Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do you really need a head coach?

DCSaints_fan

You must be listening to the sports junkies too.

HAHAHA Yeap me 2!

They make a good point. We need a HC but this team is the laughing stock of the NFL.

I listened to Redskins Radio all day yesterday and everyone from Mike Tirico(Sp) to Riggo bashed the FO for destroying the prestige of the REDSKINS franchise. This used to be a no-brainer. Now we have scrub retreads declining the position.

Snyder should bring back the "College of Coaches" approach the Cubs used in the 60s. At least, it would be interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of_Coaches

The College of Coaches was an unorthodox strategy employed by the Chicago Cubs in 1961 and 1962. After the Cubs finished 60-94 in 1960, their 14th straight second-division finish, Cubs owner P.K. Wrigley announced in December 1960 that the Cubs would use eight coaches as managers, rather than the traditional one-manager approach. Wrigley argued at the time, "Managers are expendable. I believe there should be relief managers just like relief pitchers." He also contended that the manager system led to constant turnover.

The Cubs front office argued that under this system, players would be exposed to the wisdom and experience of eight coaches instead of just one field manager. Four would serve in the minors, while four would serve with the Cubs. Each member would serve as "head coach" before rotating back to the minors. The original "faculty" of the College of Coaches consisted of El Tappe, Goldie Holt, Bobby Adams, Harry Craft, Verlon Walker, Rip Collins, Vedie Himsl and Charlie Grimm.

Couldn't you just have the coordinators run their respective units and have Cerrato/Snyder have the final say on personnel (which they would probably have anyway) ?

Well lets see here, I think you do bring up a very valid point, although most skins fans might consider it a slap in the face. But yeah, Snyder hired his coordinators so he could have everything pretty much in place. I think he was copy catting Jerry Jones move last year, since it worked so well and Dallas ended up the #1 seed with homefield advantage.

The trouble is that none of the top gun coaches would want to coach his team, because they know that they would really only be Snyders puppet. Snyder has his coordinators running the offense, defense and special teams, so now all he really needs is a head cheerleader/motivator/team spokesman type, especially when you consider that Snyder and Cerrato will be picking and choosing the personnel for the most part also.

This is not an ideal situation for a real coach. So, maybe it might not be such a bad idea to go head coachless next year. After all, what responsibilities would this head coach have, I mean really? Snyder and Cerrato made this bed, so maybe they should have to sleep in it too.

The end result of having this team playing without a head coach would probably be the same as it would if it had one. Somebody better wake Dan Snyder up, before his dream turns into a nightmare.

Need a man with final say.

Yup. Let the coordinators run their own operation on each side of the ball. BUT, someone with final say needs to be overseeing the whole thing and making sure it all matches up.

You can't play as aggressively on defense if your offense isn't cohesing and putting up tons of points. You can't play as aggressively on offense if you don't have a defense you're confident can keep the opposition from moving downfield and scoring when you don't convert on 4th down. Your confidence in your special teams determines what move you make on 3rd and 4th down when your in that gray area where you could go for it, kick a FG, or punt.

The coordinators do their job, but making these decisions is the burden of the HC.

Maybe he should just make Blache the HC, and let Gray be the DC. When Blache was in Chicago he was a hot coordinator in line for a HC job. Unfortunately he never got the chance. It would keep stability on the defense, and all the players know him and seem to respect him.

Absolutely not, we need a decision maker, and the last person you want doing that is Snyder. Make no mistake, he would be the head coach. Can you imagine him telling coordinators how to run their sides of the ball? Its so absurd its not even funny. You cannot have a football team, or a sports team of any kind without a head coach.

Make no mistake, he would be the head coach. Can you imagine him telling coordinators how to run their sides of the ball?

I would have to buy stock in Baskin-Robbins if he named himself coach. He'd be buying plenty o' gallons of ice cream.

Archived