Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com - Carpenter: Rams' enthusiasm 'refreshing'

c4man5282

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/18160/carpenter-rams-enthusiasm-refreshing

for rest of article click on link above....

Newly acquired linebacker Bobby Carpenter, 26, should fit into the Rams quickly as one of the team's four linebackers from Ohio State.

Carpenter, speaking to reporters during a conference call Monday after the Cowboys traded him to St. Louis for Alex Barron, said he has already met with Rams coaches and gotten a feel for the building.

"Coming in here today and seeing how energetic everyone is, it's something I was not necessarily taken aback by, but it was refreshing to see that" after spending his first four seasons with an established Cowboys team, Carpenter said.

I know that OT is generally valued above OLB especially if they aren't a great pass rusher but I really think the Rams won here. Carpenter at least has a chance to bounce back in a 4-3 scheme. I don't think he'll ever live up to his first round status but he might be a quality (compared to St. Louis' current talent) starter for a year or two while they rebuild.

I know that OT is generally valued above OLB especially if they aren't a great pass rusher but I really think the Rams won here. Carpenter at least has a chance to bounce back in a 4-3 scheme. I don't think he'll ever live up to his first round status but he might be a quality (compared to St. Louis' current talent) starter for a year or two while they rebuild.

Wow, a skins fan who thinks Dallas got the short end of a trade. How surprising. Dallas offered Carpenter for trade during the draft and noone was willing to give even a 7th for him. St. Louis tendered Barron at the 1st round level but said they would take a 2nd. They lowered that to a 3rd during the draft but were not willing to accept anything lower than a 3rd. Who does that say is the better, more valued player? Noone bit and now they get Carpenter for him and you think they won in this trade?:ols:

This is straight up highway robbery by the Cowboys. A young OT who has started 74 games to be their backup swing tackle versus a soft contact adverse LBer with just a few starts who was nicknames Barbie by his own teammates to be a starter. Give me the experienced and talented OT every day of the week!

Wow, a skins fan who thinks Dallas got the short end of a trade. How surprising. Dallas offered Carpenter for trade during the draft and noone was willing to give even a 7th for him. St. Louis tendered Barron at the 1st round level but said they would take a 2nd. They lowered that to a 3rd during the draft but were not willing to accept anything lower than a 3rd. Who does that say is the better, more valued player? Noone bit and now they get Carpenter for him and you think they won in this trade?:ols:

This is straight up highway robbery by the Cowboys. A young OT who has started 74 games to be their backup swing tackle versus a soft contact adverse LBer with just a few starts who was nicknames Barbie by his own teammates to be a starter. Give me the experienced and talented OT every day of the week!

Not sure you can call it highway robbery, at least not at this time...but we did get a back up OT for a LB that was most likely going to see nothing more then ST play at best....and truth be told we probably would of cut Carpenter this year, so this is nothing more then a something for nothing trade at this time

Every Cowboy fan I've talked to, outside of this board, have stated that this was a win win deal but the Rams got the better deal.

Carpenter has always been a solid player, but he had issues shedding blocks I believe and with the acquisition of other LB's to Dallas' roster he became expendable. They then get a potential replacement/backup incase Free falls, though why they brought in Barron instead of signing Flozell on the cheap is beyond me. I thought he was a ZBS-type linemen.

Either way, Bobby Carpenter should be a solid player for the Rams in a 4-3. He was out of position in a 34.

You're overrating Alex Barron. There's a reason why St. Louis, who couldn't protect their QBs for crap, were looking to get rid of Barron. It's not a matter of not being a fit for the system like Carpenter obviously was, but the fact that Barron was just bad. They're willing to play a 2nd round rookie, who has played LT his whole career, at Barron's position at RT for a reason. Barron sucks as a tackle. He's started because he was a 1st round pick and they were really hoping the light would eventually come on. There's a reason why St. Louis invested high picks into the tackle position the past two drafts (Jason Smith 2nd overall in 2009, Rodger Saffold 33rd, 1st in the 2nd round).

You guys may totally find that he could fit in at guard, but I honestly doubt that. Had Barron the ability to play at guard and be good at it, I'm pretty sure St. Louis would have tried this. This isn't highway robbery by either party, St. Louis or Dallas. You guys simply traded your scrub to see if the other team's scrub would be a better fit, and vice versa.

The only reason why people are more on the side of St. Louis on this is because there's a history of linebackers who simply didn't fit the 3-4 scheme and looked bad, but went to the 4-3 and played much better. While there are 1st round bust tackles who did manage to resurrect their careers as guards, there aren't as many of these as there are with the linebackers.

Every Cowboy fan I've talked to, outside of this board, have stated that this was a win win deal but the Rams got the better deal.

Carpenter has always been a solid player, but he had issues shedding blocks I believe and with the acquisition of other LB's to Dallas' roster he became expendable. They then get a potential replacement/backup incase Free falls, though why they brought in Barron instead of signing Flozell on the cheap is beyond me. I thought he was a ZBS-type linemen.

Either way, Bobby Carpenter should be a solid player for the Rams in a 4-3. He was out of position in a 34.

