Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some Eagles Q&A (No, not T&A)

tr1

I'm thinking Gaffney and Pinkston as starting WRs for the birds. Gaffney has the best hands of the lot. But you know, the more I look at the birds, the more I think they have a lot of issues. Their O-Line may be as bad as Dallas'.

Granted, McNabb is better with less, but if he's running for his life a lot, it's gonna be another long season for him.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15070668.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Q & A

By Les Bowen

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

1. How soon will we know whether last season was an aberration or the start of a long decline?

A: Obviously, we'll have some idea early in the season, particularly if things go badly, but assuming a decent start against teams like the Texans and 49ers, there's a good chance we won't know for sure whether the Birds are back in the saddle until after the Nov. 5 bye. This time the bye comes at exactly the halfway point for the Eagles. Six of the eight second-half games are within the conference, and of those final eight opponents, only one (Tennessee, at the Linc, Nov. 19) isn't projected as a contender. It's very possible the fate of the season will ride on three straight NFC East road games, Dec. 10 to 25, at Washington, at the Giants and at Dallas.

2. Were Donovan McNabb's problems in 2005 purely physical? And is he OK now?

A:This, we should know fairly quickly. McNabb will either look solid and confident, will go back to making sound decisions with the ball, or he won't. A couple of really strong games early ought to be enough to get fans (and any teammates who might harbor secret doubts) back on board with No. 5. Of course, a couple of bad games early could have the exact opposite effect. Coming into camp, most signs from McNabb are positive. He seemed to be in great shape in minicamp, and was saying the right things.

3. What was the most underrated offseason move?

A:The hiring of Pete Jenkins as defensive line coach. The d-line was a mess last season, and had fewer injury excuses than the rest of the team. Sacks declined from 47 to 29, the team's lowest total since 1978. The Eagles were pushed around pretty regularly down the stretch. Jenkins is known as a teacher, for a line that counts first-round defensive tackles from the past two drafts among its most significant assets. He also has been helping defensive end Jevon Kearse expand his repertoire.

4. What was the biggest offseason move that didn't get made?

A:Well, the Eagles thought they were going to sign free-agent center LeCharles Bentley, but losing him to Cleveland probably wasn't a fatal blow to what looks like a deep, young offensive line. Potentially more significant was the Eagles' failed attempt to trade for wide receiver Javon Walker. The Birds weren't that impressed with the free-agent receivers available, but they were willing to trade a second-round pick for Walker, who should recover from knee surgery to become a difference-making, big-play wideout again. The Broncos had a higher pick to send the Packers, though, so Walker is in Denver and the Eagles will cross their fingers with a group of possession receivers who seem to lack explosiveness, with the possible exception of second-year man Reggie Brown.

5. The Eagles didn't get a star wideout to replace Terrell Owens. What chance is there for a strong passing game?

A:Other than a breakout, Pro Bowl year from Brown, fans' most reasonable hopes here might lie with Brian Westbrook being flanked wide quite a bit, and with an unheralded acquisition, ex-Bengals tight end Matt Schobel. Schobel didn't get the ball much in Cincinnati's offense, but he's a big (6-5) target who showed great hands in minicamp. With Schobel and L.J. Smith, the Eagles could get 100 receptions from their tight ends, which could take a lot of pressure off the wideouts.

6. Can we really expect much from Andy Reid's pledge to run the ball more this season?

A:Reid would like to get back to somewhere around 60 percent passing and 40 percent running. Last year's numbers were skewed at least partly by the Eagles being behind so much. The X-factor here is Ryan Moats, who seems to have a much better grasp of the offense as he prepares for his second season. It might not be farfetched to envision Westbrook primarily as a receiver and Moats shouldering much more of the running load, perhaps with a cameo here and there from Bruce Perry.

Correll Buckhalter is working hard to come back from his third knee injury, but the Eagles don't seem to see him as a significant contributor this season. No, the Eagles have not added a big back and no, they will not run to set up the pass.

7. If, 5 weeks into the season, the Birds are 4-1 but the lone loss is Oct. 8 at the Linc against Terrell Owens and the Cowboys, will fans be OK with that?

A:Ah, no. Not hardly.

