Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Path of Exile (The Real Diablo 3)

Zazzaro703

So yeah if you are like me and didnt come close to getting that ARPG itch scratched from Diablo 3 look no further because Path of Exile is here to save the day. It's free to play so you dont' have an excuse to not try it if you like ARPGs. There is a microtransaction market but it's for cosmetic stuff nothing gives in game advantage. Don't be fooled by the free to play either, it's been in development for 7 years and has very in depth systems all around and is as good if not better than most triple a full retail releases. They basically took diablo 2 and made a few things better. Check it out and give it a try, it's in open beta with no more wipes so you can play now.

http://www.pathofexile.com/

Everyone that has replied has liked the game, try it.

Edit 2/21/13 Race League Season 1 starts tomorrow. Tomorrow is solo 1H race where everyone starts at beginning and you race to full clear areas, race to finish quests first, reach zones first, most xp, top 20 xp each class, and for making it to certain xp levels. It's a league with a few races a week and you accumulate points which you can use to buy uniques and other stuff at the end of the season. Def cool and there are all sorts of leagues. Party leagues, 3 hour leagues, 1 week, 1 month.... Just awesome. Way more information on the main pathofexile website.

It's a fantastic game. It truly is the Diablo 3 I was expecting. Playing hardcore if you die you just get moved to the default league and don't lose your character permanently luckily for me I died at 17, rerolled another hardcore and haven't died since at level 42.

I took ya'lls advice and downloaded this game. It is everything Diablo 3 was trying to be, without being screwed up over the quest for .10 on every dollar.

I'm afraid my weekend may go by in a caffeine induced blur.

That's why I keep bumping although I hate to do that. It's such a great game and its free to play so no reason not to try it if an ARPG fan. In my eyes it being free to play is the universes apology for diablo 3.

This game is incredible. Currently level 16 I think, running a witch focusing on a pretty diverse range of elemental spells, but mostly fire. Focusing on Energy Sheild for protection. Have more energy shield than health right now lol. I know I'm gonna have to specialize more at a certain point, as well as diversify from Energy Shield (probably by getting Iron Reflexes eventually--converts Evasion rating to Armor rating--which is useful for a witch because its tough to find good armor with a high armor rating that also boosts energy shield. So you find Evasion/Energy Shield gear and IR converts Evasion into Armor which I think is better).

This should help everyone out, the vendor recipe list (aka--the explanation of the economy, since there's no gold)

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Vendor_Recipes

I actually haven't played for a couple weeks, been too busy, but I've been itching to jump back in. Just started act 2. These monkeys are cake so far. Just found the encampment.

The Act I Boss was a ***** to beat. Had to keep opening Portals back to town when on the verge of death that I'd jump through after I died and go right back at her.

This game is incredible. Currently level 16 I think, running a witch focusing on a pretty diverse range of elemental spells, but mostly fire. Focusing on Energy Sheild for protection. Have more energy shield than health right now lol. I know I'm gonna have to specialize more at a certain point, as well as diversify from Energy Shield (probably by getting Iron Reflexes eventually--converts Evasion rating to Armor rating--which is useful for a witch because its tough to find good armor with a high armor rating that also boosts energy shield. So you find Evasion/Energy Shield gear and IR converts Evasion into Armor which I think is better).

This should help everyone out, the vendor recipe list (aka--the explanation of the economy, since there's no gold)

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Vendor_Recipes

I actually haven't played for a couple weeks, been too busy, but I've been itching to jump back in. Just started act 2. These monkeys are cake so far. Just found the encampment.

The Act I Boss was a ***** to beat. Had to keep opening Portals back to town when on the verge of death that I'd jump through after I died and go right back at her.

Yeah it's an amazing game. I have a level 47 Templar act 2 cruel and made another Templar to try and farm some orbs. With the head start on gear and magic find its A LOT easier to stay in the +2 level range with mobs so you don't get a currency wealth drop penalty (if more than 2 levels above the mobs you get a -2.5 penalty to currency drops). Both characters are hardcore. I didn't know about the damn vendor recipes until I randomly got a chromatic orb once and looked up why. Think I was level 25ish on my first Templar too lol. Everything has a well done system in place. Also if you haven't played since end of January it went open beta and they wiped characters for the last time.

My brother in-law showed me some of it and the skill tree is crazy huge not sure where one would start or go (hopefully its easier than it looks). Seems like you could take any chararcter class in any direction (i mean you can zoom in/out of the skill tree to see the whole thing)

Man I got this yesterday just because of this thread. I had seen it before and contemplated trying it because I was disappointed with Diablo 3.

This game is great! I had a blast playing last night. Thanks for the recommendation Zazzaro.

It's crazy a game this good is free. Graphics and sound are both great, combat is fun....can't say enough good things about it.

If anyone else is on the fence I'd say do yourself a favor and download it. Give yourself about 2 hours to get some skill gems, passives, weapons to see how fun it is.

