Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Czabe's latest comments....................

hail2skins

...........................for your viewing pleasure (www.czabe.com)

Smoot Escapes Skins "Core" Group - 03/10/05

Attaboy, Freddie

Fred Smoot is gone, and I must say that despite the fact we ALL knew it was coming, doesn’t make it sting any less. If I may, here’s a brief eulogy of one Fred Smoot. “Fred, I was like many Redskin fans who viewed you with a skeptical eye coming out of college. We had heard about the marijuana issues. We heard the smack talking good ol’ boy Mississippi jive and the legendary “Smootmobile.” But you know what, through the entire four year tenure here, you were a model pro. When other players made excuses, and bemoaned bad luck, you Fred, stood up and said “no excuses. We just need to win.” You did not have a single embarrassing moment as a Redskin. Nothing off the field, nothing on the field. You rarely got personal fouls. The celebrations on the field after big plays (and there were plenty) always fit into the mold of joyous exuberance, not narcissistic me-first-ism. Smoot “bought in” to every coach he played for here. When Marty was dead man coaching, Smoot didn’t waver. When Spurrier was “learin’ as I go”, Smoot didn’t question. When Gibbs was “battlin’ his guts out” Smoot never batted an eyelash. Freddie almost always posted on Sunday. He played hurt with various ailments. He played tough, both in coverage and run support. Fred had a great nose for the football, and would rarely let a receiver outjump him on a 50-50 ball. Best of all, Freddie was a joy to listen to, sometimes ****y, but mostly tongue in cheek. Of all the guys who could be called a true “modern” Redskin, Fred was it. A second round pick, that other teams missed on, but Marty’s war room accurately pegged. Gibbs can say all he wants about how “hard he tried” to keep him. But the bottom line is, he couldn’t. And that falls on his shoulders, not Fred’s. Get it done, coach. There is no “try” in the NFL. Fred goes to the Vikings, and team in transition now to be sure. There defense has needed help for years. I think he’ll provide it. Fred Smoot will likely be in the playoffs this year, while the Redskins likely will not. For this, I am happy for Fred Smoot. Thanks Freddie. Stay healthy, and kick ass.

My Preference

Some emailers have said that I don’t any “solutions” or alternate ideas for this past (disastrous) free agency period for my Redskins, just criticism. Fine. Here it is. 1. Coles is unhappy? So what? Ty Law called Belichick A LIAR last winter for not giving him an extension. Did owner Bob Kraft get on the phone and threaten him with a “flat screen punishment” as Danny did to Coles? No. The CHAMPS, calmly said: “See you in July, Ty.” He came, played well before getting hurt. Now he’s gone, on the Pats terms, with cap BENEFITS, not cap pain. That’s how REAL organizations handle this. They don’t let their d*** size or wallet dictate roster moves. Skins should have just told LC: “Sorry. Nothing we can do.” Between now and July, Coles would have plenty of time to reconsider sitting out. SAVINGS: $9 million. 2. Step 1 would allow team to NOT re-do Samuels contract to unbelievable proportions. Carry him this year at a hefty (but not unheard of $10.5 M against cap). That way, if he gets badly injured, or plays poorly, you can make a more SOBER decision next February, not a PANIC move to frantically get cap space for Coles fiasco trade. 3. RE-sign Pierce... IN DECEMBER!!! When this deal could/should have been done. You would be amazed at how much cheaper you get guys for before free agency flag drops. 4. RE-sign Smoot for compromise $12M bonus. Fair, and in line with other corners. Prove to OTHER redskins, that good team guys (which Smoot was one!) will get rewarded. 5. No Patten. Pointless. A friend of mine with WEEI in Boston said Brady told them off the air that Patten couldn’t get open at all in the playoffs. He’s done. Stiff. Use his 3.5 plus other savings for Rabach. Good solid deal. There... How's that?

The King Balks

How much is local TV sports legend George “The King” Michael in the tank for Dan Snyder and the Redskins? How about this. Last night the Smoot to Minnesota news broke around 9:30 p.m. All the other local sports anchors LEAD their ‘casts with this news – and rightly so. Redskins dominate this town, and even if Smoot leaving was “expected” it is worthy of lead status. Feldman, Brandt, and Haber all put it at the top. So where did King George put it? FOURTH! Behind the oh-so-meaningful Oakland upset in the Mid Continent. Are you kidding me! What kind of lame attempt was this to “manage” the bad news coming out of Redskin park? I have no problem with media types having “relationships” with owners and teams. But to let it blatantly effect your news judgment? A disservice to your viewers, a knock on your credibility, and not what I expect from “The King.”

