Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Positional Spending and Roster building

Timberob

Quick question... Which positional group is the best for the Redskins this year?  I think one could logically argue it is the defensive lines hands down.  I came across this website https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/defensive-line  that shows how much of the cap each team allocates to each position.  The Redskins currently spend the 32nd most amount on money on their dlinemen.  I think this is remarkable and shows how well we are drafting with this usually high priced piece of a defense being paid peanuts (comparably speaking of course).  Out of curiosity, which position group do you think the Redskins pay the most?  Guess before you check..

Our DL spending is skewed by playing a 3-4 and having Kerrigan count as an OLB instead of a DE.  We're top ten in linebacker spending as a result.

A lot of recent draft picks playing on rookie deals is how we got our DL spending down so much.  But it'll start costing some money when it's time to pay Allen and possibly Ioannidis too.

On 10/24/2018 at 10:25 AM, skinny21 said:

I would guess we’re near the top in paying oline and TEs, middle of the road for secondary and backers (both inflated by 1 player each - Norman and Kerrigan), closer to the bottom for rbs and receivers.   

Good guesses.  The only positions we really deviate far above or below the averages are WR & DL (way below) and TE (way above).  TE is our most expensive position against the average, where we pay over twice as much.  The only other team in our ballpark is New England, and they're paying Gronkowski.  I think it's safe to say we're not really getting our money's worth here.

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Good guesses.  The only positions we really deviate far above or below the averages are WR & DL (way below) and TE (way above).  TE is our most expensive position against the average, where we pay over twice as much.  The only other team in our ballpark is New England, and they're paying Gronkowski.  I think it's safe to say we're not really getting our money's worth here.

Thanks for following up on my post - I checked the site, but when I sorted by position the teams actually stayed alphabetical, lol.  Not very helpful.  

Agreed, not enough production from our TEs.  I do like the way they complement each other, but we need Reed and Davis to get some more passes.  

Side note - speaking of TE, I’d be curious to track how they’re blocking.  I’ve seen some good ones (or at least impactful) and some bad ones.  I mainly wonder if Reed being healthy could mean he’s more willing/able to put some drive behind his blocks.  The natural reaction is to see Reed (or Davis) miss one and say, yup, he  sucks as a blocker.  

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Davis sucks at blocking and Reed doesn't even try. Our TEs are garbage. 

There are maybe 3 TEs in the league who can effectively block anyone bigger than a safety 1-2-1. 

TEs are bigger inside receivers. In that respect both Reed and Davis are valuable pieces of the offense. Reed is second on the team to CT in catches - and he’s drawing double coverage most snaps (especially in the redzone) creating space on other parts of the field.

Just now, MartinC said:

There are maybe 3 TEs in the league who can effectively block anyone bigger than a safety 1-2-1. 

TEs are bigger inside receivers. In that respect both Reed and Davis are valuable pieces of the offense. Reed is second on the team to CT in catches - and he’s drawing double coverage most snaps (especially in the redzone) creating space on other parts of the field.

Yeah, I know they're bloated receivers, more than TEs. True TEs make an effort to block.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Davis sucks at blocking and Reed doesn't even try. Our TEs are garbage. 

Right, this is what I’m talking about - it’s an easy thing to say. 

Take the 5 runs Baldinger highlighted this week.  Davis is shown blocking in two of them.  1st one, he gets a solid block on the end and then kicks out for another good block.  Second one, he does a decent enough job to take the defender out of the play - solid block.  He shows up in a lot of AP’s better runs on the season in fact, sealing his man away from the play.  Doesn’t mean he’s blocking well - highlights are just highlights - but for a guy that ‘blows’, he’s contributed to a lot of AP’s success.  

But maybe you’re focused in on the TEs during the game, and/or maybe you watch them closely on the All-22, I don’t know.  I know I’m not doing those things, so I’m keeping an open mind.  So, I’m certainly not saying you’re wrong in your assessment/opinion, but I do wonder how much of your opinion is supported by film.  

Just now, skinny21 said:

Right, this is what I’m talking about - it’s an easy thing to say. 

Take the 5 runs Baldinger highlighted this week.  Davis is shown blocking in two of them.  1st one, he gets a solid block on the end and then kicks out for another good block.  Second one, he does a decent enough job to take the defender out of the play - solid block.  He shows up in a lot of AP’s better runs on the season in fact, sealing his man away from the play.  Doesn’t mean he’s blocking well - highlights are just highlights - but for a guy that ‘blows’, he’s contributed to a lot of AP’s success.  

But maybe you’re focused in on the TEs during the game, and/or maybe you watch them closely on the All-22, I don’t know.  I know I’m not doing those things, so I’m keeping an open mind.  So, I’m certainly not saying you’re wrong in your assessment/opinion, but I do wonder how much of your opinion is supported by film.  

Davis is definitely a better blocker than Reed. 

Archived