On Now
Coming Up
  • Tue., Mar. 18, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• DATE: December 3, 2013
    • TIME:  5:30 PM 

• Wed., Mar. 19, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Redskins Nation is a half-hour show devoted to giving fans unfiltered access to the day's events at Redskins Park. Hosted by Larry Michael, the show features Redskins players, coaches and sit-down interviews with team officials. (Show re-airs at 11:30 p.m/7:30 a.m. daily)

• Thu., Mar. 20, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 21, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 24, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Tue., Mar. 25, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Wed., Mar. 26, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Thu., Mar. 27, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Fri., Mar. 28, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

• Mon., Mar. 31, 2014 5:30PM - 6:00PM EDT Redskins Nation

Photo
- - - - -

Loudest stadium in the NFL?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#41 chiefhogskin48

chiefhogskin48

The Backup

• Members
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:08 PM

fed ex is loud, but the loudest is arrowhead. lincoln financial is probably the hardest to play in as an away team id say

The Linc isn't even close. The way the stadium is set up, it's easy for sound to escape. And the capacity is not very large. I would say it's middle of the road and not nearly as good of a home field advantage as the Vet was. Now THAT was a tough place to play.

As for the Meadowloands, it's actually one of the quieter stadiums in the league yet can still be a difficult place to play. Why? They have very old season ticketholders who don't make that much noise- it's a very "old school" fanbase that doesn't readily give up their tickets to younger generations. My friends who have been to the Meadowlands for 'skins games all come away equally unimpressed by the noise, yet impressed with the classiness of their fanbase. The difficulty in playing there stems from the unique weather conditions that tend to effect the games- lots of swirling wind make the passing and kicking game difficult.

#42 RedskinsFan28

RedskinsFan28

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:09 PM

The announcers say every field is the loudest in the NFL...

I agree. Most of the time you hear them either say Arrowhead Stadium or Qwest Field is the loudest.

#43 HailRiggoRanger

HailRiggoRanger

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:36 PM

I've been on the field, where the decibels really matter, at Arrowhead, The Meadowlands, Raymond James, Edward Jones Dome, & Sun Devil.

Arrowhead was by far the loudest, followed by Raymond James & then the Meadowlands. The other two, ehh.

TK, what about FedEx? Where does that fall in the mix?

#44 TODD

TODD

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

I heard thats illegal...A few seasons ago a team went after the Vikings I believe, accusing them of doing that...

-Grant

FedEx did the same thing a few years ago, I kid you not.

#45 whlinder

whlinder

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:54 PM

Qwest seems to get really loud, louder than it should considering the design and the the fans there. I'm convinced there is something in the air in the Pacific NW that holds sound better or something. (Maybe someone with physics/sound waves knowledge can chime in). I went to the U of Washington, and Husky Stadium always got very loud, even with a track around it and an open end zone. Ask one of the players from the U who were there in 2000 when the U lost (Dorsey's only regular season loss) in Husky Stadium. False starts, fumbled snaps, etc. Dorsey couldn't hear anything. It gets very loud, (when the team is good) and makes no sense with a full track separating the stands from the field.

#46 hailskins26

hailskins26

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

due to stadium design, i doubt that fedex is the loudest- prob quest, and i hear denver is really loud, as is KC.

#47 DoGood28

DoGood28

The Dirtbags

• Members
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

FedEx is loud and has the potential to easily be the loudest, but there are too many SISSY PEOPLE sitting down and telling everyone else to sit and be quiet. Get rid of those people and replace them with me. That would put FedEx over the top.

#48 mook_juice83

mook_juice83

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:45 PM

I was at FedEx for the Virginia Tech USC game a couple years ago and it was insane. I spoke to some of the security and beer guys, they said it was probably the loudest they ever heard it.

#49 Hokie_Skinz

Hokie_Skinz

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:58 PM

How loud a stadium is depends on several factors.
1) capacity
2)Design
3)fans

Lane Stadium only holds 65K and it is deafening because they have #2, and 3 going for it. FedEx clearly has an advantage in 1, and after this season they should have #3 in its favor.

I remember in years past hearing more noise from visiting Giants fans, or Philly fans...this won't be the case next year as season ticket holders won't sell of their tickets and will actually go to the games.

Put 85%-95% of the seats filled with Skins fans...and it will be very very loud in there.

#50 318 SKIN

318 SKIN

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:13 PM

FedEx Field is definantly the loudest and the largest with a capacity of 92,000, nothing else even comes close.

I have been to both and it's not even close - qwest field is far louder than FedEx. I don't know if it's the partial roof are not, but when qwest is rocking you can't even here yourself think. It was crazy. Don't FedEx is crazy 2...