This game is pretty cool and is very similar to Diablo 2, but with a Final Fantasy X skill tree. My only complaint so far is that it's a pain in the butt if you die because you get sent back to the main town, which sucks if you haven't found the wayward point yet in the area you are exploring. Another thing too, there is a wayward point on the 1st level of a jail. I got to the 3rd level of the jail and died. When I went back to the wayward point to warp to the jail, all the monsters were back and my map was unexplored again on the 1st floor. I didn't feel like finding my way back through everything I just did so I logged out. Am I over looking an easier option to get to where I died?

This game is pretty cool and is very similar to Diablo 2, but with a Final Fantasy X skill tree. My only complaint so far is that it's a pain in the butt if you die because you get sent back to the main town, which sucks if you haven't found the wayward point yet in the area you are exploring. Another thing too, there is a wayward point on the 1st level of a jail. I got to the 3rd level of the jail and died. When I went back to the wayward point to warp to the jail, all the monsters were back and my map was unexplored again on the 1st floor. I didn't feel like finding my way back through everything I just did so I logged out. Am I over looking an easier option to get to where I died?

Nah that's how it works but most zones are just one level and that doesn't happen. Jail there is a mini boss that's why it reset. Actually, if you portal and the dungeon is inactive more than 8-15 mins it resets, but look on bright side I play hardcore and if you die you are warped to the town of the default league with no stash and no access to that gear now. I love it though. Season 1 of the race season starts tomorrow. Tomorrow is the 1 hour solo race. You start with nothing and race to see who gets furthest, most xp, first for area clears. You get awarded points for certain markers achieved that at the end of the season can be used to buy stuff or you get awards. Freaking awesome.

---------- Post added February-21st-2013 at 06:12 PM ----------

I just downloaded it, I dont see how it could be any worse than D3. Is it possible to party up with fellow Skin fans during game play? if so PM me if interested.

Peace and chicken greae

Partying is actually better, better loot drops.

---------- Post added February-21st-2013 at 06:14 PM ----------

My brother in-law showed me some of it and the skill tree is crazy huge not sure where one would start or go (hopefully its easier than it looks). Seems like you could take any chararcter class in any direction (i mean you can zoom in/out of the skill tree to see the whole thing)

Yup, that's a great thing about it, if you want to spec your witch to duel wield swords, you can.

---------- Post added February-21st-2013 at 06:16 PM ----------

For the new people out there, be sure to google path of exile vendor recipes. All that useless loot you gather can be exchanged for orbs of all sorts with different combinations of trading/selling. On a side note: I've already spent 65 bucks on this free to play game, it's that good. I was an early supporter and have bought 12 extra stash tabs lol.

---------- Post added February-21st-2013 at 06:21 PM ----------

When does the open beta end?

Ends by the end of the year, but there are no more wipes and youd never know it was an open beta unless told. Last patch they added separate artwork for all the skill gems, added more orchestra to some of the music, and tons of various other stuff. My mind was blown forgetting its not finished yet. The last major thing is the end of act 3 has yet to be added but the game is real long without it and flows right into the cruel difficulty when beating the act 3 content in game.

Man I got this yesterday just because of this thread. I had seen it before and contemplated trying it because I was disappointed with Diablo 3.

This game is great! I had a blast playing last night. Thanks for the recommendation Zazzaro.

It's crazy a game this good is free. Graphics and sound are both great, combat is fun....can't say enough good things about it.

If anyone else is on the fence I'd say do yourself a favor and download it. Give yourself about 2 hours to get some skill gems, passives, weapons to see how fun it is.

Glad to recommend thank you, having been an aid gamer about 28 years of my 32 Id like to think I know a thing or two about good games and with all the full retail crap out there I have no problems promoting a freaking FREE TO PLAY game that is as good if not better than triple AAA retail games. Would like to see total money spent on ruining D3 and how much PoE is needing. PoE team deserves people's support and it's def starting to get way more exposure and the attention it deserves.

Oh, I love the game. It's really fun. It just sucks at times if I die and haven't found the wayward point yet. A lot of times the entire dungeon resets before I get back to where I died. If I put a portal down and die, will the portal be there in town when I res?

Couldn't even tell you, like I said I play hardcore so death is it for me with no portal. You can keep playing that character in the normal/default league but that's never been much fun for me. Plus my entire stash is in the hardcore league. I know if you get disconnected the zone will stay cleared if you log back in real fast.

Oh, I love the game. It's really fun. It just sucks at times if I die and haven't found the wayward point yet. A lot of times the entire dungeon resets before I get back to where I died. If I put a portal down and die, will the portal be there in town when I res?

Yes. The portal doesn't last forever though.

Yes. The portal doesn't last forever though.

Yeah ive gotten ****ed a few times going on a cigarette break while in town only to have the portal disappear. It says 8-15 minutes during the loading screens but i swear I've had mine vanish in 3 minutes lol. Although, since the game is so good doing sections over doesn't really matter. You are doing sections over and over and over and over again anyways in hardcore power leveling to stay alive and using alts to do the grinding for gear (That's how i play at least) so doens't much matter in the end unless it's a portal before a boss fight.

Archived