Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thinking like a fan

gobigred

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I will say this at first i was not happy about the new deals due to the money involved ,but, then I thought I was a fan not an owner. I said over and over I am tired of losing and that I wanted to win. So looking at it in that way, damn right I am happy and to hell with the cap why should I careabout that kind of stuff just win baby, let the people that get paid to worry about that kind of stuff worry. I think we the fans get to caught up with the busniess side of football to much. I was one of those guy, I looked at the past FA bust and was concerned but then I said one of two things will happen this team will be better or we will finally get rid of Cerrato. I believe this is a make or break deal for him it has to be, but for now I am going to enjoy this with the same anticipation I had when Joe Gibbs first cameback. I even had Dallas fan calling me asking how the heck we made these deals. I love it, today is a great day to be a redskin fan.

ENJOY:allhail:

OK we have all seen this before. Go out and pay tons of money to lock up big name guys who come in and fall short of performance expectations. I think many of us have come to expect this. The latest signings of AH and Hall are risky, but then again, so is drafting a player out of college. You never really know what you will get until guys suit up and hit the field. AH and Hall signings could turn out to be a HUGE mistake. BUT, if they come in and produce then Snyder is not an idiot after all. Personally, I get tired of the Skins running out and signing the big names year after year. Eventually, some of these moves will pan out for the better though. So I am OK with these moves. For now. This can change based on how the team does this year and how these 2 guys in particular play. And if anyone right now is livid over these signings, then they too will change their minds should things work out well. It's wait and see for me. Now draft more guys for the OLine and get more for the DLine too. We need more heat than AH alone.

Go SKins.

I woke up this morning and read all the news. I felt surprisingly calm. Not excited. Not particularly optimistic. Not mad. Just kind of peaceful.

I think the reason why is I finally have a personal understanding of what the Skins are about under Dan Snyder. I think I know what I'm rooting for. I'm sharing this with the hope that maybe it will help other fans too.

To start, let me list what the Skins do NOT seem to be about under Dan Snyder. My belief is if you are rooting for the team (i.e. Snyder) to embrace these qualities, you are going to be frustrated and disappointed:

• The Skins are NOT about sticking to a patient, long-term plan.

• The Skins are NOT about "responsible" salary cap management.

• The Skins are NOT about developing prospects to fill major needs because that would require commitment to a system (see point #1).

Here's what I think the Skins ARE about:

• Overpaying for performance based on appearances more than thorough research or football smarts. This explains the general approach to free agency. The thinking is something like this: "That guy is playing great for that other team. That means he's a great player (or coach). If I got him for my team, he'd play great here too!" Basically, this is thinking like a fan. Other teams value players based on how they perform in the context of a system. If they don't think the player will fit into THEIR system, or they believe they can find another player for less money that fits the system just as well, they don't overpay for performance.

• Being active and aggressive. I really believe it kills Dan Snyder to feel like he, and by extension his team, is "not doing anything." ANY action is more comforting to him than inaction. This, of course, can be hit or miss as far as results.

• Vulnerability. Weird concept for football, but Dan Snyder (and by extension his team) is actually a very vulnerable guy. He cares a huge amount. He wants so desperately to win. And he cannot help but wear those emotions transparently. That makes him a target to be taken advantage of by agents, by other teams in trades, by the media, by anyone who wants to make fun of him... I think he knows this, and his defense mechanism is what people perceive as his ego and arrogance.

To me, what it all adds up to is a team that's the football equivalent of George Foreman in the late 1980's. Foreman wasn't the best boxer anymore. He was too old. He was out of shape. But he still had a punch. If he landed one or two, he could beat you. The Skins have a few players with KO power. What I'm rooting for as a Redskins fan is a season when circumstances break just the right way and some of those punches land at just the right time to knock somebody out.

Teams won't hate us like people do the Yankees. In the NFL, the salary cap allows everyone to be on an even playing field. The Redskins just like to use every penny they can while some times like to spend a little more wisely. In MLB, there is no salary cap, so teams like the Pirates, Royals, and Marlins will never be able to compete money wise with the Yankees, Mets, Dodgers, or Red Sox. All the teams in the NFL have the same amount of money to spend unlike MLB teams.

Heck! We might make the Lions look fairly decent.

I can't believe we are celebrating this signing. What a joke! Just wait, till we are in mid season and Haynesworth is at career low stats. I've given him 2 years before we release him until we bring in a new shiny toy.

Vinny Cerrato needs to be fired. Period! What a joke!

'Okay, the 'Skins are only about $3M under the cap AFTER doing a ton of restructuring, yet have reportedly already signed Hall to a $55M 6-year deal, are still looking at re-signing Dockery, are looking at signing Chris Canty, are looking at Ray Willis, are planning to keep Jason Taylor, have restructured the deal for Griffin (which likely means they plan to keep him), have qualified Montgomery and Golston (which likely means they plan to keep them), and yet are still looking to pay $100M over 7 years to Haynesworth?'

No Superbowl for the Skins any time soon.

I see your point. I think there is a semi long-term plan. At least the players we have signed so far are relativley young and both under 30. We have all the pieces in place, except for the o-line, that this team should be able to have some success this year and in the future. I believe this will be a very important draft to see if Vinny and Dan finally get "it" and realize that you can build a team using both the draft and FA. We have used FA so far to fill our needs on defense. If we can sign Dockery and then draft an o-linemen or 2 in the draft that would be huge. But so far I like the direction we are heading

Archived