3. RE-sign Pierce... IN DECEMBER!!! When this deal could/should have been done. You would be amazed at how much cheaper you get guys for before free agency flag drops.

Criminey...

What part of Coach Gibbs saying that he tried to re-sign Pierce and Smoot in November did Slingczabe miss... ? They both wanted to try Free Agency and see what they could get. The 'Skins didn't pay more because they didn't want to pay more. He sounds like some people on this board who think we should just let players dictate what they make, even if the team doesn't believe they are worth it. He still offers no solutions and his rants are just more and more personal and less objective.

Nick

Please, when anyone mentions Czaban, make sure, for disclosure purposes, that you mention that the Redskins made a business decision that directly impacted his bank account in a negative way.

That way, whenever he rants against the Skins - which is his perogative, we'll know why.

He is personally involved and not just an observer.

This guy is a douchebag. They did try to re-sign Pierce throughout the entire season, dumb@ss. Pierce and Smoot were intent on trying out free agency, and both got deals for more than we were willing to pay them. He's acting like the Skins just let them go without even talking about a new contract with them. I can't stand these people who are b1tching about how the Skins overspend every year, are b1tching about overspending for Samuels, and now are b1tching about not overspending for Pierce and Smoot. :doh: If we kept Coles, didn't extend Samuels deal, and re-signed Smoot and Pierce to their respective deals, we'd be in a much worse cap situation in the next few years than we will be now. Giving huge deals to players you like also has future cap ramifications too. But why would Gibbs care about the future if he's only in this for the money and for another year, right Czabe? F him.

Originally posted by rdsknbill

Czlab was flailing away at Gibbs this morning on Fox Sports news.

:jerk:

I heard him this morning, and I thought he really sounded foolish. If I'd had time on my way to work, I'd have called in. It goes beyond questioning the teams strategy....he's moved well beyond that into 'unprofessional' and 'disrespectful'

You know what bugs me the most about him? 90% of the posters here know more about sports and the Redskins specifically than Czaban does. Its PAINFULLY obvious. He really doesn't even pretend to know what he's talking about.

I really wish, having heard him rip Gibbs to shreds (and then deny he just did it, sometimes in the same sentence), I really wish he'd just find another team to root for. He was encouraging his Eagle fan partner to jump in right along with him this morning. It made me sick to listen to it.

So, if I wasn't a 'Gibb's Jihadist' before, I sure as hell am one now Czaban. And you're an infidel :)

Here's the funniest thing about Czaban (and Pollin). Last year they wanted to get rid of Clinton Portis and LaVar Arrington because Betts had one good game against the Vikes and Marshall was solid replacing Arrington. Both Arrington and Portis are elite players in the NFL and "The Sports Boobs" want to get rid of them and act like replacing them is no problem.

Now we fast forward to the offseason. We lose two good players who had excellent seasons in 2004 but are by no means considered elite talent. Now the sky is falling with "The Sports Boobs" . The Redskins can't possibly replace these two. It's impossible.:yawnee:

I've stopped listening a while ago, I really need to stay away from these Czaban/WTEM threads. I get too riled up.:D

the trouble with Czaban is he criticizes the team for almost every move that is made and then totally ignores that the Redskins got Smoot at #45 in Round 2 of the 2001 draft after he was passed by all 31 other teams in the NFL.

clearly, some good moves have been made as well as poor ones :)

Taylor certainly doesn't look like a wasted pick at #5 last year. All 3 of the other Redskins choices made the roster. Cooley along with Taylor started almost right away and Wilson started a game at RT.

There was nothing wrong with the Redskins draft in 2004 except we didn't have enough picks. We need to be smarter in not giving up those #3 and #4 picks in compensation for other signings.

Those are the rounds where you can still find first and second round talent that has dropped, often for reasons of pre-draft rumor and innuendo which turns out NOT to be true.

As far as Coles goes, Gibbs clearly made the decision that it was better to jettison a malcontent instead of keeping him around just to save cap dollars for 2005.

This is the type of decision, criticized at the time, that lets players on the team know that the team won't take ANYTHING a player has to say and allow him to stick around and infect the rest of the players.

Yes, the Skins could have kept Coles, used the money from the Samuels restructuring to sign other players.

But that very well might have produced a negative effect on the 2006 cap IF Coles again was hobbled through an NFL season and his toe condition as feared is degenerative.

