Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

help! need to know cost of car parts

dks1240

first off...you would all be so proud, i successfully changed my oil tonight, i rule! :)

moving on...need some quick help if anyone knows the answer off hand.

my car had a nice little hit and run last week. i have a ford focus and the cop said it looked like a truck backed into the corner of my hood. anyway, my light is busted and my hood is banged up. i dont have the money to take it to a shop and i dont want to claim it because my insurance will go up. well my dad is mechanically inclined so i want to go ahead and just purchase a headlight and have him put it in for me. about how much would it cost? should i just go through a dealership to order the light?

as for the hood, i figure we will just have to bang out the dent.

Thanks for your help, i rrrrrrrreally appreciate it :cheers:

junkyard is the way to go. I had the same deal last year, while waiting at a light, I kinda ran into the van in front of me accidentally. Luckily we were both stopped before. Anyways, nothing happened to his car so he left, but my hood got banged up and I had to replace one headlight. Called up a couple junkyards, got both a new hood and headlight for 150$. Cost another 100$ or so to repair at a body shop we have gone to before, but putting on a hood is easy enough.

The focus headlamps are the European style ,you must replace the whole assembly.

As far as junkyards you just have to call,Most have a locator network they can see if anyone local has one.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

Duct tape that sucker. :D

That will work:laugh:

Of course if it isjust cracked a little epoxy will work at least till inspection time[if ya'll have those]

DKS....I work for a dealership chain in which we have a Ford dealer. Give me the year of your focus,,or better yet your vehicle identification number and I will see what employee cost is on it. I do Subaru parts and can ship anywhere no cost.

riggo66

Originally posted by dks1240

...and focus' are fairly new cars (2000 and so on), would it be tough for me to find parts for them at a junk yard?

actually, twa is right. My car was a 1990 civic, but there are websites online that can find these parts. What they do is a search, they let you fill in what you need, and then junkyards nationwide or whatever you specify will email you.

I did this at first, most were offering free shipping or a very little shipping charge. They also seemed friendly, theyd personally rather get rid of things, so they were telling me what I would need and how much labor should cost. Just do a google search, and Im sure it will take you there.

Congrats on changing the oil for the first time dks!!!

I gave up doing that a long time ago when these lube places started doing them for $15. That deal is too good to pass up (as long as you don't give in when they tell you that you need our special "gunk remover" which only costs $49.95:))

...but changing the oil is a good thing to know how to do. Congrats.

I've got a question myself that really doesn't merit it's own thread.

How in the hell do I measure the depth of a wheel cover? I need to order a new set, and there are about 10 different depths listed on the site. Any person in the know?

bofluid...I've seen trim rings listed w/ depth in inches but never wheel covers. Always just overall size lile 15"--16" whatever.

I called the place I use for aftertmarket stuff,he deals with Keystone which is a huge aftermarket supplier and asked him how you measure wheel cover depth and he didnt have a clue. Thought mabey outter rim edge to mount. You can always give the company thats selling them a buzz and ask them direct.

DKS, I work for a full service insurance agency. You mentioned that you didn't want to claim it because your insurance would go up. This is not necessarily the case. Insurance agency don't raise rates just because you made a claim. It depends on the history of your claims or how often you are making claims.

I would get an estimate so you know how much it is going to cost if you did take it to a shop. Even if you can't afford to take it to a shop it will give you an idea of how much you saved once you do it on your own if that is what you end up doing.

Unfortunatly I have no information regarding the cost of parts. I would check with Pep Boys. Good luck!!

Archived