Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Jesse Lumsden has a good game this Saturday...ramifications are? (merged)

If Jesse Lumsden plays and has a good game against New England this Saturday, I think that Ladell Betts might be traded. What's a good game? Oh something like playing with and against the 1st stringers and having 10 carries for 50-60 yards against their 1st team.

If Lumsden only has a mediocre or poor game, then I think he probably will be cut later and then be resigned to the practice squad.

I doubt 4 RB's will make the final roster like last year -- Portis, Betts, Cartwright and Broughton (who was mostly inactive on game day).

The Redskins now have 4 quality RB's - Portis, Betts, Duckett and Lumsden, plus two quality FB's - Sellers and Cartwright. So I can't see the Redskins keeping more than a total of 5 RB's. Even as it is, I don't see Broughton and White making the final roster, although I think Broughton still has potential and hope he winds up on the practice squad.

I'm also not so sure the Redskins can resign BOTH Betts and Duckett for 2007, who are in the last years of their contracts. I have doubts that either one wants to be the designated #3 back, although enough money on the table always does wonders.

I like Betts but I doubt he could hold up physically as a starter over a 16 game schedule. He has been too injury prone during his stay here, so if we lose him next year to free agency, I would rather retain Duckett.

What do you guys think? :munchout:

Duckett is quite an investment at this point. By the way are we to assume that Duckett's last contract will be voided? What if he plays a lot this year? Maybe the 2007 year will not be voidable. If Duckett was going to be around, then Betts being traded seemed more likely. But if the contract situation is the same, I don't know why you'd get Duckett, and then trade Betts. Unless one really thinks Duckett is a lot better or perhaps less of an injury risk.

Your scenario seems plausible. I just don't know how much Lumsden really figures into this equation. 1 preseason game will tell the tale? I haven't seen enough to call him a quality back.

Rock seems a better fit at tailback.

Lumsden is done. He didn't get into last week's game until the final minutes, and that shows you how highly the coaches think of him.

I doubt he'll play until the 4th quarter this week, and then he'll get his walking papers.

The guy pushed out here isn't Betts or Cartwright, it's Broughton.

Duckett is quite an investment at this point. By the way are we to assume that Duckett's last contract will be voided? What if he plays a lot this year? Maybe the 2007 year will not be voidable. If Duckett was going to be around, then Betts being traded seemed more likely. But if the contract situation is the same, I don't know why you'd get Duckett, and then trade Betts. Unless one really thinks Duckett is a lot better or perhaps less of an injury risk.

Your scenario seems plausible. I just don't know how much Lumsden really figures into this equation. 1 preseason game will tell the tale? I haven't seen enough to call him a quality back.

Rock seems a better fit at tailback.

According to NFLPA.org, Duckett is signed for both 2006 and 2007. But several newspapers have indicated that Duckett is in the last year of his contract. Do they know something we don't? Or did Duckett meet some prior incentives that void the 2007 year of the contract? :whoknows:

As for Lumsden, I'm calling him a quality back at this point, only because Joe Gibbs has praised him this summer. And he looked good in the Baltimore scrimmage and had 1 carry against the NY Jets for 6 yards. Is he a proven quality NFL back? Not yet. But with a real good game against New England and later Baltimore, he could make it hard for the Redskins to cut him. This could be a good problem to have. :D

Lumsden is done. He didn't get into last week's game until the final minutes, and that shows you how highly the coaches think of him.

I doubt he'll play until the 4th quarter this week, and then he'll get his walking papers.

The guy pushed out here isn't Betts or Cartwright, it's Broughton.

You could be right of course, but I have a hunch that with Betts nicked, that Lumsden might play quite a bit with the regulars this Saturday. Broughton got his chance against the NY Jets and didn't deliver, although I still think he has enough potential to make the practice squad. With respect to Cartwright, the coaches already know what he can do. :)

You could be right of course, but I have a hunch that with Betts nicked, that Lumsden might play quite a bit with the regulars this Saturday. Broughton got his chance against the NY Jets and didn't deliver, although I still think he has enough potential to make the practice squad. With respect to Cartwright, the coaches already know what he can do. :)

Portis won't play, and you're right that Betts might not. Duckett will get some carries though, as will Cartwright, and then Broughton will get a big look I think. Broughton is like a coaches pet, and they'll want to give him every opportunity.

Then Lumsden. Even if Betts doesn't play, he's behind 3 other guys.

There is absolutely no chance that the great white hope makes the team at this point. Perhaps the practice squad but I'm not sure he would want that.

I'd say even practice squad is a longshot. With the trade for Duckett it looks like we're keeping 4 tailbacks. Broughton is probably a practice squader now. Wouldn't make sense to keep 2 tailbacks on the psquad when you have 4 on the active roster.

If he was offered practice squad though, I'm sure he'd take it. Better than being unemployed.

I was hoping Manuel would get a real shot to make the team, since he's the only person who could concievably fill Mike Sellers' role if he were to get hurt. But I can't see any way we can keep 4 tailbacks and two fullbacks. We'd probably have to keep only 2 tight ends to do that, and given the amount of 2 TE formations, that'd be a very risky thing to do.