Then we would be forced to release him for performance reasons in a year in which we have other important decisions to make on personnel.

Gibbs chose not to take the risk with Coles I think BOTH because of the injury but also because he was on the verge of becoming a political dissident on the club.

You can see from the comments of Walt Harris, Jon Jansen and Randy Thomas that the players were not lining up behind Coles and his selfish gambit.

Most felt he wasn't giving Gibbs enough of a chance to succeed.

And of course there is the issue of the fact he took the money when it was good for him and like a child wanted to disavow his obligations when they meant some sacrifice on his part.

Typical selfish player.

We don't need this type of player here. Our problem precisely has been TOO MANY selfish prima donnas around here in recent years.

Czaban is a tool because all he does is follow the wins and sniff the jocks of the teams/players that are on the clear upswing.

Any 8 year old can do that.

He has no insight on the players Gibbs has acquired. His 'research' involves asking a guy on WEEI in Boston about David Patten and learning that some Pats felt he didn't get open enough in the playoffs.

Well, he seemed to get open enough in the regular season. You don't finish with an 18 yard per catch average and not have speed/quickness in your corner.

Remember that New England as a very fast set of receivers in Deion Branch, Bethel Johnson, etc.... Patten may not have been in their long term plans at 31. That doesn't mean he doesn't have value for another team.

After the horrible example set by Coles and Gardner in 2004 and the offseason aftermath in terms of behavior and attitude, getting a guy in who is professional, quiet and works hard to be productive is hardly a guy we want to dismiss.

Gibbs got Moss for the spice and got Patten to provide veteran stability.

I think he is counting on Jacobs and McCants stepping up to make the Skins a team that throws to 4 or 5 capable receivers in turn.

I know very little about Czabe. I hear him in the morning as I'm groggy and getting ready for work, and I thin khe's just fine. Like I said, I know nothing about his past or present relationship with the Redskins. BUT, I think he's right on the money with his comments, don't see how you can discount any of what he says.

Originally posted by scruffylookin

Here's the funniest thing about Czaban (and Pollin). Last year they wanted to get rid of Clinton Portis and LaVar Arrington because Betts had one good game against the Vikes and Marshall was solid replacing Arrington. Both Arrington and Portis are elite players in the NFL and "The Sports Boobs" want to get rid of them and act like replacing them is no problem.

Now we fast forward to the offseason. We lose two good players who had excellent seasons in 2004 but are by no means considered elite talent. Now the sky is falling with "The Sports Boobs" . The Redskins can't possibly replace these two. It's impossible.:yawnee:

I've stopped listening a while ago, I really need to stay away from these Czaban/WTEM threads. I get too riled up.:D

those are some good points about Portis and Lavar.

Czabe is a bitter drama queen:king:

Originally posted by Awesome

I know very little about Czabe. I hear him in the morning as I'm groggy and getting ready for work, and I thin khe's just fine. Like I said, I know nothing about his past or present relationship with the Redskins. BUT, I think he's right on the money with his comments, don't see how you can discount any of what he says.

I discount them because I have some sense. Sorry if thats harsh, but read Bulldog's post here about 20 times until it sinks in. The Patten comments Czaban made today are a prime example. You won't find any NFL scout out there that would describe Patten as anything other than a solid, talented, speedy, and reliable wide receiver. But to hear Czaban tell it, he's a no-talent bum. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

I have no axe to grind with Czaban. A month ago, before I got XM and hadn't listened to him much, I defended him. He's calling Joe Gibbs stupid and foolish. If you're really a Redskin's fan and have any respect for what Gibb's capabilities are, you can't possibly agree with Czaban.

To each his own, but I can't understand how a fan could listen to his vicious tripe and say 'I think he's just fine' and 'he's right on the money'.

He was humiliated by the Redskins and he's got a bone to pick. Thats what this is all about.

well, Awesome, it isn't difficult to sit on the sidelines and then criticize moves TWO and THREE years later :)

the trouble with Czaban is he was in favor of a number of the moves the team made back in 2002 and 2003 that heped CREATE the cap mess he feels we are now in :laugh: :laugh:

Great to know that he thinks Gibbs is out of his element and makes the organization look bad with some decisions.

This time last year he was questioning whether the Redskins could pass the Eagles in the NFC East :rolleyes:

Bottom line is SMOOT wanted more money than he was worth all last season. Then called it lack of respect when he did not get it. He got a huge deal. and Good for him. He did get less than his agent asked for during the season from what I heard.

Archived