That's basically my feeling on the trade. I think Carpenter has the potential to fit in better in a 4-3 defense. Meanwhile, Barron probably will end up being a solid backup on a team that sorely needs a solid backup on the OL.

As others have already said, calling it "highway robbery" by the Cowboys is a huge reach at this point.

It's one fringe NFL player being traded for another scrub.

I'd love to somehow see Barron matched up against Orakpo.

I like the trade for both teams, but to call it highway robbery is a farce IMO. What the Redskins got Carriker for in terms of value is much more capable of being a robbery than this swap of 1st round busts can be. Having said that, Barron will find a place on that line as a backup and I think extend his career while Barbie might well be on his way to finding a starting job with the Rams. Don't know that's saying much but it works for all involved.

In compensation though, the Redskins got a much better deal in their trade with the Rams IMO.

New offensive lineman Alex Barron not content being backup plan

BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.

chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- Offensive tackle Alex Barron is coming to Dallas to compete for a starting job. At least that's his plan.

Barron, acquired by the Dallas Cowboys on Monday in a trade with the St. Louis Rams for linebacker Bobby Carpenter, wants no part of the talk that he will serve as insurance for the unproven Doug Free at left tackle.

He has been a starter ever since he has been in the league and his goal is to start in Dallas.

"I feel good," Barron said, when reached by phone after the deal was finally completed. "It's a good thing for me and the team. I feel I can help them and get this thing rolling."

Barron said it's his understanding from the Cowboys that he will come in and compete with Free to replace the departed Flozell Adams.

"They expect me to come in and compete for a left tackle spot," Barron said. "I'm going to give it my all and help the team the best way."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones didn't go that far in a statement released by the team, saying the move was good for the overall line situation.

"The trade brings us a player who, although he is just entering his prime years in the NFL, has 74 career starts under his belt. That experience is invaluable for a young offensive lineman," Jones said. "It also speaks to his durability and versatility -- having started at both tackle positions. The process of managing an offensive line is always ongoing, and this acquisition was a great opportunity for our group."

Barron is a veteran who has started 74 of 76 games at right and left tackle since being taken in the first round of the 2005 draft.

However, he struggled with penalties and bouts of inconsistency. He gave up seven sacks and led the league with 15 penalties last season.

Barron was made expendable when the Rams drafted Rodger Saffold in the second round, one year after taking tackle Jason Smith in the first round.

In Dallas, he is already an upgrade at the third tackle spot behind Free and right tackle Marc Colombo -- if the doesn't beat out Free for the starting job.

The Cowboys' other options are the inexperienced Robert Brewster and Sam Young after moving tackle Pat McQuistan to guard.

Left tackle is considered Barron's best position. He started there in 2007 and 2009 for the Rams.

Regarding his problems in St. Louis, Barron said they were in the past and he was ready to start anew in Dallas.

"It won't be a problem here," Barron said of his penchant for penalties. "I'm ready to get this thing going here in Dallas."

His agent, Roosevelt Barnes, blamed part of Barron's problems on the losing atmosphere in St. Louis where he has gone through a number of head coaches, offensive coordinators and offensive line coaches. Barnes believes a new environment will do his client good.

"He handled the situation the best that he could," Barnes said. "He wasn't bitter. [The criticism] was part of the territory.

"If you are a high draft choice and the team is not winning, that's going to happen. We believe he will come in here and establish himself."

Barnes said Barron is looking to finally make a name for himself among the tackles in the league.

With Walter Jones, Orlando Pace and Chris Samuels retired and Adams unemployed, Barnes said there is a void among top NFC left tackles that Barron is looking forward to filling.

"He is excited because of the expectations for the Cowboys," Barnes said. "He looks at the NFC and sees an opportunity. He has the mind-set that it's his time now to be one of the premier left tackles in the league. There is a void there and it's his time to take his spot."

Clarence E. Hill Jr. 817-390-7760

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/05...x-barron.html?

Highway robbery I tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, we gave Jason Campbell a 1st Round tender and what did we get for him? A 4th Rounder in the 2012 draft! Granted, we did Campbell (deservingly) good and we limited our options for him because he wanted to be a starter (otherwise he wanted to stay with us) which only allowed a couple teams to be in play, but to say that a 1st Round tender is really indicative of anything is naive at best. ;)

lol, we gave Jason Campbell a 1st Round tender and what did we get for him? A 4th Rounder in the 2012 draft! Granted, we did Campbell (deservingly) good and we limited our options for him because he wanted to be a starter (otherwise he wanted to stay with us) which only allowed a couple teams to be in play, but to say that a 1st Round tender is really indicative of anything is naive at best. ;)

Maybe you misunderstood.

Team A - Wants at least a 7th round pick for player A.

Team B - Will not take anything less than a 3rd round pick for player B.

Which player is more highly valued by their team?

If these players are traded straight up for each other, which team looks to be getting the better deal?

What position is more valuable to any team, OT or WLB?

It has nothing to do with the tender. It has to do with the point each team stopped considering trades. Dallas would have taken a 7th for Carp and got no takers. St. Louis wanted at least a 3rd, got no takers, and quit trying to trade him on draft day. Now they take Carp for him? Like I said, highway robbery!!!!!!!!!!!

