Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT: Don't want to pay extra? Then push away from the table sooner than later!

TheKurp

Too fat?

I applaud Southwest Airline's move here. If people don't want to control their eating habits then there should be a price to pay when their obesity infringes on the rest of the population.

Nothing pisses me off more (well maybe a few things do) than when I have to adjust and/or accomodate for someone who is just flat out glutenous.

EAT A SALAD!

Here's an idea. Why not make seats larger and planes hold fewer people instead of charging "larger" people for two seats. Now I'm far from obese, but at 6'3" 230 I don't fit comfortable in the seats.

What's next...Pregnant women getting charged double also?

This is a crock, make larger seats.

Oh, and eating a salad isn't going to help all people. In fact, I wouldn't feel healthy wieghing under 220. So i guess since I'm a little bigger than most people i should feel obligated to pay double from now on no matter what I do.

And while we're at it, why not charge people extra if they use the restroom more than once a flight. man do i hate having to get up and move out of someone elses way so they can release themselves.

I don't think an Airline needs to make their seats bigger because our country is fully of overweight people.

What if in Japan they say "these seats are too big, we need more seats on the planes...not bigger but fewer seats!"

Seriously, these plans fly internationally at times. Overweight people need to worry about their health before a double ticket.

Forget width. At 6'4" I want more leg room. You can sandwich me in 8 to a row, just give me space to put my legs out. It's hell flying when I don't get an exit row seat or bulkhead seat.

At 205 lbs, It's not like I'm a small guy either. A bigger seat would certainly be nice.

Now my biggest question is how they are going to be able to go about charging people double for 2 seats. How many seats are bought online without an agent ever seeing the flyer? I have to say if I bought a ticket, showed up, and then had them try to charge me double, I would be livid.

Think of the midgets, half fare for them.

They are screeming for smaller seats and than maybe you would be the one asking for extra space. No normal American male fits comfortably in airline seats. Eat a steak shrimp!

I would just like to see their standards are as to what is considered to be too big.

I can't wait till they start telling the men and women who serve that they're too large and need to purchase an extra seat. Especially since Uncle Sam is paying the bill.Then the taxpayers will complain about military spending. By all means, give me an extra seat.

But don't dare give that single mom an extra seat so her baby(under 2) has somewhere to sit even though she didn't pay for the ticket. Anyone whose flown enough has seen that happen a time or two. I really don't have a problem with it. My question is, where does it stop.

There is no way to punish overweight people without also charging people who are big but not fat. This ultimately will lead to a lawsuit, which the airlines will lose. Too many variables. Where do you cut off the weight limit? What if a person is under the weight but has an *** the size of Wisconsin? What if a person weighs300 lbs but is 6ft 10 inches tall?

What about smelly people? Or screaming kids? Or the annoying guy that always wants to talk? Or the lady wearing enough perfume to choke a small nation?

Question: How will the airline know if they should charge for an extra seat? When you make a reservation, will they ask your height and weight? Calculate from there? This is ludicrous.

I agree with Kilmer17...I don't want to sit by a smelly person, although I wear perfume.....I haven't drowned a small nation yet.

;)

Texas Blondie

Question to ask as well is what about those who suffer from Obesity? Not someone who has eaten their way into being "large", but someone who is Obese?. This could potentially penalize someone for having a medical condition. Now wouldn't that just open up a new can of worms. Say for instance, those who are overweight due other medical conditions.

When you make a reservation you're charged for a single ticket. When you arrive at the ticket counter or the gate the airline representative will determine whether the size of your @ss will take up more than one seat, thereby robbing the person sitting next to them the full seat they paid for.

It works two ways folks. Why should a normal size person be forced to occupy less than the entire seat that they paid FULL PRICE for because the obese person next to them takes up more than a full seat?

I agree that this is a problem and a nuisance. But there has to be a better answer than this. There is no way in hell this survives a legal challenge. What would be next? Charging a person by weight before they go to an all you can eat buffet?

"Normal" is a person who occupies no more than the size of the seat. If you occupy more than that you have four choices:

1. Buy 2 seats

2. Fly First Class (the seats are larger)

3. Choose an airline whose seats are larger

4. Drive

How is it measured?

Do they have scales at the gate? How would that affect extremely tall people?

Do they have the gate agents wrap a measuring tape ariound someones bulbous arse?

What if the plane isnt 100% full? Do the fatties get to have the second seat grattis? And if not, does the airline make sure noone uses those empty seats to put their laptop or extra bag?

I can't imagine this holding up in court. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

I'll have to call my brother-in-law in Houston who is both a captain for Southwest Airlines AND a lawyer (yes, he is driven). If he can't shine some light on the legality of this thing ... no one can.

I thought this thread was about Sam Adams' signing bonus.

One thing about this policy that isn't getting mentioned everywhere: The charge only applies if, when the passengers begin seating, one passenger can't fit in one seat, and another passenger has to be bumped to make room. (If there's an unsold seat on the plane, then no charge).

My only problem is: the guy who gets bumped should be the person who can't fit in one seat, and didn't tell the airline about it in advance. If the fat (OK, loaded word. But it's shorter than some "more sensitive" one) guy wants to not risk getting bumped, then he should buy two tickets in advance, giving the airline time to plan for his need. (If Southwest wants to have a plan where people who're close to the limit can buy two tickets, and then get a refund if the plane doesn't sell out, then that sounds like a very accomodating solution).

As to who does or doesn't get charged: I think a simple standard is: If the passenger can fit in the seat without raising the armrest, then that's good enough. (If that makes his trip uncomfortable, then he can chose between comfort and cheap).

Agreed Brave. it would be interesting to hear what that driven brother of yours has to say. Seems his expertise covers both subjects. I'm still having trouble with charging someone extra for a medical condition.

Southwest was already taken to court some years ago by an obese passenger who was forced to pay for two seats. The courts dismissed the suit because the policy was not found to be discrimminatory based on the criteria for discrimmination.

The Dept. of Transportation does not object to airlines charging "large" passengers for 2 seats.

If the plane isn't full, passengers who were forced to pay for an additional seat may apply for a refund.

Of course it doesnt help that the seats having gotten smaller over the years while American have gotten bigger.

This appears to be more an issue over profits than it does customer service. Southwest wants to continue to cramp people in (small, average, big) rather than acknowledge that airlines have been packed tighter than sardine cans.

Archived