Cuts can't come fast enough for me.

Clear the dead wood and lets see who will be on the roster this year.

Not to be hard but, enough of the project runningbacks.

Now we have some guys that have proven that they can carry the ball lets move on.

Shake their hand and wish them well.

JMHO

I still think Lumsden has a shot to make the team, if he has a good showing in the last two preseason games. He probably won't get much of a chance against New England, unless he plays with the regulars.

Just 3 weeks ago Joe Gibbs was praising Lumsden and then he had a hip flexor problem which kept him out of practice about a week. From the article below it seems to me that he can also play special teams.

I wonder if the Skins can stash him on Injured Reserve? :laugh:

I hope the kid makes it with us. :cry: He might be a good replacement in 2007 for Betts, if Betts doesn't resign with us.

Lumsden Makes Impression In Scrimmage

By Gary Fitzgerald - Redskins.com

August 5, 2006

Jesse Lumsden took a handoff and broke to the right. Solid blocking up front allowed Lumsen to cut through the line of scrimmage. He slipped through a tackle and ran into the end zone for a 12-yard touchdown run. Lumsden, a first-year player hoping to earn a roster spot with the Redskins, has opened eyes during training camp.

Joe Gibbs has certainly taken notice.

"In every single work day, there hasn't been a day where we have looked at the film and didn't say, 'This guy is quick,'" Gibbs said. "[special teams coordinator] Danny Smith likes him on special teams. He's very smart. We'll give him some key roles which I think he could fill. "There hasn't been a practice where he hasn't done something to catch somebody's eye, so I'd say he is one of the guys we're really looking at. He's a promising young guy and he deserves some work."

Lumsden knows he has made an impression, but he doesn't want to lose sight of his goal to make the 53-man roster. It's a challenge, to be sure. The Redskins have strong depth at running back, with veterans Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright ahead of him. "I'm just going to keep working hard," he said. "Hopefully that'll take me in the right direction."

Lumsden is a 6-2, 219-pound running back who has shown solid speed, strong push running into piles and an ability to break tackles. In the scrimmage, Lumsden had six carries for 32 yards. During 7-on-7 work, he caught a screen pass with blockers in front and weaved his way down the sideline for a long gain. The play was called back due to a holding call, however. Lumsden's close friend, running back Kerry Carter, is also competing for a roster spot. Lumsden and Carter both hail from Canada and were members of the Seattle Seahawks training camp roster in 2005. Carter also impressed in the scrimmage, logging 20 yards rushing on three carries. He also caught two passes for 14 yards.

Lumsden has spent a great deal of time working on his special teams skills this preseason. For now, he is contributing on punt and kickoff coverage units. In the scrimmage, Lumsden believes he may have learned more playing special teams than he did on the offensive side of the ball. "It gives you a chance to get downfield and see how things are going to start setting up and how things are going to start developing," he said. "The scrimmage idea is great. You get a little tired of hitting your own teammates [in practice]. You get a chance to get pumped up and hit some other people. You get a lot of positives out of it."

Wasn't the team trying to re-sign Betts? If he's balking, then all of this makes sense, and I'd expect him to be traded.

I think Rock is in the same place as last year, battling it out with whomever comes in the door. If Lumsden plays well on ST, he could stick. If Betts gets traded, he does stick.

Seriously though, why are we still so enamoured with Lumsden? The way he gets talked about, you'd think that his supporters would be SUPER pissed if he didn't start right away. In the VERY best situation, he'd be the number three back and you'd hardly see him play. And when he DID, it would be against first team defenses.

Because as that wise old coach George Allen used to say: "Because of injuries, you can never have enough good running backs." Besides, Lumsden might make a good replacement for Betts in 2007, if Betts doesn't resign. :)

As much as I hate to admit it, Lumsden is done on this team. With Duckett in the mix, TJ fills the role Jesse was brought in to try out for.

Jesse is not a 3rd down back but becasue of his size, thats what he is viewed as, which is a shame.

My only hope now is that they cut jesse quick enough so he can play in the labour day game in Hamilton.

For Jesse's sake, I hope he stays in the CFL for at least a full season, or maybe 2 before he tries the NFL again.

Going to an NFL camp then coming back to the CFL for 6 or so games really wont help his career. I think if puts together a full season in the CFL, he will be able to showcase what he has and could even lead the Pass happy CFL in rushing.

Good luck Jesse, I'll be cheering for you wherever you end up.:point2sky

Seriously though, why are we still so enamoured with Lumsden? The way he gets talked about, you'd think that his supporters would be SUPER pissed if he didn't start right away. In the VERY best situation, he'd be the number three back and you'd hardly see him play. And when he DID, it would be against first team defenses.

Because as that wise old coach George Allen used to say: "Because of injuries, you can never have enough good running backs." Besides, Lumsden might make a good replacement for Betts in 2007, if Betts doesn't resign. :)

And he's from Canada and my favorite program used to be "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon and his dog Spot." Or was the dog named Rinny Tin Tink? :paranoid:

Die Hard who is from Canada would know, but he's probably out hunting woodpeckers again. :paranoid:

Archived