8. Will any of the rookies have an impact?

A:First-round defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley plays a comparatively simple position in Jim Johnson's defense; last year's top pick, defensive tackle Mike Patterson, was able to contribute right away. Second-round offensive tackle Winston Justice is a Tra Thomas tweak or twinge away from being a starter. Camp will be crucial to defensive end-turned-linebacker Chris Gocong, drafted in the third round. Fourth-round wideout Jason Avant probably will play special teams and seems to have decent hands. Fifth-round kick returner and wideout Jeremy Bloom has to show he's healthy and in football shape before any role is projected.

9. What are the key position battles?

A:Jamaal Jackson vs. Hank Fraley at center might be the most significant. Teams have been bringing pressure right up the middle against the Eagles with strong success. Fraley, who is coming off shoulder surgery, has the experience and savvy, Jackson has better size and quickness.

At strongside linebacker, Dhani Jones must hold off Greg Richmond and Gocong. The job definitely seems to be Jones' to lose. The plan seems to be to use both Shawn Barber and second-year man Matt McCoy on the weakside; McCoy didn't establish much as a second-round rookie last season.

The wideouts need sorting. If Todd Pinkston comes back strong from Achilles' surgery, he will start alongside Brown, and Jabar Gaffney will joust with Greg Lewis and Avant for the slot role. If Pinkston isn't 100 percent, it's unclear who moves up.

Todd Herremans, moving over from tackle, is the favorite to hold off Adrien Clarke and rookie Max Jean-Gilles at left guard.

I'm thinking Gaffney and Pinkston as starting WRs for the birds.
In your first line you pretty much negate the possibility of intelligent thought. I don't think Reggie Brown will be a great #1, but he is the only one GUARANTEED to be starting. For now, Pinkston is #2.

A:This, we should know fairly quickly. McNabb will either look solid and confident, will go back to making sound decisions with the ball, or he won't. A couple of really strong games early ought to be enough to get fans (and any teammates who might harbor secret doubts) back on board with No. 5. Of course, a couple of bad games early could have the exact opposite effect. Coming into camp, most signs from McNabb are positive. He seemed to be in great shape in minicamp, and was saying the right things.

Translation: "I have no idea but I need to fill up a column so I'm going to stretch my answer to 150 words."

Ok dude.. i gotta know. Why do you spend so much time talking about how much the eagles suck? I mean i dont like them either, but it kind of gets aggrivating seeing the same thing up here in the around the nfl forum.

you: eagles suck! here is a million reasons why they are doomed.

response from every other eagles fan: that is yesterdays news you homer. and you are completely wrong.

Ok dude.. i gotta know. Why do you spend so much time talking about how much the eagles suck? I mean i dont like them either' date=' but it kind of gets aggrivating seeing the same thing up here in the around the nfl forum.

response from every other eagles fan: that is yesterdays news you homer. and you are completely wrong.[/quote']

:laugh:

It was pretty funny reading this one. Don't worry. Eagles training camp starts up soon (tomorrow to be exact). Lots of NEW AND FRESH material for tr1.

In your first line you pretty much negate the possibility of intelligent thought. I don't think Reggie Brown will be a great #1, but he is the only one GUARANTEED to be starting. For now, Pinkston is #2.

Gaffney has better hands than Brown. Sorry, but McNabb is gonna prefer to throw to someone who hangs onto the ball.

Ok dude.. i gotta know. Why do you spend so much time talking about how much the eagles suck? I mean i dont like them either' date=' but it kind of gets aggrivating seeing the same thing up here in the around the nfl forum.

response from every other eagles fan: that is yesterdays news you homer. and you are completely wrong.[/quote']

Thanks for your input!

HTTR!

Thanks for your input!

HTTR!

Hey im not knockin ya. :silly: I agree with most that you say, I just wish you would mix it up a bit. Gotta catch 'em off guard. A little complement here and there. Then when they least expect it, blam...

:laugh: ( i had a point somewhere in there, but im completely out of it... so i dunno if that made any sense.) eh ... here we go :eaglesuck

I'm thinking Gaffney and Pinkston as starting WRs for the birds. Gaffney has the best hands of the lot. But you know, the more I look at the birds, the more I think they have a lot of issues. Their O-Line may be as bad as Dallas'.

