Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT - Eagles offensive line still has major questions

Champskins

The Eagles have made a lot of good moves this offseason. How could you not like their talent?

Yet I still see the Saints and Packers as the NFC favorites because their teams look more complete and they have better continuity. There are plenty of questions about Philly’s defense and its new defensive coordinator.

And if there is a weakness of this squad, it remains on the offensive live. Training camp hasn’t helped matters.

Mike Vick has no idea who will be protecting his blindside this year.

“I can’t tell you that right now. Why you asking me tough questions like that? Make it easy for me. I’m ready to go home,” Vick said Wednesday via Rich Hoffman of the Philadelphia Daily News, drawing laughter.

Last year’s right tackle Winston Justice hasn’t practiced because of a knee injury. His backup Ryan Harris, picked up from Denver, is out with a back injury. Just like he was for much of his time in Denver.

King Dunlap will start the team’s next preseason game, which doesn’t make Eagles fans feel great. He’ll start next to rookie guard Danny Watkins, who has shown promise but also looked like a rookie at times in camp. At center, the starter also remains uncertain. Rookie Jason Kelce is battling with Jamaal Jackson.

Put all this uncertainty against the backdrop of a shortened offseason and a new offensive line coach (Howard Mudd) who is installing a vastly different blocking scheme. Some problems are to be expected. Oh, and the old offensive line coach is now the defensive coordinator.

Weird, added a ton of big name, high dollar free agents that probably wont mesh well together but your O-line still stinks... sounds familiar - Times are changing around 'Skins Country my friends

All of this "Dream Team" crap that has been spouted since the Eagles dropped major dough on Asamouagh (sp?) is all window dressing. Good thing Vick's mobile - but I have a feeling he's going to take some major abuse at the start of the season, which will not bode well for Philly down the stretch. We may even be facing VY by week 6 (just my prediction) because Vick will have been beaten up.

Who was the team that gave everyone the blue print to beat the Eagles - knock Vick into submission, you can beat their defense? The Raiders?

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, pf, my post was pretty much tongue in cheek. The guy's had 4 back surgeries now, I believe. In about a 6 year span. He's pretty well cooked. But he's optimistic anyway.

My take on Ryan Harris is that he's not even in the realm of Jammal Brown as far as skillset.... he was just younger and familiar with Shanny. Glad we didn't make that move

• 2 weeks later...
They're trying so hard to matchup with the packers, that I think they forgot they were in the NFC East - where teams are going to run the ball.

The Eagles are going to have a tough time stopping teams that can run the ball. I was surprised at the big runs they were giving up against he rams.

They looked horrible at first, but kind of settled into the game. Of course, playing with a lead helps. But you really would not like your QB to take that many hits. Not your 100M man. They have to protect him better.

They're trying so hard to matchup with the packers, that I think they forgot they were in the NFC East - where teams are going to run the ball.

The Eagles are going to have a tough time stopping teams that can run the ball. I was suprised at the big runs they were giving up against he rams.

It's not a running league anymore. Very few games are going to be won because one team pounded the ball consistently down the others' throats. It's a passing league.

What's wrong with Graham? It's not his fault he got injured.

that is the ONLY bird player i like, UM grad, huge motor, can't hate on him for getting injured.

---------- Post added September-12th-2011 at 08:37 AM ----------

It's not a running league anymore. Very few games are going to be won because one team pounded the ball consistently down the others' throats. It's a passing league.

uhhhh, if you look at the majority of teams who have won in the past, yes they have a good passing game, but it is consistently balanced with a run, remember starks last year? ususally there is a stat that if X team runs less than X% of the time they lose

It's not a running league anymore. ..... It's a passing league.

Very true. All you have to do is look at that horrible call on Assante Samuel to see how they really protect the receivers.

But Steven Jackson looked great before the quad injury. The complexion of the game completely changed. It was like that playoff game where the Ravens broke Chris Johnson in half. He was unstoppable. Once he was gone, it was different. Now even the backup Caddy got 90 yards... I think the key to beating the Eagles defense is force the linebackers to defend the run.

Very true. All you have to do is look at that horrible call on Assante Samuel to see how they really protect the receivers.

But Steven Jackson looked great before the quad injury. The complexion of the game completely changed. It was like that playoff game where the Ravens broke Chris Johnson in half. He was unstoppable. Once he was gone, it was different. Now even the backup Caddy got 90 yards... I think the key to beating the Eagles defense is force the linebackers to defend the run.

Yup. Play defense by playing offense. Keep Vick and co. off the field.

A team that can run the football AND complete PA passes to TEs and slot receiver(s) could be very effective. I think as time goes on NA and AS will be fine against most outside receivers, but the middle of the field...that's where they'll be weak against the pass.

A team that can run the football AND complete PA passes to TEs and slot receiver(s) could be very effective. I think as time goes on NA and AS will be fine against most outside receivers, but the middle of the field...that's where they'll be weak against the pass.

Well, they're still figuring out who should play in the slot. DRC gets that job, but it's not like he has any experience in that position. They got pretty good play out of Page, and the Rams were horrible on 3rd down, but honestly, I thought that was because of the injuries they suffered in game. Jason Smith, Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola? Yikes. Witten is going to have a field day with the Eagles I think. Cooley/Davis as well. Davis had a great game yesterday.

That's true, however, if you're giving up 5-10 yards a carry, teams are going to run and keep running on you. You guys were struggling against the rams rushing attack, big time.

You better beleive that teams are going to try to run on the Eagles now, after seeing what the rams did; you can still win games in this league by running the ball.

Seems to be the blue print to beating the Eagles.

I think you guys will have a hard time stopping a team like the Giants rushing attack, who have a two headed monster of a backfield, and who can do some serious damage attacking you on the ground.

; felix jones is likely to tear you guys up in the flats.

; wait till you meet Mr. Hightower ;)

It's a passing league, but you guys still have 3 teams in your division you have to beat (who are committed to the running the football - and who are going to pick on your linebackers).

To me, the Eagles are a scary team, but they have some serious problems going on in stopping the run.

The problem is, it's hard to commit to the run when the Eagles offense is putting up points left and right.

But yeah you definitely can run the ball on them. And their OL looked bad, but Vick is so elusive that most of the time it doesn't matter.

Yeah, you're right, and Vick is a nightmare.

I expect teams to attack their linebackers, and not JUST run on them. Linebackers are also responsible for covering the rbs and sometimes TE's - middle of the field (like was mentioned earlier) etc...

You know a team like the cowboys is going to run a lot of screens etc..., and Hightower is also good as receiver, while coming out of the backfield.

Archived