Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Look at some numbers from last year...

cscmtp

I was over at a Fantasty Football forum site, basically reading people slam the Skins. Just wanted you guys to read what i posted, and look at these numbers-

"Man, a lot of people just HATE the Skins. I think everyone agrees that the offense, other than Portis, was pretty horrid last year. Most of that i attribute to Mark Brunell, and the banged up and depleated line. But one thing i think people forget about it, is despite having such a HORRIBLE offense, this team went 6-10. And let's look at the losses:

Week 2 @ Giants, lost 20-14, thanks to Brunell's turnover (the Skins had 7 on the day) which lead to 17 points for the Giants. By the way, the Skins had more total yards, time of possession, etc. This was a game they should and could have easily won.

Week 3 vs Dallas, lost 21-18. This was the game where the Skins were driving at the end of the game, and Rod Gardner SUPPOSEDLY didn't get out of bounds at the 21 yard line to stop the clock for a FG to tie the game. Again, Skins had more net yards, 1st downs, and time of possession.

Week 4 @ Browns, lost 17-13. This was the first time this year the Skins didn't have more yards, time of possession, etc. They just sucked this game. But still, you see the pattern, only lost by 4 pts.

Week 5 vs Ravens, lost 17-10. Key to this loss- Mark Brunell threw for just 83 yards and was sacked three times and had 3 INTS. Still, they Skins were in this game, despite one of the worst QB performances i've seen in 33 years of watching football.

Week 6 vs Packers, lost 28-14. This score is VERY misleading. With 2:35 minutes left to play, Portis catches a 43 yard TD to put the Skins up by 1...but a mystery FLAG on the play. On the next play, Brunell throws his 2nd INT of the day, which is returned for a TD.

week 8 vs Bengals, lost 17-10. Skins QBs had 3 INTs (Ramsey and Brunell played this game) ANOTHER 7 pts or less loss...

I could go on, another 3 pt loss vs the Eagles, where the Skins lead time of possession, had the exact same yardage, and Ramsey throws an INT in the endzone late in the game. Another 3 pt loss to Dallas, a 9 pt loss @ Pittsburg...

This HORRIBLE offensive team still won 6 games, and lost 8 of the other 10 by a TD or less.

This team is NOT that far away. Brunell lost 5 of those games by himself.

While everyone says Gibbs has lost it, inside Redskins Park, they say the team hasn't been this close, this together, in a loooong long time. Haters can hate, but if you look at the entire games, the Skins competed at a MUCH higher level last year then probably since 1999.

All they need is average, decent, dependable QB play, and Portis to run the same he did last year (and he will run better with Jansen and Rabach) and this team could win 8-10 games.

I'm not saying they will pass the Eagles in the division. That is still the team to beat. But to assume Gibbs is over the hill, that the team is just horrible, well, then you're not watching their games."

Guys, our team is NOT that far away from the playoffs. In fact, i expect them to be there next year, assuming Ramsey or Campbell can give us consistant QB play. That's all we need. Go Skins!!!

Originally posted by dg28daman

That is the real reason the offence was so incredibally fruterating last year. I think we could lived with being a bad team, but the fact that we were THIS close to being a good team was so frusterating.

But also more than a little encouraging and hopeful for next season. It's not like we were blown out of the water on any of our loses. We had a chance to win every game, except for the Pittsburgh game, really. IF we can gel as a team, and get even mediocre play out of the QB position, we should be much better off this year. If Ramsey can put together a decent, or even good year, we should be in the playoffs. Good post, cscmtp

Guest BleedinBurgundyandGold
Originally posted by BigDFan

He actually didn't get out of bounds

no he didn't, but there was obvious pass interference on the play by roy williams....he made contact at least a second before gardner caught the ball.

Originally posted by BleedinBurgundyandGold

no he didn't, but there was obvious pass interference on the play by roy williams....he made contact at least a second before gardner caught the ball.

No he hit him a second after he caught the ball

roygardner.gif

I don't buy the "we were this close to winning" stuff.

It takes a real bad to team to continue to find ways to lose close games. I'll take the team that goes 10-6 with 6 bad losses over the team that's 6-10 with 10 losses by a point.

It's the wins that count, and lately we haven't had any. That's not to say we can't improve, but looking at the record the last three or four seasons and saying "look we're on our way up" is a bit silly.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

MOST games in the NFL are decided by a handful of plays. Every team in the NFL can do such an exercise and produce a winning schedule, I'd venture.

Obviously you weren't watching the skins this year. It usually boiled down to one if not two key plays. That's damn close.

That second Philly game was lost by a critical/non pass inter. call on Springs. Ramsey threw an int, but to hand a team a 60+yd gain including first and goal is a crime.

In fact it was offensive pass int. on Owens. I still have it TIVO'ed, can't swallow that one. That game and the Minnesota game I was the most proud of them. They are close.

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

I don't buy the "we were this close to winning" stuff.

It takes a real bad to team to continue to find ways to lose close games. I'll take the team that goes 10-6 with 6 bad losses over the team that's 6-10 with 10 losses by a point.

It's the wins that count, and lately we haven't had any. That's not to say we can't improve, but looking at the record the last three or four seasons and saying "look we're on our way up" is a bit silly.

Agreed.. "Good" teams, win the games they are supposed too, and Good teams find a way to win the close ones.

Originally posted by Gothtimus

Agreed.. "Good" teams, win the games they are supposed too, and Good teams find a way to win the close ones.

I'm not saying the Skins were "good" last year at all. You are absolutely right, those games that were close would have been pulled out by a "good" team. Or at least some of them. My arguement is simply that we have reason to hope that this coming season will be good. Not great. Not Super Bowl or Conference Championship, but good, with at least a run at the playoffs. With a modicum of improvement on offense (specifically Ramsey), we shoud field a team that is more capable of winning at least a few of those close games.

We also had some very, correction, a tremendous number of very suspiscious calls that the tv annalysts (the guys calling the game) constantly disagreed with. We also had far too many penalties that could not be found on any angle of television replay. Finally, I bet if we did an analysis we would find almost every team we played against received far below their season average on penalties... it is amazing how many pass interferances, holdings, false starts, late hits were not called on our opponents.

Still bitter about the reffing last year.

Archived