Granted, McNabb is better with less, but if he's running for his life a lot, it's gonna be another long season for him.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15070668.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Q & A

By Les Bowen

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

1. How soon will we know whether last season was an aberration or the start of a long decline?

A: Obviously, we'll have some idea early in the season, particularly if things go badly, but assuming a decent start against teams like the Texans and 49ers, there's a good chance we won't know for sure whether the Birds are back in the saddle until after the Nov. 5 bye. This time the bye comes at exactly the halfway point for the Eagles. Six of the eight second-half games are within the conference, and of those final eight opponents, only one (Tennessee, at the Linc, Nov. 19) isn't projected as a contender. It's very possible the fate of the season will ride on three straight NFC East road games, Dec. 10 to 25, at Washington, at the Giants and at Dallas.

3. What was the most underrated offseason move?

A:The hiring of Pete Jenkins as defensive line coach. The d-line was a mess last season, and had fewer injury excuses than the rest of the team. Sacks declined from 47 to 29, the team's lowest total since 1978. The Eagles were pushed around pretty regularly down the stretch. Jenkins is known as a teacher, for a line that counts first-round defensive tackles from the past two drafts among its most significant assets. He also has been helping defensive end Jevon Kearse expand his repertoire.

4. What was the biggest offseason move that didn't get made?

A:Well, the Eagles thought they were going to sign free-agent center LeCharles Bentley, but losing him to Cleveland probably wasn't a fatal blow to what looks like a deep, young offensive line. Potentially more significant was the Eagles' failed attempt to trade for wide receiver Javon Walker. The Birds weren't that impressed with the free-agent receivers available, but they were willing to trade a second-round pick for Walker, who should recover from knee surgery to become a difference-making, big-play wideout again. The Broncos had a higher pick to send the Packers, though, so Walker is in Denver and the Eagles will cross their fingers with a group of possession receivers who seem to lack explosiveness, with the possible exception of second-year man Reggie Brown.

5. The Eagles didn't get a star wideout to replace Terrell Owens. What chance is there for a strong passing game?

A:Other than a breakout, Pro Bowl year from Brown, fans' most reasonable hopes here might lie with Brian Westbrook being flanked wide quite a bit, and with an unheralded acquisition, ex-Bengals tight end Matt Schobel. Schobel didn't get the ball much in Cincinnati's offense, but he's a big (6-5) target who showed great hands in minicamp. With Schobel and L.J. Smith, the Eagles could get 100 receptions from their tight ends, which could take a lot of pressure off the wideouts.

6. Can we really expect much from Andy Reid's pledge to run the ball more this season?

A:Reid would like to get back to somewhere around 60 percent passing and 40 percent running. Last year's numbers were skewed at least partly by the Eagles being behind so much. The X-factor here is Ryan Moats, who seems to have a much better grasp of the offense as he prepares for his second season. It might not be farfetched to envision Westbrook primarily as a receiver and Moats shouldering much more of the running load, perhaps with a cameo here and there from Bruce Perry.

Correll Buckhalter is working hard to come back from his third knee injury, but the Eagles don't seem to see him as a significant contributor this season. No, the Eagles have not added a big back and no, they will not run to set up the pass.

7. If, 5 weeks into the season, the Birds are 4-1 but the lone loss is Oct. 8 at the Linc against Terrell Owens and the Cowboys, will fans be OK with that?

A:Ah, no. Not hardly.

8. Will any of the rookies have an impact?

A:First-round defensive tackle Brodrick Bunkley plays a comparatively simple position in Jim Johnson's defense; last year's top pick, defensive tackle Mike Patterson, was able to contribute right away. Second-round offensive tackle Winston Justice is a Tra Thomas tweak or twinge away from being a starter. Camp will be crucial to defensive end-turned-linebacker Chris Gocong, drafted in the third round. Fourth-round wideout Jason Avant probably will play special teams and seems to have decent hands. Fifth-round kick returner and wideout Jeremy Bloom has to show he's healthy and in football shape before any role is projected.

