Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins' Taylor Is Set to File Not-Guilty Plea

EvoSkins

Redskins' Taylor Is Set to File Not-Guilty Plea

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/20/AR2005062001243_pf.html

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 21, 2005; E03

Washington Redskins safety Sean Taylor's defense attorney, Edward Carhart, said yesterday that his client will file a not-guilty plea for Friday's scheduled arraignment should prosecutors pursue two felony charges of assault with a firearm and a misdemeanor count of simple battery.

Carhart added that he hopes to spur the Miami-Dade state attorney's office to drop the charges by meeting with prosecutors today. The 6-foot-2, 232-pound safety will attend the meeting, Carhart said.

Carhart said that he will present evidence and witness accounts that prove that Taylor did not point a gun, as the police have said.

"I sincerely believe that Taylor is innocent of the charges," said Carhart, a well-known trial attorney, who has practiced law in Florida for the past 40 years, including 10 as a prosecutor. "At least one witness I interviewed told me Taylor did not have a gun and that there was no bat. And he will be a great witness who was in Taylor's car."

The police say Taylor pointed a gun at two men who he believed stole his two all-terrain vehicles after driving his 2005 Yukon Denali into a Miami neighborhood while being trailed by friends in another car. According to police reports, Taylor got out of his car and demanded the return of the ATVs. Although no shots were fired, police reports said, Taylor and his friends returned 10 minutes later. At that point, Taylor's co-defendant chased one person with a bat and Taylor punched the other person, police said.

Miami defendants in high-profile cases typically don't show up at their arraignment. Carhart said that he will file a written not-guilty plea on behalf of Taylor -- if the charges stick -- without attending the arraignment. In Florida, defense attorneys aren't required to be present when their client pleads not guilty, Carhart said.

Prosecutor Mike Grieco is overseeing the pre-filing conference, in which the state attorney's office decides whether there is enough evidence to try the case. According to a source involved in the process, Grieco won't make his decision until the meeting with Carhart and Taylor.

Redskins Note: The Redskins reportedly are among three teams interested in free safety Lance Schulters, who was released by the Tennessee Titans last Thursday for salary cap purposes. A source familiar with the situation confirmed the club's interest in Schulters -- once a premier safety -- but a signing wasn't imminent because of his asking price. Schulters's agent, Brian Levy, did not reply to a phone message.

On Saturday, Washington signed safety Tony Dixon, who started seven games for the Dallas Cowboys last season. But Gregg Williams, assistant head coach-defense, told reporters that the club could add another defensive back. The Redskins had been hoping to bolster their secondary even before Taylor's legal issues.

Boy, the Redskins are innovative with the five linebacker, six safety alignment you're about to see :). Shulters would be a very nice signing for experience, depth and more flexibility in case Taylor has an issue at some point this year.

im praying for St i hope he shakes this and learn from it

the media is targeting St he needs to chill out, mature and stop making the headlines

i had a bad dream bout ST he bang some roller groupie that he met at some night club and she claimed he raped her

but in my dream he was innocent ,but the media and us fans ripped him just for making the paper i hope this never comes true

instead of bashing taylor lets just pray for his situation

because bottom line is he is still a Skin

and skins stick together

Originally posted by Art

Boy, the Redskins are innovative with the five linebacker, six safety alignment you're about to see :). Shulters would be a very nice signing for experience, depth and more flexibility in case Taylor has an issue at some point this year.

But you just signed Tony Dixon.

You dont need Schulters. ;)

Originally posted by dem"U"boys26/36

sad ,but ST immaturity has gave him the rep of "guilty till proven innocent"

see, I still can't see where people can say that...... he's never had a problem before with the law. Making immature decision in no way equates criminal behavior.

who knows what happened I'll wait till all the facts come out....whatever happens he is guilty of bad judgement and if hadn't stayed down in FL none of this would have happened....hopefully he will come to realize that hanging with his team is important along with cultivating a good relationship with his coach...

Originally posted by bubba9497

maybe, just maybe Taylor "is" innoscent.... and the two guys lied to get the heat off them.... maybe ;)

Actually I don't think he was smart in confronting alleged perps, but based on how the story has evolved with his involvement seemingly less inflammatory with each new development makes me think he is probably innocent.

You still dont put yourself in a situation as a pro athlete to be arrested for this type of behavior.

Especially after the start to your career. I am glad to see that his attorney has confidence that the case will be resolved in his favor.

You still don't act this way after disrespecting your head coach and team for 6 months

Archived