Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McCune Pierce of 2005?

budski

I think Holdman is the likely candidate if Barrow is forced to retire. Holdman combines experience and previous time under Greg Blache in Chicago with decent size at 6'1 and 235-240 to play inside.

I think McCune is too raw to be counted on in 2005 as a regular. Although I think he could turn out to be a real player for us on special teams right away.

Marshall I see as too small at 6'0 and 227 to be an effective inside player.

The other guy on the roster I want to see in camp and the preseason is Clifton Smith. The guy is 6'0 and 253 and has decent quickness and athleticism. He seemed close to catching on here in 2003 before a late injury in camp put him out of the picture.

It will be interesting to see what he has to offer.

The thing about McCune is that one of his weaknesses coming out of college was supposedly his football intelligence. Now Pierce was supposed to be one of the smartest football players these coaches and fellow players had seen. Plus Pierce had 4 years of experience. McCune is a rookie. I think it more likely that this guys incredible physical tools and willingness to do the dirty work make him an excellent special teamer right off the bat..Down the road a couple of years, he may turn into that great MLB we are hoping for.

I know williams defense is more complicated than this, but

it always seemed last year the MLB toughest call was how many guys to send on the blitz. Sure am glad smoot is not here for that, did he ever get a sack when he blitzed? When springs came you could almost count on it, and smoot was from the blind side.

I agree with bulldog on this one... I have high hopes for Clifton Smith. People forget about him because of the injury, but he was looking good a couple years ago in preseason and apparently was pretty impressive in camp last season.

But Holdman is your best bet... I would even say he is in a pretty nice situation to potentially be in contention for comeback player of the year honors.

It's gonna be Holdman for now. Marshall is the next bet there. McCune will be kept for special teams. Im not sure if Clifton Smith will make the roster, even though I was hoping he'd be the starter of the future. They wont cut Holdman or Marshall, McCune cause he was a draft pick, Smith is sorta the odd one out even with his contract.

unless he wins the job in camp :)

none of the players mentioned at linebacker have long-term contracts with high dollar bonuses.

Smith could come in and win the job (yes an outside bet) and the Skins would still have Holdman as a top reserve off the bench for any of the three spots.

With both Holdman and Marshall on the bench the Redskins would have a pretty deep linebacking corps.

Originally posted by bulldog

I think Holdman is the likely candidate if Barrow is forced to retire. Holdman combines experience and previous time under Greg Blache in Chicago with decent size at 6'1 and 235-240 to play inside.

I think McCune is too raw to be counted on in 2005 as a regular. Although I think he could turn out to be a real player for us on special teams right away.

Marshall I see as too small at 6'0 and 227 to be an effective inside player.

The other guy on the roster I want to see in camp and the preseason is Clifton Smith. The guy is 6'0 and 253 and has decent quickness and athleticism. He seemed close to catching on here in 2003 before a late injury in camp put him out of the picture.

It will be interesting to see what he has to offer.

:yes:

From all the info on the other LBs, I dont think we will miss Pierce that much. Besides if this guy was so smart and such a key to this defense how come he didnt go to probowl?

It would be wonderful for him to struggle at the Giants and skins to have a better record than them.

We haven't even seen McCune play yet, I'm not ready to deem him the next breakout player on this team. The only reason this is even a question is because people are stuck on his physical appearance.

For the moment it's going to be Holdman as our MLB.

Originally posted by Stricknine

The thing about McCune is that one of his weaknesses coming out of college was supposedly his football intelligence. Now Pierce was supposed to be one of the smartest football players these coaches and fellow players had seen. Plus Pierce had 4 years of experience. McCune is a rookie. I think it more likely that this guys incredible physical tools and willingness to do the dirty work make him an excellent special teamer right off the bat..Down the road a couple of years, he may turn into that great MLB we are hoping for.

A lot of what was said about Pierce was true, and a lot of it was hype. If he was that d@mned smart I'm hoping they would have retained him. What has been most obvious to me about McCune is people tend to want to discount him and he continually proves them wrong. :2cents:

He got a shot. If he is as mature as they say he is, then he can command the huddle, which is the real reason I will miss Pierce. I thought the biggest asset Pierce had was his command of the huddle. McCune may be able to do it. He's been through a lot in life, he seems mature, we'll see.

Archived