Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Todd Collins -- Gone Next Year?

Mania

The more wins we have over quality opponents and the deeper we get into the playoffs, the more likely Todd Collins gets lured by an opposing team to start for them next season as they groom a young quarterback.

Now, this is a good problem to have, as i'd love to ride Todd Collins all the way to the SB. However, I'd really miss the insurance policy of having Collins backing up Jason Campbell next season. Just look at how Peyton Mannings backup performed this evening when Peyton Manning left the game.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Do you feel he will be lured out of Washington?

I don't see any team looking for QB investing in a 37 year old career backup, no matter how amazingly he's played. I hope we keep him, we've certainly seen the power of having a capable backup.

That said, he's been waiting 10 years for a shot as a starter, I wouldn't blame him for leaving if he was offered a starting job. I still think it'd be highly unlikely, though.

Not going to happen.

He's too old and pretty much performs THIS system.

Basically, the Skins is his perfect fit. Won't really do much elsewhere, and I'm pretty sure everyone else knows this.

Thats my thinking. We will resign him to be the super-backup again, and he will get a nice pay raise. Everybody wins!

I think a lot depends on how badly he wants to be a full time starter again and obviously if he wants to learn a new offense at 36. I'm sure the Skins will try to resign him for good money, but if he demands to be the starter or something that could be an issue.

Not going to happen.

He's too old and pretty much performs THIS system.

Basically, the Skins is his perfect fit. Won't really do much elsewhere, and I'm pretty sure everyone else knows this.

That sounds logical but you forget how bad some of the GMs in the NFL are. This wouldn't be the first time a back up QB came in a played well for a few games and then got a big contract from another team starved for good QB play.

Right of the top of my head I can think of:

A.J Feeley and the Dolphins.

Elvis Grbac and the Ravens.

Help me out here i'm drawing a blank but I know there are more.

Trent Green might be a Parcells house cleaning casualty, so I'd like to think we could make a play for him if Collins found a gig elsewhere. Sure, he's got more mileage than Collins, but he could step in almost immediately if it played out that way. Speaking of Parcells, I wonder if he still has Bledsoe on speed dial to come in return the Dolphins to the "salad years" of a pocket passer (i.e. Marino), or if he'll seek out another Quincy Carter. What am I saying, its the Dolphins, who cares?? :laugh: :D:silly:

I don't see any team looking for QB investing in a 37 year old career backup, no matter how amazingly he's played. I hope we keep him, we've certainly seen the power of having a capable backup.

That said, he's been waiting 10 years for a shot as a starter, I wouldn't blame him for leaving if he was offered a starting job. I still think it'd be highly unlikely, though.

Really and what about Vinny T, Brad Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, JEFF GARCIA. How do you figure nobody is going to be out to get this guy?

The more wins we have over quality opponents and the deeper we get into the playoffs, the more likely Todd Collins gets lured by an opposing team to start for them next season as they groom a young quarterback.

Now, this is a good problem to have, as i'd love to ride Todd Collins all the way to the SB. However, I'd really miss the insurance policy of having Collins backing up Jason Campbell next season. Just look at how Peyton Mannings backup performed this evening when Peyton Manning left the game.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Do you feel he will be lured out of Washington?

I personally think this idea that Collins is leaving is just plain stupid. Its also dumb. Its also without merit. Anyone who talks about Collins leaving this team knows VERY little about football in the NFL or the cap situation, etc.

Collins is a product of the Al Saunders system. So was Trent Green. Both QB's need all the working parts of the system to be successful. Trent Green was injured earlier this year in Miami but when he was healthy he was not very good. He had no tight end. He did not have a running game. And he was a "duck out of water" without the Al Saunders system. Miami learned the hard way that you just don't hire 37 year old quarterbacks from one system and expect that they will be an instant success in a new system with unfamiliar working parts.

Fast forward to next spring. Yes everybody wants Todd Collins as a backup QB. But nobody will offer him a multi year deal with a 6 million dollar bonus to start. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. He is coming back to the Redskins, although he will certainly get a raise.

BUT....do look for Mark Brunell to leave after June 1.

Really and what about Vinny T, Brad Johnson, Drew Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, JEFF GARCIA. How do you figure nobody is going to be out to get this guy?
Reading comprehension is your friend...

The only starter out of the aged QB's you listed is Garcia. None of those other QB's will ever be named a starter for a season again. Could Collins draw the same interest as Garcia? Maybe. However, Garcia been alot more productive over the past 10 years than Collins has.

Don't get me wrong, I love Todd and what he's done for us, and I'd like to see us find a way to keep him on board. If he's offered a starting job, then I could see him going elsewhere.

That sounds logical but you forget how bad some of the GMs in the NFL are. This wouldn't be the first time a back up QB came in a played well for a few games and then got a big contract from another team starved for good QB play.

Grbac Started a few years with the chiefs and left as a free agent

Fast forward to next spring. Yes everybody wants Todd Collins as a backup QB. But nobody will offer him a multi year deal with a 6 million dollar bonus to start. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. He is coming back to the Redskins, although he will certainly get a raise.

BUT....do look for Mark Brunell to leave after June 1.

Another possibility is that A Saunders is offered a starting coaching job, and Collins leaves WITH Saunders as a starting QB (credit to Oldfan for thinking of this possibility).

Reading comprehension is your friend...

The only starter out of the aged QB's you listed is Garcia. None of those other QB's will ever be named a starter for a season again. Could Collins draw the same interest as Garcia? Maybe. However, Garcia been alot more productive over the past 10 years than Collins has.

Don't get me wrong, I love Todd and what he's done for us, and I'd like to see us find a way to keep him on board. If he's offered a starting job, then I could see him going elsewhere.

