Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Georgetown Hoyas Basketball Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

http://www.casualhoya.com/2010/11/1/1761321/tyler-adams-to-georgetown-former-duke-commit-picks-hoyas-over

Tyler Adams to Georgetown; Former Duke Commit Picks Hoyas Over Mississippi State

Mississippi big man Tyler Adams has committed to Georgetown, according to ESPN's Dave Telep. Adams is listed as the 5th best center and 54th best player in the Class of 2011 by Rivals.

He had originally given a verbal commitment to Duke in April but chose to attend Georgetown's Midnight Madness rather than the festivities staged by the Blue Devils. He withdrew his commitment to Duke in late October and was recently deciding between Georgetown and Mississippi State before announcing his intentions to come to the Hilltop next fall.

Some Duke fans will certainly cry foul play, and make feeble attempts to differentiate this situation from the recruitment of Austin Rivers, who was committed to Florida when he took an unofficial visit to Durham, subsequently reopening his recruitment and later committing to Duke. Others will realize that the fickle verbal commitments of 17 year old high school players are often subject to change and the recruiting game involves attaining and now maintaining verbal commitments. Adams chose to reevaluate his initial college choice and wanted to explore more options. Given his prior connection to new Georgetown assistant coach Robert Kirby, and the program's recent history of sending big men to the NBA, the Hoyas were a natural choice. Plenty of other rumors are out there regarding Adams' decision, some make more sense than others depending on your school allegiance.

I admit that I was initially disappointed to learn that Georgetown was involved with a player that had committed to another program, and the fact that Duke had done something similar with Austin Rivers was not a justifiable reason. I do trust, however, that Thompson the Third and staff acted ethically, and I realize that the recruiting game is quickly changing as verbal commitments are often meaningless. To quote the venerable Omar: "The game's out there, and it's play or get played."

Since coming to the Hilltop, John Thompson III has battled Mike Krzyzewski for many recruits, including Greg Monroe, Hollis Thompson, Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton. The Tyler Adams saga will certainly add more fuel to the recruiting fire as both programs continue to pursue the similar types of players. This makes for an interesting story line for the 2011 Maui Invitational, which features both the Hoyas and Blue Devils.

For Georgetown, the Adams commitment continues an incredible turnaround in Hoya recruiting. After a dismal summer, Georgetown has secured four commitments in the last two months, including an under-the-radar wing in Jabril Trawick, a top center in Mikael Hopkins, and a rising star in Brandon Bolden. Considering the quality of players who attended Georgetown's Midnight Madness, the future is bright for Hoya Basketball. Georgetown now has one scholarship left in 2011 and two in 2012, and is actively pursuing a number of top-rated recruits, including guards Kyle Anderson and James Robinson and big man Daniel Ochefu.

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 02:58 PM ----------

http://www.therecruitscoop.com/jabril-trawick-commits-to-georgetown

Jabril Trawick Commits to Georgetown

Jabril Trawick, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Abington Friends High School in Pennsylvania, has seen his stock rise over the last year. Trawick was a virtual unknown a few years ago. Now he is one of the top seniors in the Philadelphia area.

This weekend, the guard went on an official visit to Georgetown. He came out a Hoya. “I just committed to Georgetown,” Trawick said by text. Georgetown coach John Thompson III and staff were very pleased with what they saw this summer out of Jabril. They offered during the July live period.

“The coaching staff and the group of players that I will be playing with is a big reason why I chose Georgetown,” Trawick stated. “The time we will get on television is awesome and I really like the Verizon Center. There are a lot of connections there, it’s like a pipeline.” Jabril will also see some significant minutes early on. “(Current Hoyas) Austin and Chris are leaving and I’m going to fill in.” He also commented on the location, “It’s a good location; it’s not to far from home.”

As the Philly native is the first commitment for the class of 2011, Georgetown looks to head in the right direction with this commitment. During his official visit, Trawick got to see and experience the Georgetown lifestyle. “I got to play pickup with former Hoya, Roy Hibbert,” he stated. “It was a good time.”

Jabril was down to the Big East school and Florida State. This time, the Hoya’s came up big and received a commitment from a guard who has NBA potential.

Jabril Trawick, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard from Abington Friends High School in Pennsylvania, has seen his stock rise over the last year. Trawick was a virtual unknown a few years ago. Now he is one of the top seniors in the Philadelphia area.

This weekend, the guard went on an official visit to Georgetown. He came out a Hoya. “I just committed to Georgetown,” Trawick said by text. Georgetown coach John Thompson III and staff were very pleased with what they saw this summer out of Jabril. They offered during the July live period.

“The coaching staff and the group of players that I will be playing with is a big reason why I chose Georgetown,” Trawick stated. “The time we will get on television is awesome and I really like the Verizon Center. There are a lot of connections there, it’s like a pipeline.” Jabril will also see some significant minutes early on. “(Current Hoyas) Austin and Chris are leaving and I’m going to fill in.” He also commented on the location, “It’s a good location; it’s not to far from home.”

