Goaldeje

In regards to driving:  

56 members have voted

1. 1. In regards to driving:

• Driving totally stresses me out
    • Driving stresses me out some
    • Driving doesn't really stress me
    • Who cares?

Anyone know what kind of cheese is used for the white cheese dip in Mexican restaurants? Man, that stuff is good. Our local place will sell it to me, but sometimes you need something fast. Any ideas?

they sell the dip at super wal-mart in the cheese section by the tortillas.

White Cheese Dip

1 cup cheese (Monterey jack, Asadero or Chihuahua), finely shredded

4 ounces green chiles

1/4 cup half-and-half

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)

Put all ingredients in a double boiler and cook over medium or medium-low heat until melted and well blended, stirring occasionally.

this **** is awesomely addicting...ENJOY.

Its called queso blanco... go to any hispanic food store for it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queso_blanco

that stuff is awesome too, but it's a lot different. here in VB we have this mexican restaurant called Guadalajara that makes both of these, and lists them differently. the dip he was asking about stays melted even when cooled somehow, which still confuses me. :( the stuff you're talking about is usually added to the top of the meal, but it's delicious all the same.

If any of you are in the baltimore area, I highly recommend a restaurant called "El Salto." They have the best Queso con Chorizo dip.

The place looks kind of sketchy since it is located in an old Wendy's. But its ****ing great.

If any of you are in the baltimore area, I highly recommend a restaurant called "El Salto." They have the best Queso con Chorizo dip.

The place looks kind of sketchy since it is located in an old Wendy's. But its ****ing great.

that place is great....but i've noticed, most mexican restaurants look sketchy :laugh: the biggest money maker here is called El Azteca, and it's in an old converted McDonald's. Guadalajra is where it's at though. They even have live bands on weekends.

that stuff is awesome too, but it's a lot different. here in VB we have this mexican restaurant called Guadalajara that makes both of these, and lists them differently. the dip he was asking about stays melted even when cooled somehow, which still confuses me. :( the stuff you're talking about is usually added to the top of the meal, but it's delicious all the same.

Mix in a little pepper jack, and reduce it with some cream... that should do the trick...

You should check out Los Portales over on Aviation Blvd. Excellent food there. I'm under the impression that the same people that own Los Portales also owns El Salto and the place across from Marley Station Mall.

White Cheese Dip

1 cup cheese (Monterey jack, Asadero or Chihuahua), finely shredded

4 ounces green chiles

1/4 cup half-and-half

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)

Mmm... Chihuahua Cheese is most excellent! When I lived with my father, just about every weekend we would go to Mexico. We ALWAYS had melted chihuahua cheese and tortillas. It was soooooo yummy! Though this is not the cheese goaldeje is referring to... It just brought back memories.

Thanks - Now, I'm hungry. *sighs*

I'll have to check out El Salto. My neighbor here in Calvert Co is originally from Parkville area and drives up just to go to El Salto and swears by it.

Its called queso blanco... go to any hispanic food store for it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queso_blanco

I love queso blanco but it won't melt to a consistancy that would be dippable no matter what you mix in with it. Queso blanco is best sliced and pan fried until it's golden brown. Delicious! You'll want to use an asadero, if you can find it, for the dip.

I love queso blanco but it won't melt to a consistancy that would be dippable no matter what you mix in with it. Queso blanco is best sliced and pan fried until it's golden brown. Delicious! You'll want to use an asadero, if you can find it, for the dip.

That is why you reduce it with cream and add another cheese lke pepperjack

When I went to South-Central Mexico last year, we had a dish called Queso Fundido, which is basically a melted cheese served with small flour tortillas. I've seen some recipes with other stuff added, but this was just plain. Its kind of like fondue. Delicious! :)

I'll have to check out El Salto. My neighbor here in Calvert Co is originally from Parkville area and drives up just to go to El Salto and swears by it.

There is also an el Salto in Brooklyn MD. I haven't been to that one though. i hear they are owned by the same people so the food should be the same. It is definatly worth the trip.

That is why you reduce it with cream and add another cheese lke pepperjack

I don't understand what you mean by reducing. Reducing to me means heating a liquid or sauce to thicken and concentrate the flavors. Have you actually used the queso blanco for a dip? Did the queso blanco completely melt to a dippable consistency or do morsels of the cheese remain in the dip? ( I don't necessarily think that would be a bad thing) I'm absolutely certain that it will become soft and creamy but will never lose it's shape and melt. In fact, it's an important characteristic for cheeses in that cooking style since you don't want the cheese to run all over the place when stuffing tortillas or chile peppers. I'll give it a try to see how it turns out. I know it won't taste bad.

Archived