Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Teams should benefit from incorrect game changing calls...

chaught76

Not that this would happen, but instead of the league just apologizing anytime an official blows a call that changes the outcome of the game, I would like to see the slighted team receive compensatory low round draft picks. There would need to be undeniable proof of blown call. :idea:

What do you think gang?

If the league did that, they'd have to have a freakin 20 round draft........... What the league needs to do is start grading the Refs and those that don't make a good grade, don't Ref anymore. Ref's need to be held accountable, if they do a crappy job, they get fired, just like the rest of the working world.

:2cents:

If the league did that, they'd have to have a freakin 20 round draft........... What the league needs to do is start grading the Refs and those that don't make a good grade, don't Ref anymore. Ref's need to be held accountable, if they do a crappy job, they get fired, just like the rest of the working world.

i agree with you, this is the perfect solution. A grade system must be implemented and in addition I would like to see the refs go into a trainning/refreshment program in the offseason where missed/bad calls are highlighted and analyzed. This will also include non-calls where there should be one. The point is players get punished if htey miss tackles etc, by being cut/move to reserver etc why not the refs. You just can't have a guy like the lJ in last years Redskins-Cowboy game blow two major calls for a 14 point swing continue to ref in the NFL----and low and behold didn't someone say he was also part of last games crew? There you have it.

exactly. :applause:

I don't think there would be that many bad calls. To your point though, the rule could only apply to a scoring play and maybe it would be more realistic if the calls were cumlative. For example:

2 blown calls that changed the outcome of a game = 7 round draft pick

4 blown calls that changed the outcome of a game = 6 round draft pick

8 blown calls that changed the outcome of a game = 5 round draft pick

16 or more blown calls that changed the outcome of a game = 4 round draft pick

Also, the new rule would only apply in regular season games. Playoff games would not be subject to the rule.

Not that this would happen, but instead of the league just apologizing anytime an official blows a call that changes the outcome of the game, I would like to see the slighted team receive compensatory low round draft picks. There would need to be undeniable proof of blown call. :idea:

What do you think gang?

Nothing will ever happen.

That's a terrible idea.

All that will do is have fans complaining that team X gets a 4th rounder while their team gets a 6th. It's tough enough to watch games influenced by bad refs. Now you want drafts to be as well?

Refereeing, for better or for worse, is part of the game. Always has been. Adding MORE rules isn't going to change that.

I don't think there would be that many bad calls. To your point though, the rule could only apply to a scoring play and maybe it would be more realistic if the calls were cumlative. For example:

2 blown calls that changed the outcome of a game = 7 round draft pick

4 blown calls that changed the outcome of a game = 6 round draft pick

8 blown calls that changed the outcome of a game = 5 round draft pick

16 or more blown calls that changed the outcome of a game = 4 round draft pick

Also, the new rule would only apply in regular season games. Playoff games would not be subject to the rule.

Wow dude, I think you have just put way too much thought into this. We just need to accept it, we all get bad calls sometimes. Must...keep...moving...forward...!

Anybody remember the SNL skit several years back with John Goodman playing a referee with a talk show and fans could ask him why he screwed up the calls?

I know nothing will be done, but I wish refs would be held accountable and be made to apologize to the teams and the fans publicly.

compensatory low round draft picks? what are you thinking? how could that even work? teams that suck get the best picks. so they should lose a pick because a ref screwed up? cmon. i say fine the refs. if a player does something to dishonor the team or league they get suspended and fined..... why should refs be treated any different? also.... i know this may sound dumb but, say in a game like last weeks where there is indisputable evidence that a bad call changed the outcome of the game. and it was a scoring play that made thaqt difference...... why cant the league overturn the outcome? ok maybe that wont work ut then again why not?

and to all the people i have seen complaining about JG...... BACK OFF!!

JG is the man and as a fan for 27 years now, its about time to see some pride return to the team. be patient ..... rome wasnt built in a day!!:dallasuck

I say just make them available for a 15-minute presser after the game, where they can explain how they called the game.

It's tough, because you want them to have the freedom to call a game impartially and w/o intense pressurized scrutiny, but having them completely protected is unsatisfactory as it doesn't expose them to the consequences of their actions.

Players and coaches get their feet to the fire after a game, why not refs? Kind of a who will watch the watchers thing going on here, IMO...

I have a better idea. Remember when the refs went on strike? I wish that would happen again and we could bring back the replacement refs. They let the players, for the most part, play. There were many less contraversial calls, and the penalties were not one sided.

Just my opinion.

Hey..what if the refs were made to watch the tapes of the call in question at a post game ..televised press conference and asked to explain themselves ..(coaches get grilled and players get mikes in their faces in the locker room)..and stop hiding behind the league for protection when they blatently blow the call..I'm a bad speller

Fines!!!

Coaches can be fined for calling out the a-holes that make these ridiculous calls, but refs get away with an apology. SCREW THAT!!! gibbs gets slapped w/ a fine for telling people how it is, then Gibbs get ridiculed for telling people how it is. then we sit at home for the playoffs while smug a$$ Gruden gets all the credit for having balls? What kind of world is this???

Just trying to make conversation. As I initially said, I don't think this would ever happen.

Ultimately, I agree with most that there needs to be accountability for the errors. Whether it is fines or performance based pay. I was just trying to think out of the box. Guess, I landed on another planet with this one. Ha! :laugh:

Thanks for conversation gang. Peace. :peaceout:

Archived