As the Philly native is the first commitment for the class of 2011, Georgetown looks to head in the right direction with this commitment. During his official visit, Trawick got to see and experience the Georgetown lifestyle. “I got to play pickup with former Hoya, Roy Hibbert,” he stated. “It was a good time.”

Jabril was down to the Big East school and Florida State. This time, the Hoya’s came up big and received a commitment from a guard who has NBA potential.

---------- Post added May-10th-2011 at 03:03 PM ----------

http://www.casualhoya.com/2010/10/15/1754852/class-of-2012-brandon-bolden-commits-to-georgetown

Class of 2012 Big Man Brandon Bolden Commits To Georgetown

Midnight Madness is off to a great start. Brandon Bolden, a 6'10" center from the Crozet Miller School in Virginia, has committed to Georgetown per Nationwide Nolan's Twitter.

Bolden, a member of the class of 2012, is a huge get for John Thompson III and staff. Georgetown continues to recruit well in its backyard, adding Mikael Hopkins and Bolden over the past two weeks.

More to follow as we learn more information, but for now enjoy Midnight Madness and know that Georgetown continues to build on the successes of the past few years.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

• 3 months later...
Kyle Anderson to Visit Georgetown on September 6th

Kyle Anderson, the crown jewel of Georgetown's recruiting efforts in the Class of 2012, will visit campus on Tuesday, September 6th. Anderson was initially scheduled to be on campus today, but had his travel plans altered due to Hurricane Irene. Anderson will still visit St. John's and Seton Hall later this week, then Georgetown on the 6th and finally Florida on the 16th before making his decision on September 20th.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not looking good. Still early though.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 01:29 AM ----------

I'll say this: Kansas, the #14 team in the country, isn't clearly better or even more talented than Georgetown. They're pretty even as far as I can tell, so far.

As I've said before, I'm not really into college basketball. But with the lockout, this is what I got. If I'm wrong about something, please tell me so. I can just call it like I see it. Georgetown is right there with them.

(And that last 3 by Kansas is EXACTLY why I don't like college basketball so much)

Not looking good. Still early though.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 01:29 AM ----------

I'll say this: Kansas, the #14 team in the country, isn't clearly better or even more talented than Georgetown. They're pretty even as far as I can tell, so far.

As I've said before, I'm not really into college basketball. But with the lockout, this is what I got. If I'm wrong about something, please tell me so. I can just call it like I see it. Georgetown is right there with them.

(And that last 3 by Kansas is EXACTLY why I don't like college basketball so much)

Yeah, G'Town can definitely play with Kansas.

And don't forget that G'Town is relying on 6 Freshman too.

Yeah the announcers were just talking about how they had a STRONG recruiting class.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 01:40 AM ----------

Thompson is legit.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 01:50 AM ----------

This is where being young is gonna hurt Georgetown. When they fall behind a little bit and face adversity. You see it with Kentucky every year. Young players won't respond as well as seasoned players. JTIII is a quality coach though.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 02:29 AM ----------

I always laugh at the hack announcers on ESPN. Early on doing schtick pumping up the ranked, higher-profile team. Then, as the game goes on, and they actually get a clue to what they're talking about..."Well, you know, Kansas seems kinda light in the frontcourt. Georgetown has a lot of talent." etc etc etc.

I like the way we are hustling that's for sure. Would like to see some more penetration into the lane by Clark and Starks. Our lack of size hurts too, I never liked Sims. He is a top 100 recruit who never lived up to the bill. He needs to post up! But due to the Princeton offense he is typically around the arc.

Young talented team that's for sure.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 01:42 AM ----------

We rely too much on 3s. Thompson loves to jack em up, which isn't always a bad thing but he needs to be more selective.

Can't guard those super athletic Jayhawk bigs. They basically just jump over Lubick.

Wow, Hoyas just got ****ed HARD by the refs. One of the worst calls I've seen in awhile. And it's one thing to call a weak foul, but to foul someone out on one? Total, utter bull****. I just DVR'd it. I'll post vid tomorrow for those who are sleeping.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 03:08 AM ----------

Waited WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long to foul, imo.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 03:09 AM ----------

Well anyway, good game by Georgetown. A young team that's only going to get better.

My dad was a G-town alum, and I have fond memories of watchng games with him when I was a kid... but that said, the last team I really paid attention to had Sleepy Floyd as its centerpiece.

If I ever DO get into college B-ball, Georgetown will remain my team. I'll leave it at that :)

http://hoopniks.com/power-guard-dvauntes-smith-rivera-commits-to-georgetown

Power Guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera Commits to Georgetown

Georgetown has taken their second verbal commitment in the 2012 class, and it’s from a player that seems ideally suited to their style, 6′-3″ combo guard D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera. The former Xavier commit is a native of Indiana, that’s finishing high school at Oak Hill Academy (VA). Smith-Rivera announced his intentions at a press conference today, following official trips to the Hoyas, and NC State. Smith-Rivera also reportedly considered Louisville and Memphis, but was in attendance at Georgetown’s midnight madness festivities, making his eventual choice today somewhat obvious.

