Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Last Line of Defense-2015 Draft Safety Prospects

darrelgreenie

No position needs to be discussed for 1st round purposes (maybe 2nd as well) unless I begins with "o," ends with "e," and there is "ffensive lin" in the middle. Safeties can be had in later rounds or convert an I'll - performing corner back.

Can't reach just because we need it. This draft sucks for o line. At least next year is set up to be a great class.

Did you see my boy, Amos, ran a 4.49. Damn I hope GMSM likes him.

Sure did. He moved well in the drills too. Back pedal and turn drill was smooth, back pedal and into zone turn/man turn was smooth and he caught the ball and only dropped 1 pass in the gauntlet run. I'm so glad they added the gauntlet for the DBs this year.

At 6'-218 with those movement skills with and 4.49 40 to go along with:

7th in vert at 35.5

7th in broad at 10'2

10th in 3 cone at 7.09

2nd in short shuttle 4.03

2nd in 60 shuttle 11.33

Amos had a good day.

Gotta check it against his film, but looked like a willing tackler from the tape that I saw.

From what I could find on him he's a three time all-academic all-big 10 and he prides himself on his study habits.  I'm thinking he'll move up in the draft from his current 3-4th projection.

He banged out the most the bench press at 23 but didn't run or do any field work.

Haven't heard any reasons injury or otherwise.

But his stock is reportedly rising through his interviews:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/nfl-scouting-combine-nfl-draft-stock-rising-safety-ibraheim-campbell

People are belly aching about this being a bad S class. But, every year teams find players that can contribute or start from every round down to UDFA. So, I'm sure there are 'good' S out there like Campbell and Randall.

Randall killed it at the combine to back-up his film

5'11-196 well built frame

ran 4.46 top 3 for S (top for CB)

14 bench top 11

38 vert top 3 for S (top 8 for CB)

10' broad top 8

6.83 3 cone top 3 (top 11 fro CB)

4.07 short shuttle top 3 (top 10 for CB)

- didn't run 60 shuttle

Didn't see his field work because they running their mouths about Eisen's 40 and recapping the whole combine while the second DB group was doing field work.

I've wanted to move him up higher in my ranking all along but after the combine I can easily justify it.

Still have work to put in, but Randall might be my highest rated S.

Trying out the new GIF creator feature from draftbreakdown.com

http://www.draftbreakdown.com/gif-embed/?clip=255615&gif=CompleteObeseBeardedcollie

^^Damarious Randall coming off the hash in Cover-2 to highpoint and intercept a pass.

He's physically similar to earl thomas, and has had a similar college career. I wonder if he goes in the first now.

I still think he goes around the 3rd round. His combine numbers were always gonna generate a certain amount of hype but from what I've seen very few 'draft experts' have him in their safety rankings. He's still going relatively under the radar.

Collins is nailed on the only safety that'll go in the 1st round. I like Randall's upside more though

I still think he goes around the 3rd round. His combine numbers were always gonna generate a certain amount of hype but from what I've seen very few 'draft experts' have him in their safety rankings. He's still going relatively under the radar.

Collins is nailed on the only safety that'll go in the 1st round. I like Randall's upside more though

I wish he'd go in the 3rd but I just have a feeling he creeps upwards. Draftniks can be slow to adjust their rankings, and are often off from how nfl teams see things.

He's physically similar to earl thomas, and has had a similar college career. I wonder if he goes in the first now.

I wish he'd go in the 3rd but I just have a feeling he creeps upwards. Draftniks can be slow to adjust their rankings, and are often off from how nfl teams see things.

Judging based on previous drafts he seems worthy.

His production and position specific combine numbers rival/surpass any 1st round safety from last year.

I can't find Earl's 3 cone or shuttle times but Randall has him beat in the broad and vert.

Earl was 9'5" broad and 32" vert vs Randall 10' and 38"

A good comp from last year is Jimmy Ward a relatively unknown S that ran 4.47 at his pro-day and who's broad and vert numbers are identical to Randall's. 

Ward was 4.24-6.89 short shuttle and 3 cone vs Randall 4.07 and 6.83.

Last year very few draftniks had Ward and Bucannon as 1st rounders but they went.

Who's in your top 5(ish) right now?

Honestly it's a tough year for safeties.  I think Landon is 100% over-rated.  That's not to say he's bad, but that I really doubt he'll be worth the 1st round pick he's projected at.  

I really like what I see from Shaq, but that's all projection.  

Tartt's film is hard to find and he played for a lesser division.  I really liked what I saw at the senior bowl but I can't really make any claims without seeing more than that.  Those 3 could really be in any order at SS, but I love Tartt's angles on film and the way he uncoils when he hits.  I think he may even be capable of playing FS in the pros, certainly he has enough speed, but that's kinda risky with the jump in the level of competition.

Randall vs Arizona kinda tempered my thoughts on him.  Was a rough game where he was the one mostly responsible for giving up 3 huge plays.

If I had to say a top 5 I got Shaq, Tartt, Collins, Ibraheim and Randall.  Not really high on Derron Smith, Anthony Harris or Cody Prewitt.

