Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The NFL Is In Transition

Diehard Otis

This has been a wacky year, right?  Everyone's been saying that.

But I think that's wrong.  The real deal is that The NFL is undergoing a transition.  Currently, the old Contenders are having their last gasp while a new breed steps up as League challengers.  

Makes sense if you think about it.  In fact, there are 3 reasons why I believe this point is now the case:

1. Aging Quarterbacks on the typical Contending teams (New England, New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Baltimore).

2. Aging Teams that are falling off (Arizona, New Orleans, Baltimore).

3. Turmoil in the Divisions.  If we consider a 3 year stretch of last season, this season, & next season,

which Division(s) have a team that is an overwhelming favorite to Win it 2 out of the 3 years mentioned?

Honestly, I go into greater depth in this blog post.  But for discussion purposes, I wanted to present the bare bones argument.

So here's the issue at hand: 1) do you agree that we're witnessing a transitional phase (why or why not), and 2) Which teams do you think are poised to become the new Contending class?

I am look forward to discussing it.

I suppose I should answer my own question!  Here's how I see it:

NFC

NFC East

I've got our Division becoming a three-headed monster (with the caveat that Kirk stays).  The Giants will be the cellar dweller for the next couple'a seasons

NFC North

The Packers own this until Rodgers retires, or falls off.  But look out for Chicago!

NFC South

The Bucs have a chance to be that team.  I think they gotta fire that Coach first, but the talent is definitely there.

NFC West

I think most NFL Observers would agree that the Rams look to be the class of the Division.  But the Niners could have something to say about that 2 seasons from now.

AFC

AFC East

I'm watching Buffalo & Miami.  Can the Bills get back to challenging?  It'll be between them and the Dolphins when Brady hangs up the cleats.

AFC North
Sooner or later, Cleveland will figure things out.  Until that time, I like the Steelers.

AFC South

This could really become an interesting Division.  Jacksonville seems legit (and to a lesser extent, the Titans).  But I'm all about Houston.  Deshaun Watson is the real deal!  Assuming he comes back from that knee, I think he'll own the South.

AFC West

Oakland is the youngest "good team" out there.  I won't put Denver here because they're headless (that's why I hate mercenary Veteran QBs.  Once they're gone, a team's in purgatory indefinitely).  If that kid KC drafted is any good, then the West gets interesting too.

That's how I see it.

Yeah, I’m ready for some different teams. Tired of NE, Pitt, Denver, Balt, GB and Seattle to name a few. 

Like to see anyone in the AFC East besides NE, Clev, Oak, KC, Jax, Tenn, Det, Rams and the Skins do something.

Of course I never want anyone in our division to do anything and living near Charlotte, I don’t want the Panthers to do anything. 

The Pats will rule the AFCE until Belichick retires.

Tom Brady came in to the league almost 20 years ago. Everybody knows that Bill Belichick is a super genius coach and this has been a commonly known fact since the Giants beat the Bills in SB 25, thanks to Belichicks defense. Some were surprised in 2001 when the Patriots beat the Rams in the SB but I remembered that Bills unstoppable offense getting shut down and therefore made quite a bit of money off that game.

But one thing people also tend to forget is that he's always looking for any advantage by cutting any corner or stretching any rule in any situation. Some call it cheating. Spygate was a lot bigger than the NFL allowed us all to know about by destroying the evidence. They had 7 years of video tapes of teams live game play calls and had created a system to cheat on any down while playing any team in the league.  They also disrupt the coach to qb headset communication in their home games. Belichick voted against a defensive player headset for years, wonder why? They'll do anything. Wonder why the Pats come out every year looking kinda weak, then somehow start dominating with the same players? I bet they got some new system that nobody knows about.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

But the important thing is that Tom Brady has been the QB for 17 years now and he's going to need to be replaced sometime in the next few years.

What nobody knows is that Bill Belichick had that covered a long time ago as well:

maxresdefault.jpg

He's got a warehouse full of these things in some Kraft Cheese factory in the country. :lol:

Cleveland will be forever miserable.

Kirk is gone and frankly, it's better for him to finish his career somewhere else.

The Redskins will not ever be a consistent  contender under Dan Snyder.  You'll get the occasional playoff birth.

I think the NFL is heading a for period of permanent decline. It will be still around but it will not be as popular as it once was. I also think the league will eventually contract. We are heading for a prolonged labor stoppage,

It doesn't really matter who's contending in 2-3 years, external forces are going to alter the game.

On 12/11/2017 at 6:16 AM, Rdskns2000 said:

Cleveland will be forever miserable.

Kirk is gone and frankly, it's better for him to finish his career somewhere else.

The Redskins will not ever be a consistent  contender under Dan Snyder.  You'll get the occasional playoff birth.

I think the NFL is heading a for period of permanent decline. It will be still around but it will not be as popular as it once was. I also think the league will eventually contract. We are heading for a prolonged labor stoppage,

It doesn't really matter who's contending in 2-3 years, external forces are going to alter the game.

I think you’re spot on with this. There is bound to be a strike.

Archived