9. What are the key position battles?

A:Jamaal Jackson vs. Hank Fraley at center might be the most significant. Teams have been bringing pressure right up the middle against the Eagles with strong success. Fraley, who is coming off shoulder surgery, has the experience and savvy, Jackson has better size and quickness.

At strongside linebacker, Dhani Jones must hold off Greg Richmond and Gocong. The job definitely seems to be Jones' to lose. The plan seems to be to use both Shawn Barber and second-year man Matt McCoy on the weakside; McCoy didn't establish much as a second-round rookie last season.

The wideouts need sorting. If Todd Pinkston comes back strong from Achilles' surgery, he will start alongside Brown, and Jabar Gaffney will joust with Greg Lewis and Avant for the slot role. If Pinkston isn't 100 percent, it's unclear who moves up.

Todd Herremans, moving over from tackle, is the favorite to hold off Adrien Clarke and rookie Max Jean-Gilles at left guard.

This is very interesting and informative !!! :)

this is not an eagles forum you losers. Go to philly.com please.

You do realize that this thread was started by a Skin's fan and that all but one post before mine were done by Skin's fans so you are calling your brother Skin's fans losers and telling them to post at Philly.com......

You do realize that this thread was started by a Skin's fan and that all but one post before mine were done by Skin's fans so you are calling your brother Skin's fans losers and telling them to post at Philly.com......

Well put! :applause:

I spit my coffee out with this one.

Seriously, that article is fluff. Teammates who might harbor secret doubts? Does he just make stuff up and print it?

That position battle is actually legit. It's not a knock on Jones, it's just what's happening.

That position battle is actually legit. It's not a knock on Jones, it's just what's happening.

You are right about the position battle. Dahani Bow tie sucks on the strong side.

I spit my coffee out because it said Richmond battling for the starting position, which I see happening, well never.

If Matt McKoy doesn't have a leg up on that position battle, then he truly is a busted pick.

You are right about the position battle. Dahani Bow tie sucks on the strong side.

I spit my coffee out because it said Richmond battling for the starting position, which I see happening, well never.

If Matt McKoy doesn't have a leg up on that position battle, then he truly is a busted pick.

Come on Dock....McCoy is listed on the Eagle's depth chart as the starting WIL with Barber replacing him in the nickle package. Whether it's the air guitar meistro or Richmond at SAM they are just keeping it warm until Gogong gets the hang of it......At least that's the plan. So while you're having your football sense tuned up in the shop maybe you can have them rotate your Eagle's depth chart.

I gotta agree... Greg Richmond starting at LB is pretty funny. And whoever said that was not a knock on Dhani Jones was wrong... that is a HUGE knock on Jones

Why would it be funny for Richmond to start at LBer? Weren't Pierce and Marshall undrafted? Richmond was a pretty good undersized DE in college and has been an Eagle for 2 years so he knows the system which for a LBer is a major part of the battle.

Come on Dock....McCoy is listed on the Eagle's depth chart as the starting WIL with Barber replacing him in the nickle package. Whether it's the air guitar meistro or Richmond at SAM they are just keeping it warm until Gogong gets the hang of it......At least that's the plan. So while you're having your football sense tuned up in the shop maybe you can have them rotate your Eagle's depth chart.

Well, we'll see how it shakes out. I know they'll try to make Gocong into a LB for SAM.

You are right about McCoy, of course. I thought he could fill in differently at first, but they will use him on the weakside. If he can beat out Barber. :doh:

Sept will tell us what JJ thinks of everybody.

Why would it be funny for Richmond to start at LBer? Weren't Pierce and Marshall undrafted? Richmond was a pretty good undersized DE in college and has been an Eagle for 2 years so he knows the system which for a LBer is a major part of the battle.

It was funny to me just because the limited amount of Richmond I saw didn't really impress.

We need a tr1 for Dallas and the Giants, too.

Just like every good hockey team needs an enforcer, so too does Extremeskins need members like tr1 to maintain some sense of equilibrium in here. Otherwise you'd have 95 threads about how the Eagles D-line cannot be blocked, or how much some Eagles fan wants to oil up Bunkley's muscles at the beach.

tr1 works hard at what he does so the rest of us don't have to...someone has to police the rabble.

Keep up the good work, I say.

Archived