#51 Ant15fromNJ

Ant15fromNJ

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:29 PM

FedEx field all you guy are great there.

#52 TahoeSkin

TahoeSkin

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

i might be a little bit narrowminded but fedex field will never be as loud as rfk...

Yeah, that old metal stadium was louder.

#53 Mark The Homer

Mark The Homer

Ring of Fame

• Moderators
  • 14,718 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

FedEx is loud and has the potential to easily be the loudest, but there are too many SISSY PEOPLE sitting down and telling everyone else to sit and be quiet. Get rid of those people and replace them with me. That would put FedEx over the top.

I believe DoGood28 is on to something. While FedEx field is loud, there are a WHOLE LOT of people who just sit on their hands and stare. Way more than half. WAY MORE. I believe this is why open air but smaller stadiums such as Arrowhead are louder than FedExField.

#54 jrockster21

jrockster21

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 18,464 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:27 PM

The loudest I've ever heard a stadium was watching the second Dallas game...that was insanely loud. Qwest didn't come close during our playoff game...:2cents:

**From the POV of watching the game on TV, btw.

#55 OVCChairman

OVCChairman

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,356 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:38 PM

The loudest I've ever heard a stadium was watching the second Dallas game...that was insanely loud. Qwest didn't come close during our playoff game...:2cents:

**From the POV of watching the game on TV, btw.

The loudest i've ever heard it was Darrell Green's last game. If you remember, until this year it was the last time we beat Dallas. Not only taht but hello! Darrell Green's LAST GAME! It was awesome!!!

#56 Seahawk Ref

Seahawk Ref

The Waterboy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:05 PM

Is it Qwest?

Yes! Quest is the loudest stadium in the NFL. They say 70% is covered but that's not really true. Both endzones are completly open to the elements. Both sides of the fields lower level is completely exposed. And only half of 1/3 of the upper deck is covered. The only part that is completely covered is the club section where the rick folk hang out.

Regardless, Quest is the loudest. You saw for yourself if you watched the Giants game or heard about it. You saw youselves when the Skins were in Seattle. And I know you watched and heard it on the NFC Championship game Sunday. It's outrageous. I've been to quite a few stadiums, including Philly. They're more mean than loud. But my sister on the east coast who has been to RKF says it's loud too, so go Skins!!!!

I'm not bragging, just statin facts about the noise, and the announcers did too. They've compared it to plane engines over head at about 300-1000 feet high.

Go Seahawks................your next Super Bowl Champions.

Seattle 31, Steelers 13. ...........trust me!!!

Posted Image :cheers:

#57 TheREALJBird

TheREALJBird

Ring of Fame

• Members
  • 10,713 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:09 PM

People say qwest because of design...I think passionate fans override any kind of design

#58 CowboySlayer

CowboySlayer

The Benchwarmer

• Banned
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:15 PM

One thing is certain - as far as open air stadiums go, FedEx is the loudest by a longshot. Even being open air, it is definitely still in the running as the loudest. The difference is, even if we were 1-15, we'd still bring it, that's what sets us apart.:point2sky

#59 Alvin Walton's Mohawk

Alvin Walton's Mohawk

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:31 PM

i might be a little bit narrowminded but fedex field will never be as loud as rfk...

I feel the same way. RFK SHOOK! The stands would bounce up and down and make a slamming noise when they hit the ground. That was the best part about it- even though the crowd was much smaller- the intimate feel and the shaking stands made for an intimidating atmosphere. God I miss it!

WE WANT DALLAS! WE WANT DALLAS! 1982. Still gives me chills.....

#60 freefalln

freefalln

The Camp Fodder

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

i think that dan needs to put a partial canopy on that extends out to cover about the 100ft and thus reflect the sound down towards the field....oh, as a bonus, since i sit in the top row, i would be out of the rain!!!!!!

#61 Fred288156

Fred288156

The Benchwarmer

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:27 PM

Good thread, BTW.

Now this is hardly objective, because I've only been to FedEx and Ericsson (now called Bank of America), but there are a couple of other places that seem louder. It certainly isn't because the fans are any more passionate. As we all know, D. C. is all about the 'Skins - win or lose! From a purely objective standpoint, the Skins are Top 5 as far as passionate fans go (probably even Top 3, and I couldn't tell you which team(s) have more passionate fans...)

Anyway, Arrowhead and (dare I say it) The Meadowlands, Heinz Field (Three Rivers, too), and of course Qwest seem pretty darn loud. Ppl forget that the Kingdome was pretty darn loud, too, and that was before the Seahawks were making it to the playoffs.

Other domes like the Metrodome, Superdome, and RCA Dome don't seem as loud either, so you gotta give the Seattle fans some credit.

From my experience at Fed Ex and Ericsson, I will say this: FedEx is louder, but having been to quite a few college games...well, you know where this is going...

