Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

redskinsblog twitter - The Offensive Line Gets Used To Chris Samuels, Coach (And To Someone Else Wearing 60)

c4man5282

redskinsblog

http://twitter.com/redskinsblog/status/14447234061

#Redskins O-linemen discuss Coach(ing intern) Chris Samuels, the new kid wearing 60, and Trent Williams. http://is.gd/cjoAD #NFL 11 minutes ago via TweetDeck

click on link in tweet for full blog....

The Offensive Line Gets Used To Chris Samuels, Coach (And To Someone Else Wearing 60)

Posted May 21st 2010 2:28PM by Matt Terl (author feed)

01-samuelstrent.jpg

Redskins seventh-round draft choice Selvish Capers is learning a lot as he gets used to life on the professional level.

"It's different," Capers says. "It's a lot faster, there's a lot more that they're putting in and installing at one time, but I can pick it up. The veterans are there helpin' me out throughout the process. I've been grateful and it's been fun."

And Capers isn't just dealing with the usual rookie whiplash. He's also wearing number 60, which -- for the entire last decade -- belonged to all-pro, all-star, all-everything left tackle Chris Samuels.

The pressure doesn't daunt Capers, though. "Not really," he says. "Not much. I just keep hearin' that I'm wearin' a big-time jersey, and it's probably gonna be retired, and all this other stuff. We'll see what happens."

So far, the only thing that's happened is that his teammates are slightly confused. I ask center Casey Rabach how he feels about seeing someone else wearing 60 after all this time.

He says, "Who is?"

Selvish Capers, I say.

"Who?"

Capers. Seventh-round pick.

Rabach looks perplexed. "Is he an O-lineman?"

It is going to be extra irritating watching Capers get beat while wearing #60. Hope he's a quick study!

I doubt we'll be seeing much of Capers in year one or two. If he doesn't develop in that time we probably won't see him at all other than preseason.

I think he'll do well there. Going against third stringers he'll be able to get away with using his athleticism and being sloppy with his technique. The schemes will be so vanilla at that point that there won't be a lot of mental work.

I ask center Casey Rabach how he feels about seeing someone else wearing 60 after all this time.

He says, "Who is?"

Selvish Capers, I say.

"Who?"

Capers. Seventh-round pick.

Rabach looks perplexed. "Is he an O-lineman?"

So much for bonding with teammates and creating chemistry and cohesion during these voluntary OTAs lol :D...

(and yes, I know Rabach was kidding lol)

From Matt Terl's Redskins blog ( I asked Rabach if Samuels -- a guy who played one body-width away for years -- had tried to impart some advice, and he shook his head.

"No, he's attached at the hip to the big-time, Trent [Williams]," Rabach said. "He's attached to that kid. I don't know if he's trying to get some money off him or what )

lol..... Rabach is a character! It is nice to see Samuels is still trying everything he can to help the skins win. Samuels is up there when it comes to true Redskin and Skins Legend..

I think its awesome that Samuels is gonna stick around and help coach. He is a class act and a true Redskins.
Here's hoping that Samuels turns into a real O-line coach one day. For the Redskins, I mean.

Does anyone know how long the coaching internship lasts? Into the season? Or just through TC? And if their might be some position on our coaching staff that he could take after the internship ends?

Here's hoping that Samuels turns into a real O-line coach one day. For the Redskins, I mean.

A lot of times, the most talented athletes are not the best coaches, because they never have to think about or struggle with playing the sport. More often, it's the marginal athletes that make the best coaches.

There are a couple of exceptional athletes that made it into coaching and succeeded, but Joe Gibbs (marginal tight end) is a more common story than Mike Ditka (exceptional tight end).

Archived