Often referred to as “DSR” for obvious reasons, Smith-Rivera can play either guard position, and is a strong player with a power game when matched against smaller or similarly sized guards. A s a junior at North Central (IN), he averaged 22 points and 4 rebounds. He had a future D-1 player (Ronnie Johnson – Purdue) in the backcourt, and thus was not needed to be the primary ballhandler on the team, though his handle is good. He’s a skilled player that attacks in the half-court set, and has earned a Top 40 ranking among national prospects, by most sources.

At Georgetown, Smith-Rivera figures to see playing plenty of time as a freshman, somewhat by necessity. Senior guard Jason Clark will depart after this season, with Markel Starks the only obvious point guard returning to the roster. Incoming freshman Jabril Trawick is the only other guard that is a lock to be back at Georgetown with Smith-Rivera hits campus. Expect Smith-Rivera to push to start at some point (no pun intended) during his initial season in the nation’s capital.

http://www.casualhoya.com/2011/11/23/2583966/everyone-gets-leid-georgetown-beats-memphis-91-88-in-overtime-thriller#storyjump

Everyone Gets Lei'd! Georgetown Beats Memphis 91-88 In Overtime Thriller

HOP ON THE DELUSION TRAIN HOYA FANS. Georgetown won a masterpiece tonight at the Maui Invitational, beating Memphis 91-88 in overtime. The Hoyas were led by their seniors - Jason Clark and Henry Sims - both of whom were spectacular. Sims, the oft-maligned big man, scored 24 points, grabbed 8 rebounds, and dished out 5 assists in by far the best game of his career. Clark had another monster game, including the biggest bucket of the night in overtime, scoring 26 points on 9-17 shooting.

Hollis Thompson and Markel Starks were also in double figures, each scoring 12 points at crucial moments. Hoya fans had low expectations going into this season, with 10 of 13 players on the rosters only freshmen and sophomores. Yet, tonight's poised and gritty victory begs the question "Should I book my tickets to New Orleans?" Well, probably not yet. But for a team that was picked to finish 10th in the Big East at the beginning of the season, the future is looking brighter by the day.

Jason Clark must of read my post. With that in mind, he shot lights out early on in the season last year and totally disappeared come March. So keep the stroke going all year long Jason.

I love Otto Porter, he needs to start.

Also, I will agree with that article, that was the best we have ever seen out of Henry Sims.

Edited by REDSKINS STOMP

Per ESPN

Other observations: The Hoyas signed a true gem out of Missouri in freshman Otto Porter, who had 9 points, 8 rebounds, 4 steals, 3 assists and 2 blocks off the bench Wednesday. … Speaking of freshmen, Memphis’ Thomas (5 points, 1 rebound, 4 turnovers) isn’t progressing nearly as quickly, despite being more highly touted … Memphis forward Stan Simpson, a juco transfer, came off the bench and hit some huge free throws late in Wednesday’s game. … The slew of NBA scouts that made the trip to Maui this week surely developed a positive opinion of Georgetown’s Hollis Thompson, whose versatility was on full display Wednesday. … Take away Nate Lubick’s 0-for-6 performance from the field, and Georgetown went 34-of-64 Wednesday. Pretty impressive … I’ve been saying this for two years, but Hoyas guard Clark is one of the country’s most underrated players. … Same goes for John Thompson III in the coaching category.

What it means: There’s no way Georgetown is the 10th-best team in the Big East. The Hoyas are big, versatile, athletic and well-coached. Their biggest flaws are a lack of an experienced, high-level point guard and their overall youth. But anyone who witnessed Georgetown’s games against Kansas and Memphis could see that their younger players are seasoned beyond their years. At this point Georgetown looks like a fringe top-25 team that could break into the rankings with a few more quality wins

All I know is that the Hoyas are loaded with good talent. They have so many top 100 recruits. I saw them play against Kansas and Memphis and their guys run up and down the court like gazelle. Otto Porter is a diaper dandy. Jason Clark is playing hungry. I am going to taper my expectations (I've been doing that with all my sports teams the past few years) because they are so young but they aren't going to be as uncompetitive as some "experts" thought they would be this year. JTIII is a good coach regardless of the past few tournament fizzles. He'll get the most out of these kids.

Very very nice!!! I was about to bump this if you didn't STOMP!

I'm so glad Thompson decided to come back. He and Clark are our best shooters easily. Hollis has a solid drive game and is really good going to his left and using his left hand, he had a couple key baskets tonight on left-handed layups. Some rebounds too.

I was rough on Henry Sims earlier but he's having a good season. Finally using his size to his advantage. I wanna see him remain aggressive and finish (missed an easy dunk/layup near the end of the game that could've pushed the lead).

Anyway I like this team, it is loaded with talent. But I am fully aware of the ups and downs of a young team. Like we were up 9 with 2:30 left tonight and allowed Alabama to come back to take the lead until Hollis drained that vicious 3. Can't turn the ball over and gotta burn the shot clock, which we didn't do. But Hollis came through with the dagger!