Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PhillyNews: RECEIVERS NEED TO GET A GRIP

tr1

You won't go far in this league without WRs and a grinding RB. That's not to say McNabb and Westbrook aren't dangerous...it just means you won't be consistent.

By LES BOWEN

bowenl@phillynews.com

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/sports/football/nfl/philadelphia_eagles/15302353.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

BALTIMORE - Donovan McNabb, standing in the pocket, patting the ball and looking, looking, looking...

Unless the Eagles do something to improve their corps of wideouts, you might see a lot of that this season. You saw more than a little of it last night, in the half McNabb and the first-team offense played against the Baltimore Ravens, whose reserves pummeled the Birds' reserves in the second half for a 20-10 preseason victory at M & T Bank Stadium.

McNabb completed six of 10 passes for 97 yards and a touchdown, but his only completion to a wide receiver went for 5 yards, to Reggie Brown. He hit tight end L.J. Smith twice over the middle, for 32 yards. Reno Mahe caught a couple of dumps, for 12 yards and a TD. The Birds' big play was a screen to Correll Buckhalter that pressure turned into a shovel pass, which Buckhalter took for 48 yards to the Ravens' 1. Kudos to Buck, playing in his first game in 2 years, but he probably won't provide much of a foundation for the Eagles' passing game.

Against the best secondary they have faced in three preseason games, the Birds' wide receivers got no separation. McNabb had decent protection much of the time, but he obviously wasn't seeing what he wanted to see downfield. Hank Baskett, the rookie who has become the people's choice, caught no passes.

Todd Pinkston was out again with those sore Achilles' tendons. Jabar Gaffney, who was billed as a solid offseason acquisition, didn't get much playing time until the second half and didn't catch a pass until the fourth quarter (he finished with four catches for 37 yards). Greg Lewis didn't play until the second half and dropped a Koy Detmer pass when he took a hard hit. Darnerien McCants drew a big Ravens penalty on the first snap and was never heard from again.

When McNabb was in, the Birds went no-huddle a lot, which might limit the long-developing play options, especially in a preseason game. And the Eagles did score (a field goal) on their opening drive, for the third successive game.

McNabb called the first-drive scores "kind of a reward" for all the hard work the Eagles have done in training camp. Overall, he liked the way the no-huddle went.

"It was good to see that we were able to move the ball, spread the ball around a little," McNabb said.

Eagles coach Andy Reid said not getting the ball to the wideouts wasn't a big deal.

The Ravens were blitzing a lot so it was hard to tell if the WRs were just that bad. On the play where McNabb tried to hit Baskett Hank didn't have any seperation at all and thats a huge concern. Thats always the biggest concern with the Eagles WRs.. no god damn seperation. I thought the team overall played very sloppy. If it wasn't for a lucky PI call on the first drive there's no score. The only bright spot last night was Buckhalters huge run. The defense played respectably playing their signature "bend don't break" style.

But one thing that keeps me calm is the fact that I know it's the preseason. I'm not getting too excited over this ****. Lets see what happens Week 1 against the Texans and go from there.

Good benchmark :laugh:

It's a great benchmark. Take things one week at a time. Thats all I'm saying. You Redskin fans are some ****y mother****ers. But hey if thats your thing then it's cool. But I'm not even looking pass the ****ing Texans. Reid generally starts out slow during the season (which will not be a good thing concerning this schedule)

The Eagles will be fine. The Cowboys will be fine. The Giants will be fine. The Skins will be fine.

the posts of people making conclussions from preseason games are pretty darn comical. It is pretty bad guys. Relax a little. All four teams in the NFC East can either win the division or come in last. All four are positioned pretty well to start the season.

There are some posters who are pretty damn silly....and this is just from meaningless preseason games. As a Cowboy fan, I would like to see my team win their preseason games. Although my outlook on the season won't change if they win 30-0 or lose 30-0.

It's a great benchmark. Take things one week at a time. Thats all I'm saying. You Redskin fans are some ****y mother****ers. But hey if thats your thing then it's cool. But I'm not even looking pass the ****ing Texans. Reid generally starts out slow during the season (which will not be a good thing concerning this schedule)

Calm Down! I believe that we should just sit back and let the season play out. In my mind, until the Eagles beat the Redskins this season, nothing from the previous years that the team accomplished means jack to some of theirs fans. Let them live in their moment of last season.....if they want to say we suck, then that's cool with me. The regular season hasn't started yet so let them stick their collective chests out and be proud of last season what might be this season.....if things go the way that they seem as if they might, this might be the only time they can gloat.......give my :2cents:

Easy, big fella. Check the colors on your screen again.

Perhaps you've forgotten you're an adopted son here? :)

The Eagles will be fine. The Cowboys will be fine. The Giants will be fine. The Skins will be fine.

the posts of people making conclussions from preseason games are pretty darn comical. It is pretty bad guys. Relax a little. All four teams in the NFC East can either win the division or come in last. All four are positioned pretty well to start the season.

There are some posters who are pretty damn silly....and this is just from meaningless preseason games. As a Cowboy fan, I would like to see my team win their preseason games. Although my outlook on the season won't change if they win 30-0 or lose 30-0.

Exactly.

Yeah, its as if they completely forget putting up a 3 spot on the Bungles. :laugh:

Archived