Oh yeah, and I don't know what it is about TOWELS, but give the fans some towels (or pom poms) and I guess fans who normally wouldn't hoot and holler start to get into it. At least it seems that way... Maybe? Anybody feelin the towels? Cheaper than a stadium roof addition, anyway.

#62 New

New

The Rookie

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:48 PM

Gotta give props to Hotlanta and the Georgia Dome. For a $hitty sports town, they can bring some noise for the NFL. However, saw the Spurrier led SKINS in one of his rare shining moments come back and quiet the place!

#63 southeast jerome

southeast jerome

The Waterboy

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:43 PM

I went out to the game, and those big hunks of concrete hanging from the sky generate a lot of echo and reverb, plus they did retire # 12 and take their screaming very seriously. But does anyone else think that the act like they invented the whole 12th man thing? Maybe it's because Seattle fans only showed up in the past 2 years and have never heard of such as thing before....don't start dustin off of that trophy cabinet just yet fellas!:helmet:

#64 Trippster

Trippster

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

The noise factor in a stadium has more to do with acoustics than with fan passion. If you want to know how passionate Seahawks fans are, just look at all the open spaces in the stadium where seats should be.

#65 LuvtheSkins428

LuvtheSkins428

The Special Teams Ace

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:06 PM

I've only been to RFK, FedEx and the Meadowlands. The Meadowlands was pretty dead if you ask me, especially when playing a rival NFC East team. RFK, not doubt rocked more than any other stadium. FedEx field is very very loud. My ears were ringing after the second Dallas game.

Does anyone remember the game where the crowd had a flag thrown on it? I can't remember who it was we played but we caused three flags in a row on the opposing team then a flag was thrown on the crowd. It happened a long time ago. Anybody here remember that? THAT was loud!!! Of course, I'm still a little bitter about the flag... home field advantage is home field advantage!

#66 BlueTalon

BlueTalon

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 02:07 AM

I went out to the game, and those big hunks of concrete hanging from the sky generate a lot of echo and reverb, plus they did retire # 12 and take their screaming very seriously. But does anyone else think that the act like they invented the whole 12th man thing? Maybe it's because Seattle fans only showed up in the past 2 years and have never heard of such as thing before....don't start dustin off of that trophy cabinet just yet fellas!

No, we don't think we started the 12th man phenomenon. And just so you know, the number 12 was retired in the 80's ('84, I believe) -- so it wasn't just "in the past 2 years" like you seem to think. But regardless of what your opinion is about the Seahawks, Qwest, Seattle fans, whatever, the fact remains that the Seahawks organization is convinced that an energetic and loud crowd in that stadium helps them win games.

If you (you in the general sense, not you specifically, Jerome) want to believe there's no possible way 67,000 fans at Qwest can be as loud or louder than 93,000 at Fedex, then there's not much anyone is going to say to convince you. But Fedex was designed to hold 93,000 people. Qwest was designed to hold decibels... and 67,000 people. And you're not going to be able to just slap a roof on Fedex and get more noise -- that kind of thing really needs to be designed from the ground up. An add-on after the fact can be risky.

#67 Punu

Punu

The Waterboy

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:59 AM

Is it Qwest?

you know it's not... why make this thread?

have you been 2 fed ex?!?

#68 MustangSteve

MustangSteve

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,489 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:03 AM

Sundevil Stadium is the loudest, all 3 of those cardinal fans yelled in my ear for 60 minutes :laugh:

#69 MustangSteve

MustangSteve

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,489 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:13 AM

Qwest, Seattle fans, whatever, the fact remains that the Seahawks organization is convinced that an energetic and loud crowd in that stadium helps them win games.

You better believe that helps them win games, That team is Beast in there stadium! Especialy in these last 2 Playoff games, they totaly shut down offenses, passing and rushing, and Hasslebecks the real deal.

"IF" they play like that in the SuperBowl, the Steelers wont have a chance, but thats "IF" they keep that momentum playing away from Quest. I will be the first to say I was wrong about Seattle, that team is NO joke at all.

#70 dlwredskins

dlwredskins

The Field Goal Team

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 04:43 AM

I've only been to RFK, FedEx and the Meadowlands. The Meadowlands was pretty dead if you ask me, especially when playing a rival NFC East team. RFK, not doubt rocked more than any other stadium. FedEx field is very very loud. My ears were ringing after the second Dallas game.

Does anyone remember the game where the crowd had a flag thrown on it? I can't remember who it was we played but we caused three flags in a row on the opposing team then a flag was thrown on the crowd. It happened a long time ago. Anybody here remember that? THAT was loud!!! Of course, I'm still a little bitter about the flag... home field advantage is home field advantage!