What position is more valuable to any team, OT or WLB?

The better question is which is more valuable to any team? A starter or a backup?

Carpenter is very likely to play and be a starter for the Rams at WILL. If Barron plays, it'll be because either Free or Columbo are hurt.

The better question is which is more valuable to any team? A starter or a backup?

Carpenter is very likely to play and be a starter for the Rams at WILL. If Barron plays, it'll be because either Free or Columbo are hurt.

Because the Ram's talent level is such that a scrub like Carpenter may win the starting job doesn't mean he is a better or more valuable player than Barron. Barron secures one of Dallas' only weak spots on the roster and all he cost was a soft LBer who would have been cut anyway. I still call it Highway Robbery!!!!!!!!!

I realize most Redskins fans are going to go this way but I think my record shows I'm fairly non biased. If Barron was traded for Carpenter that means teams around the league valued them the same. It was no secret this trade was discussed so if anyone thought Barron was worth anything they had ample time to swoop in and steal him away. Teams just weren't interested in either of these players because they both have BUST written across their foreheads. I laughed at the notion of us trading for Barron too. The fact that I'm valuing a Cowboy over another team's player should prove that I'm not being biased.

Barron is essentially a lazy version of Stephon Heyer. He can play both tackle spots but isn't good at either one. He has 40+ false starts in his career and gave up somewhere around 13 sacks the past two seasons. Only one of those seasons was at LT, meaning he wasn't facing top pass rushers. He was also playing in the NFCW, an entire division that hasn't had a double digit sack guy in the past two seasons. So not only is Barron facing the #2 pass rusher for half of those games but he isn't even in a division with premier players at that position. Now if he is unfortunate enough to start he's going to be dealing with Haynesworth out at DE, Orakpo off the edge, Carter, Tuck, Osi if he bounces back, Trent Cole, etc.

There was never an issue of Barron being miscast or played out of position. He's just a guy that isn't in love with football (true love is basketball) and doesn't want to put the work in.

Carpenter was also overdrafted but he played in 40% of Dallas' defensive snaps. St. Louis wins because they get a player that at least has a chance of taking a step up in production going from a 3-4 to 4-3. 3-4 ILB's are generally thumpers that excel in run support. Carpenter has always been a coverage linebacker, that is why he played in Dallas' nickel packages. It's not a given that Carpenter will be any better as a 4-3 OLB but I think there is a legitimate reason to think he could at least be mediocre there.

On the other hand there isn't a logical reason to think Barron is going to step up his game in Dallas. At best he is going to be a #3 swing guy. That is an important position for depth but we're talking about a starter vs. depth here. I'm on the record before the trade was finalized that I thought Dallas should hold on to Carpenter and if they felt they needed another tackle bring back Flo.

Barron is a BAD player. Carpenter is just below average. Neither are what you're looking for in the first round.

Don't take my word for it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

The Dolphins traded 2007 first-round choice Ted Ginn Jr. to the 49ers for little in return.

Carpenter

BarronMiami seemed anxious to dump him.

The Rams and Cowboys are making similar moves by swapping 2005 first-round tackle Alex Barron for 2006 first-round linebacker Bobby Carpenter. Both players had worn out their welcomes.

The move makes sense for St. Louis on one level because Barron doesn't fit into the team's long-term plans, and he would have left after the 2010 season anyway. Might as well get something in return. Barron should have more value to the Cowboys than he would to the Rams because Dallas has shown an ability to piece together an effective offensive line using unwanted parts. Tackle Marc Colombo, disappointing as a first-round pick in Chicago, became a starter for the Cowboys. Guard Leonard Davis, disappointing as a first-round pick in Arizona, has gone to three Pro Bowls in three seasons since signing with the Cowboys.

What will the Cowboys get out of Barron?

"I think the bigger question is how will an organization like the Rams get more out of Bobby Carpenter than a franchise like the Cowboys were able to?" tre_fizzle responded to the question above.

Good question. I haven't watched Carpenter play much NFL linebacker because Carpenter hasn't been a regular starter. He owns three starts in four NFL seasons.

"I don’t see what St. Louis got out of the trade," Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. said during a phone conversation Monday. "Carpenter has been a complete bust. He feels like a linebacker without a position. He almost looks like a 3-4 outside linebacker. He was a good pass-rusher at Ohio State, but he is too stiff to be a true edge rusher and too stiff to be a 4-3 outside linebacker. I understand he is a former first-round pick, but I haven’t seen anything in the NFL that makes me think he can play linebacker."

Williamson sees this as a "great" trade for the Cowboys.

"I was with the Browns and I was in on interviews with Barron (coming out of college)," Williamson said. "He is not a self-starter. I can see why his act would get old. Getting out of St. Louis could do him a lot of good. Barron has legitimate first-round talent, he plays both tackle spots and the bottom line is he plays a much more demanding position. I just don't think you got anything back for the guy. I think Dallas became a much better football team and St. Louis became a slightly worse football team."

Archived