Re-watched Chris Hackett tonight. Don't see a guy with 4.8 speed. Hopefully his combine though pushes him low for us to pounce on 

Which game? None the TCUs guys didn't run well. I wonder what that program or their agents did for combine/40 prep.

Whatever it was it needs to change, did their players a disservice.

Honestly it's a tough year for safeties.  I think Landon is 100% over-rated.  That's not to say he's bad, but that I really doubt he'll be worth the 1st round pick he's projected at.  

I really like what I see from Shaq, but that's all projection.  

Tartt's film is hard to find and he played for a lesser division.  I really liked what I saw at the senior bowl but I can't really make any claims without seeing more than that.  Those 3 could really be in any order at SS, but I love Tartt's angles on film and the way he uncoils when he hits.  I think he may even be capable of playing FS in the pros, certainly he has enough speed, but that's kinda risky with the jump in the level of competition.

Randall vs Arizona kinda tempered my thoughts on him.  Was a rough game where he was the one mostly responsible for giving up 3 huge plays.

If I had to say a top 5 I got Shaq, Tartt, Collins, Ibraheim and Randall.  Not really high on Derron Smith, Anthony Harris or Cody Prewitt.

Collins may not deserve the hype as the only good safety this draft but he's checks the boxes of being a 1st round prospect. Production, movement, size etc.

I just don't see Shaq as a S. I think Mayock is wrong there. Deone played out of position with the Cards because they were hurting at LB.

The point of Shaq being a safety to play in the role of Deone defeats the purpose of being a S because Deone played really as LB. Confusing explanation but in short I think Shaq is LB not a S.

I only found one cut-up of Tart that I'll have to watch again. The picture quality made it hard to watch. I like Tartt from a height-weight-speed standpoint but wish I could see more and his production is skewed because of level of comp.

I have Randall as my top S even though I'm sure Collins will go first. I really like Campbell but until his pro-day numbers come out its hard to place him. I really like Adrian Amos (you have to watch Mike Hull to see him) I like his movement, size/speed, solid tackler not sure why he's not talked about more. I'm with you on Smith and Prewitt. I don't see the justification for their top rankings. I still haven't watched Harris. I started off hot watching and charting but slowed down.

Collins may not deserve the hype as the only good safety this draft but he's checks the boxes of being a 1st round prospect. Production, movement, size etc.

I just don't see Shaq as a S. I think Mayock is wrong there. Deone played out of position with the Cards because they were hurting at LB.

The point of Shaq being a safety to play in the role of Deone defeats the purpose of being a S because Deone played really as LB. Confusing explanation but in short I think Shaq is LB not a S.

I only found one cut-up of Tart that I'll have to watch again. The picture quality made it hard to watch. I like Tartt from a height-weight-speed standpoint but wish I could see more and his production is skewed because of level of comp.

I have Randall as my top S even though I'm sure Collins will go first. I really like Campbell but until his pro-day numbers come out its hard to place him. I really like Adrian Amos (you have to watch Mike Hull to see him) I like his movement, size/speed, solid tackler not sure why he's not talked about more. I'm with you on Smith and Prewitt. I don't see the justification for their top rankings. I still haven't watched Harris. I started off hot watching and charting but slowed down.

See, I thought Shaq looked like a fluid athlete.  If he was drafted I'd tell him to lose 10 pounds, as I think that weight slowed him down at the combine.  Shaq played safety 2 years ago, so I'm sure he hasn't forgotten how to play it, and I think he has the necessary physical traits for it, so I'm sure the question is can he mentally play it in the nfl.  Sometimes I wish we could watch them in interviews with nfl teams.  In what I watched, he took some poor angles and he's not as secure of a tackler as I would hope for, but I'd hope those were fixable issues.

I actually see the opposite of what you see when I watch them though.  Landon looks like a straight line athlete that lacks flexibility.  To me he's built more like a linebacker than a safety.  The 3 cone and short shuttle times confirmed that a bit.  He reminds me a lot of Roy Williams.

Both of those guys had their fair share of poor angles, but Collins is definitely the more consistent tackler.  He doesn't square up on a player as often as I'd like due to those angles, but you can tell he's got a strong upper body.  I just question if he'll be able to make those same arm tackles in the nfl.

Tartt is really a wild card, his film against Auburn was solid, though he was gimpy.  In coverage he was pretty much perfect.  He struggled a tiny bit with the speed auburn had at runningback when coming up in run defense, but I think it was Corey Grant, who just ran a 4.27 at his pro day, so he won't see that on a weekly basis in the nfl.  Against lesser competition he was phenomenal coming up against the run.

I really liked randall, but that arizona game he struggled to get off blocks from arizona's diminutive slot receiver.  That guy weighs in at 177 pounds and it resulted in two huge runs.  Perhaps I'm docking him too much as it would have been a tough play to make, and he did take the outside path away, but I would have liked to see him deal with those blocks better against such a tiny guy.  And then he was late trying to jump a slant in cover-0 that resulted in a long td.  It was a bit of a bonehead play given the situation, but that aggressiveness has suited him well at other times.

Haven't watched Amos yet but overall I'm pretty iffy on this year's safeties.  Tons of corners who could convert, but I'm not sure if there's much of a science to projecting a successful conversion.

Archived