Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are the 2018-19 Redskins?

Burgold

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:
  1. 28-28-1 over their last 57.

2. ore

The Redskins are 1-1 in their last 2 games, 2-2 in their last 4 and 3-3 in their last 6. They're 5-5 in their last 10, 6-6 in their last 12, 7-7 in their last 14. They're 10-10 in their last 20. They're 16-16-1 in their last 33. They're 18-18-1 in their last 37.

mediocre

adjective

me·di·o·cre | \ˌmē-dē-ˈō-kər  \

Definition of mediocre 

: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ORDINARY, SO-SO, The Washington Redskins

7 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

boring team to watch

goes into a shell int he 2nd half

You would have hated watching most of Joe Gibbs teams then. We typically got out ahead and then pounded teams into the dust in the second half. We famously ran the exact same running play (50 gut) right at Randy White 9 to 11 straight times (the quotes vary!) in one game killing the clock late in a game against Dallas.

Unless you liked winning games and Championships that is. That WAS fun.

Not that I think this team is close to as good as those Joe Gibbs teams. But the blueprint is the same - if we get ahead we are good. We have an identity. Run it, control the clock, conservative passing game to keep us ahead of the sticks and use some play action for the odd shot play. Play complimentary football with a defense that does not give up many big plays.

All good.

But if we get behind ... not so good. Most of the Joe Gibbs teams were the same (we just did not get behind very often).

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

mediocre

adjective

me·di·o·cre | \ˌmē-dē-ˈō-kər  \

Definition of mediocre 

: of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance : ORDINARY, SO-SO, The Washington Redskins

one thing about being mediocre is that if often flies below the radar.  You tease just enough to give fans some hope and never hit rock bottom where things feel bad for long.   I like the fact that the team now being put on the spot for this.  I don't recall the team cornered in the past for the win one lose stuff drill.   Now, its got their attention and I am liking it.   You got the perfect storm this week as for optimism-pessimism. You got both the win one lose one drill tested.  And they have Dallas who have owned them in recent years especially in Fedex coming to town.  I'd add to that all the bragging from the Indy media when they beat the Redskins about how they have Dallas' old  defensive assistant coach who has been part of the crew that have Jay's offensive supposedly figured out hence that's why Indy's defense did so well against them -- combination of playing cover 2 and stunting like crazy with 4 d lineman up front.  

Robbie Duncan liked

"After every win we have a step back, so I"m making sure that we stay locked in this week and every week" -Jonathan Allen

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

But if we get behind ... not so good. Most of the Joe Gibbs teams were the same (we just did not get behind very often).

Yeah I like the ball control approach if you have the horses to do it.  One difference though with Gibbs teams especially post Joey T is that he liked to use the run to set up play action and go deep.  He liked strong armed QBs that could let it fly.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I like the ball control approach if you have the horses to do it.  One difference though with Gibbs teams especially post Joey T is that he liked to use the run to set up play action and go deep.  He liked strong armed QBs that could let it fly.

Part of Gibbs genius was he adjusted to what he had. After Joe he had QBs that were much better at throwing the deep ball than the short and intermediate timing stuff - so he changed his approach to accommodate. He made big changes to his passing game and approach to run/pass balance early in 81 after the poor start when he realised trying to make Joey T into Dan Fouts was not going well.

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Part of Gibbs genius was he adjusted to what he had. After Joe he had QBs that were much better at throwing the deep ball than the short and intermediate timing stuff - so he changed his approach to accommodate. He made big changes to his passing game and approach to run/pass balance early in 81 after the poor start when he realised trying to make Joey T into Dan Fouts was not going well.

True but Gibbs also had the reputation for liking strong arm quarterbacks.  I recall him talking about it before.  Something to the effect of he values toughness/smarts first but he likes a QB with a strong arm.   Rypien and Doug would go deep.  Theismann sometimes too but not as much from what I recall.

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

True but Gibbs also had the reputation for liking strong arm quarterbacks.  I recall him talking about it before.  Something to the effect of he values toughness/smarts first but he likes a QB with a strong arm.   Rypien and Doug would go deep.  Theismann sometimes too but not as much from what I recall.

100%. Joey T had a better arm than many give him credit for but he was much better at short and intermediate throws. I vividly recall the change in 86 when Jay Schroeder had his first full season that we suddenly changed into a big play pass offense that threw lots of shot plays. 

This is getting into the weeds a bit but Jay only completed 51% of his passes in 86. He had a really big average per completion number but his yards per attempt was actually quite a bit lower than Joey T had delivered up the 85 season. Joey T was a 60% passer back when that was not that common.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:20 PM, MartinC said:

You would have hated watching most of Joe Gibbs teams then. We typically got out ahead and then pounded teams into the dust in the second half. We famously ran the exact same running play (50 gut) right at Randy White 9 to 11 straight times (the quotes vary!) in one game killing the clock late in a game against Dallas.

Unless you liked winning games and Championships that is. That WAS fun.

Not that I think this team is close to as good as those Joe Gibbs teams. But the blueprint is the same - if we get ahead we are good. We have an identity. Run it, control the clock, conservative passing game to keep us ahead of the sticks and use some play action for the odd shot play. Play complimentary football with a defense that does not give up many big plays.

All good.

Joe Gibbs teams always threw the deep ball. Always. Joe Gibbs team in 1989 had 3 wr's go over a 1,000 yards. In today's pass happy league you don't even see that. Yes we always had the ground game but you knew the deep ball was coming. 

34 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Joe Gibbs teams always threw the deep ball. Always. Joe Gibbs team in 1989 had 3 wr's go over a 1,000 yards. In today's pass happy league you don't even see that. Yes we always had the ground game but you knew the deep ball was coming. 

Joe adjusted to the talent he had. The later teams were a lot more pass focused than the earlier teams - he had Monk, Clark and Sanders and he was one of the very first coaches to use 3 WRs in his base formation. With Schroeder, Williams and Rypien he had QBs who were excellent deep ball throwers. He accommodated that.

His early teams were run focused. Two TEs, single back, big (for the time) O’Line, John Riggins. Early teams were very balanced on play calling we were pretty much 50/50 run pass. But we ran to set up the pass. The deep passes were set up by the run and play action. Down town Charlie Brown earned that nickname name for a reason.

Archived