Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attn: Skins Naysayers...Let's Make A Bet

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Ok, all the Skins fans who tend to qualify as naysayers, I got a bet for you...

Let's make a bet concerning the defense. I will bet that all three of the following will have occurred at the end of the 2007 season:

1) The Skins defense will rank in the top 15...

2) The Skins defense will have 35+ sacks...

3) The Skins defense will have a +7 turnover ratio....

If you think those milestones are too easily achieved, consider that most (if not all) of the naysayers who are Skins fans continuously say the following things:

"The d-line is the worst in NFL history, can't generate a pass rush or stop the run, is too old and is injury prone...Fletcher is old, Washington has injury issues and Marshall is nothing more than a mediocre undrafted FA who gets run over by the rb's he's supposed to be tackling...Rogers is a bust who can't cover and gives 20 yard cushions, Springs hasn't played a full season since 2001, Taylor is pissed off about his contract and Landry was a wasted pick to begin with..."

Now let's face it...the defensive unit the naysayers constantly describe could NEVER reach any of the goals I outlined in the bet lol....so this bet should be a sure thing in their eyes.

So what do you say? Let's bet something worthwhile with me picking that the defense will succeed in those three areas, and you picking that they will not. Let's not bet money, though, because:

- I'm broke lol...

and...

- I'm not sure the ES mods would approve of monetary bets on this scale anyway...

We have until the first game of the season to determine the wager. Also, the only thing that invalidates the bet would be a major injury to one of the key players on defense. Not talking about normal injuries that occur due to age and wear & tear...that's one of the naysayers' complaints (age and injury) so I'm willing to allow for them to happen. Basically the Injury Rule is: if one of a handful of key defensive players has a significant enough injury to have the placed on IR before week 13 (before game 12), then the bet is called off. All other injuries have no effect on the bet.

So who's willing to put their sig lines, their thread creating abilities or their pride on the line to back up their pessimism? lol... :cool:

So far...

Optimists:

Califan007

skinthemboys

glikster04

SKINtil8tin

dfos81

SkinsManNJ

RedskinsSuperBowl41

sknsrbck26

illone

CPortJGibbs89

GroundNPound

monkforhall

jasonpike00

Koolblue13

Passizle

JMUGator19

buenosdiaz

jsharrin55

thesubmittedone

Reic

CalSkinsFan

Naysayers:

Pool Shark

SantanaClaus89

G.A.C.O.L.B.*

SnyderMustGo

Mass_SkinsFan

Not a naysayer, but betting with them anyway:

bschurm

THEface

MeastoftheEast

What do you mean?

that's too easy an out. injuries happen all the time. you're hedging. either the defense makes your markers or it doesn't. those numbers are average numbers. the defense should hit those markers based on solid play...period.

that's too easy an out. injuries happen all the time. you're hedging. either the defense makes your markers or it doesn't. those numbers are average numbers. the defense should hit those markers based on solid play...period.

No, I said "serious" injury, and that the normal injuries due to wear and tear would not invalidate the bet as I was allowing the naysayers to have them. In other words, a broken hand or broken leg invalidates the bet, but pulled hamstrings, bad knees, groin pulls, etc...those do not.

Besides, the naysayers are NOT saying that if everyone remains healthy the defense will do well...they're saying even IF everyone stays healthy the defense will still suck donkey balls. So I'm actually giving them some leeway...

haha how about this....injury is not a factor..a team is a team..they will earn the stats as a team...losers get "the boards beyatch" avatar for 1 year starting the end of the regular season (when the stats are final)..this should get interesting

The naysayers, if they stick by their past words, would not need it because injuries--other than the natural ones due to old age and wear and tear--would not be the reason they feel the Skins defense would do so poorly. Not to mention that I need the defense to meet all three goals to win, they just need the defense to miss ONE of the goals to win. So the deck is already stacked in their favor...

btw...and I'm not being argumentative here....what does +7 turnover ratio mean? I always thought +/- turnover ratio was a team metric.

Meaning, the defense will have 7 or more turnovers than the offense. Considering how putrid our defensive turnover stats were last season, it keeps getting batted around as yet another reason naysayers feel the defense will stink it up the same this year as they did last year. So, unless the Skins' offense only has three turnovers, I'm betting that the defense will improve substantially in the turnover department lol :)

No, I said "serious" injury, and that the normal injuries due to wear and tear would not invalidate the bet as I was allowing the naysayers to have them. In other words, a broken hand or broken leg invalidates the bet, but pulled hamstrings, bad knees, groin pulls, etc...those do not.

Besides, the naysayers are NOT saying that if everyone remains healthy the defense will do well...they're saying even IF everyone stays healthy the defense will still suck donkey balls. So I'm actually giving them some leeway...

the concept remains the same. you're no longer betting on the defense but certain players. sooo...any serious injury to any starter and the bet's off? hmmmmmm....speaking of odds....not to mention defining "serious".

sucker bet!!!!!!!!! the illogical positivists will have to do better!

the concept remains the same. you're no longer betting on the defense but certain players. sooo...any serious injury to any starter and the bet's off? hmmmmmm....speaking of odds....not to mention defining "serious".

sucker bet!!!!!!!!! the illogical positivists will have to do better!

I agree, injury should not be a factor. its a team sport. If their isnt a competent back up then that is a TEAM problem... I am in if the bet is straight up.

Archived