Well bringing up Garcia simply makes my point. Garcia is a system QB who failed in Cleveland because he is a system QB. Now that he is back in the west coast offense with Gruden he is successful. He was successful in Philly because it was a west coast offense. Put him in another system and he would flop.

But Todd Collins is not 34 or 35 years old. He is going to be a 37 year old QB and no other team outside of Kansas City would be close to the Al Saunder system.

No no. Todd Collins is not going anywhere unless somebody very foolish would think that a 37 year old system QB could come in and save their franchise using a totally different system with unfamiliar parts. Not likely to happen since the fools in Miami now have Bill Parcells running the show.

Collins is a product of the Al Saunders system. So was Trent Green. Both QB's need all the working parts of the system to be successful. Trent Green was injured earlier this year in Miami but when he was healthy he was not very good.

I gotta disagree with you.

Trent Green was good in Norv's system also. In fact, he was wanted here.

It is also possible that TC is as talented as Trent Green, if not more.

TC may well be very good in another offensive scheme.

Well bringing up Garcia simply makes my point. Garcia is a system QB who failed in Cleveland because he is a system QB. Now that he is back in the west coast offense with Gruden he is successful. He was successful in Philly because it was a west coast offense. Put him in another system and he would flop.

But Todd Collins is not 34 or 35 years old. He is going to be a 37 year old QB and no other team outside of Kansas City would be close to the Al Saunder system.

No no. Todd Collins is not going anywhere unless somebody very foolish would think that a 37 year old system QB could come in and save their franchise using a totally different system with unfamiliar parts. Not likely to happen since the fools in Miami now have Bill Parcells running the show.

I never responded to your post. In fact, I agree with your first post 100%.

I'm merely stating that if some team for whatever reason decides to offer Todd a starting job, then I wouldn't blame him one bit for taking it. However unlikely it may be.

God I hope not. This is certainly a big topic of debate, but Todd Collins has played so well I think we should resign him and at least allow him to compete for the starting job next year in preseason. He makes better decisions and is more accurate. Jason Campbell is obviously our future and has more potential, but I think Todd has earned that. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Feeley was young (4th year) when he went to the fins.

Grbac had MANY starts, was only in his 8th year (when he signed on board with the ravens) and the previous season threw >4000 yards and 28 TDs.

Collins isn't going anywhere. Sure, he can "test" the market, but he'll just end up straight back here with a pay raise because he proved that he IS the insurance policy to have.

Another possibility is that A Saunders is offered a starting coaching job, and Collins leaves WITH Saunders as a starting QB (credit to Oldfan for thinking of this possibility).

I do not think that will happen, and here;s why. I believe, really believe that this is a team right now. All these guys pull for each other like family. And after Sean;s death, it just seems to me that if somebody left they would be viewed as a traiter and abandoning the family after a tragedy.

I know its a business but this tragedy has bonded these people and I do NOT think or feel that anybody will leave this team because they will be looked at as a person who leaves his friends during their time of need.

I could be wrong but I am sensing this. Maybe its the force or something but I sense it. Time will tell.

I gotta disagree with you.

Trent Green was good in Norv's system also. In fact, he was wanted here.

It is also possible that TC is as talented as Trent Green, if not more.

TC may well be very good in another offensive scheme.

Norv's system is a variation of Joe Gibbs system, in other words it has similarities to Al Saunders system.

I do not think that will happen, and here;s why. I believe, really believe that this is a team right now. All these guys pull for each other like family. And after Sean;s death, it just seems to me that if somebody left they would be viewed as a traiter and abandoning the family after a tragedy.

I know its a business but this tragedy has bonded these people and I do NOT think or feel that anybody will leave this team because they will be looked at as a person who leaves his friends during their time of need.

I could be wrong but I am sensing this. Maybe its the force or something but I sense it. Time will tell.

I understand what you are saying, and I respect your views.

I think if TC is offered a job that pays 3 x as much (or more), he has to take it. I agree he has a responsibility to his teammates, but I also think he has a greater responsibility to his family, to those who have hung in there with him to succeed.

The same goes for Saunders. If he is offered a real, genuine head coaching opportunity, he HAS to take it.

Norv's system is a variation of Joe Gibbs system, in other words it has similarities to Al Saunders system.

I believe Norv's system is closer to the current Dallas's system. Jason Garrett, who runs Dallas's offense, was a backup to Aikman when Norv was there.

Al Saunders' offense is completely different from Gibbs, though they share the commong root and some philosophy of Air Coryell.

I understand what you are saying, and I respect your views.

I think if TC is offered a job that pays 3 x as much (or more), he has to take it. I agree he has a responsibility to his teammates, but I also think he has a greater responsibility to his family, to those who have hung in there with him to succeed.

The same goes for Saunders. If he is offered a real, genuine head coaching opportunity, he HAS to take it.

I have NEVER said Todd Collins would turn down an offer for THREE times the money. However, what money are we talking about. If the Skins give him a 2 year deal with a 2 million dollar bonus and a ONE million dollar salary, then somebody has to offer a SIX million dollar bonus plus a starting guarantee.

That, I do not see happening with a 37 year old QB simply because established teams, playoff team's needs are different from losing teams starting over. Miami only gave Trent Green a chance because they thought they were a playoff team. I can't think of anyone except Chicago who is a playoff caliber team just in need of a QB and I don;t think Todd fits that team very well. He is actually too Rex Grossman like as far as his throwing arm. I think Chicago wants a gunslinger who can compete with Farve.

Just trust me. Todd will not be leaving this team and Snyder will not let him leave....unless..unless...somebody is insane and offers him a 3 year deal for 12 million dollars. AT 37 years of age? Not likely.

Archived