If I recall that game you are referring to was against the Bears in a playoff game at RFK...we eventually lost that one....but I remember that game.

#71 BlueTalon

BlueTalon

The Playmaker

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

You better believe that helps them win games, That team is Beast in there stadium! Especialy in these last 2 Playoff games, they totaly shut down offenses, passing and rushing, and Hasslebecks the real deal.

"IF" they play like that in the SuperBowl, the Steelers wont have a chance, but thats "IF" they keep that momentum playing away from Quest. I will be the first to say I was wrong about Seattle, that team is NO joke at all.

:cheers:

I think the coaching staff will do a good job of keeping them focused. And there are several players with SB experience who can help in that regard. We'll see...

I'm wondering how many Skins fans will, if the Seahawks win, continue to think they are "soft" or whatever. (Before our week 4 game, I thought your O line was a week spot -- after the game, I had to admit I was wrong about that. No shame in it.)

#72 buckster714

buckster714

The Waterboy

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:44 AM

DC Stadium !!!!!!!Never have or will call it RFK :rant:

#73 HOF44

HOF44

The Heavy Hitter

• Members
  • 7,585 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:15 AM

:cheers:

I think the coaching staff will do a good job of keeping them focused. And there are several players with SB experience who can help in that regard. We'll see...

I'm wondering how many Skins fans will, if the Seahawks win, continue to think they are "soft" or whatever. (Before our week 4 game, I thought your O line was a week spot -- after the game, I had to admit I was wrong about that. No shame in it.)

I don't think Seattle is soft. I think Alexander is soft. He is sucha big part of what you do. If he can take the licks Pit is gonna lay on him and keep being productive you guys win. If not I look for Pit to win.

I have been really surprised with your D and Hasselback is a great QB. I think they will both perform up to par. Its Alexander I have doubts about.

Either way good luck you guys earned the right to be there.

#74 tieber

tieber

Cheerleader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:52 PM

The noise factor in a stadium has more to do with acoustics than with fan passion. If you want to know how passionate Seahawks fans are, just look at all the open spaces in the stadium where seats should be.

Qwest field been sold out for two years straight, Seattle fans are damn passionate, dont pretend you know.

#75 TD Riggo

TD Riggo

The Free Agent

• Members
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:11 PM

All I remember is that big fat moron Tony Siragusa went on and on about how Qwest was the loudest in the NFL, and even held up a decibel meter. What was funny is that the graphic showed that a rock concert would be about 120-130 dB, yet his handheld dB meter showed a mere 100.

So if it's so loud, then why wouldn't it rate higher than a rock concert?

#76 tiger187126

tiger187126

The Deep Threat

• Members
  • 4,104 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:18 PM

if anyone was at the home games down the stretch, the second dallas game and the new york game, they rocked..the rows were bouncing and people were going nuts

then of course i could barely hear over myself taunting that poor father-son dallas combo in front of me who swore up and down that dallas was going to own in that game

oh and at my time at The Ohio State University i noticed that the shoe can get pretty loud as well...

something about 110,000 drunk college students....

#77 Guest_GibbSkins11_*

Guest_GibbSkins11_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:38 PM

FED EX FIELD IS LARGEST IN LEAGUE SO IF WE PUMP UP THE 12TH MAN ITS FEDEX

#78 KingGibbs

KingGibbs

The Franchise Player

• Members
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:57 PM

Fed Ex has had it's moments, but considering it holds 90,000+ it's been a big disappointment IMO. I feel sorry for you youngsters who never got to experience RFK. Almost 30,000 less and blew Fed Ex away.

Hopefully, that is about to change.

Qwest was sick loud and I don't care if it is assisted by acoustics. Loud is loud, period.

#79 Fishhawk

Fishhawk

Cheerleader

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:53 AM

So if it's so loud, then why wouldn't it rate higher than a rock concert?

Because you don't wear a football helmet to a rock concert?

I dunno, what's the popular comparison? Is it players saying it's rock-concert loud from the field? from the sidelines? Are they saying it's that loud in the stands? Then that's where that goofball shoulda been measuring.

'Hawks fan here, haven't had a chance yet to drive up to Qwest to see a game there. Sound volume isn't about how big the noise is, but how close it is. I understand Qwest was designed so fans were very close to the field (as was Safeco Field for the Mariners), but I don't have any objective field-to-seat tape measurements for different stadiums to compare.

That'd be the way to figure it. But hey, then what would people argue about? :)

#80 DButz65

DButz65

The Bruiser

• Members
  • 6,264 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:01 AM

Qwest field been sold out for two years straight, Seattle fans are damn passionate, dont pretend you know.

The Skins have been sold out, what 30+ years? Hows that a comparison
for ya? :)