9. It comes at a critical time in the Dallas season. It will provide them time to heal from the 8 previous games and it will also give them two weeks to prepare for the Monday Night tilt in Philly week 10. Dallas always seems to get their bye week in weeks 3 or 4 when it’s really not needed. So my question is, how are the bye weeks determined each year in the NFL?

Todd Archer: Honestly, I'm not really sure. I'll have to ask around to some people and I promise we'll get an answer. I've called two people in and around the league, and they're not really sure. Curt, you've stumped us. Way to go. But I'll get some info as soon as possible.

Frank Summers: Where did the Cowboys get Tom Crowder?

Todd Archer: He was signed last year as an undrafted free agent out of Arkansas. He was a special teams' ace up there but never really had much of a chance to do it last year in the preseason. I know Matt Mosley wrote this the other day, but he could find himself in the mix for one of the final receiver spots.

BrianP: I like the playing field surface the Cowboys use at Texas Stadium right now. Do you know what surface they plan to use at the new stadium in Arlington?

Todd Archer: A final decision hasn't been made yet, but it will probably be a similar surface to the one used at Texas Stadium. I'm sure there will be new kinds of fake grass out by 2009 that would be an upgrade over what they have now. I don't see grass being installed because they want to host other events and several high school and college games during the year.

Ray, Dallas: Expectations for Julius this season?

Todd Archer: I don't think it would be fair to expect Jones to run for 1,700 yards, but he was impressive in the final half of the season. I'd see him in the 1,300-1,500 range with 10 or so touchdowns. Here's a prediction: he makes the Pro Bowl ... if he stays healthy.

Rafael: What is Jerry's succession plan? Will Stephen end up with the team? How old is Jerry? When will he pass them on?

Todd Archer: If George Steinbrenner is still doing his job at 75, I don't see Jerry Jones passing the torch any time soon. He keeps himself in great shape. He's a machine on the Stairmaster. He'll be involved for years to come. I'm not sure they have a set plan, but Stephen is the logical choice to take over. And remember he has a very prominent role right now.

Adam Jackson, Palestine: This isn't really a Cowboys question, I'll stay in the division... what the heck is going on in Washington? Sean Taylor? Their No. 1 draft pick has a foot problem? Will they even be competitive?

Todd Archer: It has been a crazy off-season, for sure. Joe Gibbs didn't have these sorts of issues when he coached the Redskins the first rime around, did he? The Taylor story is still evolving, but I'm sure he faces some sort of suspension from the league if convicted. Carlos Rogers' foot problem really hurts because he's supposed to take over for Fred Smoot. With his availability in question and Taylor's availability in question, the Redskins' defense could be in trouble. But defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is one of the best, so he'll figure it out.

Heres some more:dallasuck

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/12084233.htm

Posted on Fri, Jul. 08, 2005

Cowboys consider signing veteran safety

By CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

Free-agent safety Damien Robinson worked out for the Cowboys on Thursday for second time this off-season in hopes of landing a contract.

The eight-year NFL veteran, who spent last season on the Seattle Seahawks' injured reserve list, played in high school at Dallas Hillcrest and said he would love to resume his career with the team for which he grew up rooting.

Robinson, who also has worked out for the Buffalo Bills, said the decision is now in the hands of the Cowboys and his agent, James Gould.

The Cowboys have been in the market for a free safety to start opposite strong safety Roy Williams. They signed veteran Izell Reese in June to compete with holdovers Keith Davis and Lynn Scott. They could add Robinson to the mix before training camp starts July 28 or bring him in if Reese, Davis or Scott don't pan out in the preseason.

This shows that the guy really doesn't have a clue about the skins D. Rodgers isn't taking over for Smoot, and I really don't see his foot problem as an issue anyway. Let him take the time to heal and he'll see the field when he's ready.

Why are a lot of people making a big deal over Rogers' foot injury? He'll be back BEFORE the end of training camp, and it's highly unlikely he'll be starting in GW's defense before week 8 (if at all) anyways. I really don't get it.

Butthead DMN Writer

Joe Gibbs didn't have these sorts of issues when he coached the Redskins the first rime around, did he?

Indeed, the guy really doesn't have a clue. He needs to stick to writing about what he knows. In other words, not writing at all.

Originally posted by Isifhan

This shows that the guy really doesn't have a clue about the skins D. Rodgers isn't taking over for Smoot, and I really don't see his foot problem as an issue anyway. Let him take the time to heal and he'll see the field when he's ready.

Isn't Rogers the LONG TERM solution at the spot Smoot vacated?

"But defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is one of the best, so he'll figure it out." Yeah, I guess he really doesn't have a clue huh? Hope you're right

:)

Originally posted by THEHEREAFTER

Isn't Rogers the LONG TERM solution at the spot Smoot vacated?

"But defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is one of the best, so he'll figure it out." Yeah, I guess he really doesn't have a clue huh? Hope you're right

:)

A blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

Archived