Goaldeje

In regards to driving:  

56 members have voted

1. 1. In regards to driving:

• Driving totally stresses me out
    • Driving stresses me out some
    • Driving doesn't really stress me
    • Who cares?

Funny...I always thought this cheese was a local phenomenon....it is wonderful!!! Cheese of the Gods I tell ya....

And is it just me, or is every Mexican joint in VA owned by the same people?? :laugh:

90% of the mexican restaurants' menus, from my experience, are almost exactly the same.

especially the combinaciones: #4 is always chile con queso, chicken burrito and beef taco.

and they all have the "with your permission, we recommend the special dinners, not for the price.......not all mexican food is hot........."

90% of the mexican restaurants' menus, from my experience, are almost exactly the same.

especially the combinaciones: #4 is always chile con queso, chicken burrito and beef taco.

and they all have the "with your permission, we recommend the special dinners, not for the price.......not all mexican food is hot........."

and always with the "Authentic Mexican food takes time to prepare properly. Please be patient as many of our dishes might take extra time to prepare"

and then your food shows up in 2 minutes :laugh:

and always with the "Authentic Mexican food takes time to prepare properly. Please be patient as many of our dishes might take extra time to prepare"

and then your food shows up in 2 minutes :laugh:

i tell you what, no restaurants can do it like a mexican restaurant. serve it up in 5 minutes, delicious, and all for less money than crapplebees. i walk out of el ranchero feeling like i ripped somebody off. :laugh:

You should check out Los Portales over on Aviation Blvd. Excellent food there. I'm under the impression that the same people that own Los Portales also owns El Salto and the place across from Marley Station Mall.

I second and third those recommendations! :cheers: All three are great!

i tell you what, no restaurants can do it like a mexican restaurant. serve it up in 5 minutes, delicious, and all for less money than crapplebees. i walk out of el ranchero feeling like i ripped somebody off. :laugh:

And the building... a converted KFC or Hardee's... they slap some stucco on the outside of the building, put a piece of plywood over the drive thru window, and hang a few corona banners / assorted mexican blankets / sombrero's on the walls...

voila! instant Mexican Restaurant.

Oh yah... you have to sell the chickles tabs gum at checkout. I think that is some sort of law actually.

Oh yah... you have to sell the chickles tabs gum at checkout. I think that is some sort of law actually.

*chuckles* OMG! The memories!!! I remember the kids peddling boxes of the chicklet gum as soon as you cross the border. The Mexican Gov't. drove all of them back into the old market though. So, no more being hounded as soon as you cross over.

The white chicklet gum rules!

When I went to South-Central Mexico last year, we had a dish called Queso Fundido, which is basically a melted cheese served with small flour tortillas. I've seen some recipes with other stuff added, but this was just plain. Its kind of like fondue. Delicious! :)

Not sure of your talking about Queso Fondito, but the way I have had it was with onions, and chorizo sausage added in served with flour tortillas.

Very tasty stuff.

I'm sure since I left Maryland the Mexican food has had to improve, but I can honestly say that I don't ever remember having what I would call good authentic Mexican food.

A question for anybody. Can you even find a place that serves Carnitas, Chili Verde, Chili Colorado, or Lengua?

The Chinese food back there ownes, but I honestly can't say I ever saw a place that had these items on the menu. Most of the places I went to served ground beef, or chicken items.

they sell the dip at super wal-mart in the cheese section by the tortillas.

White Cheese Dip

1 cup cheese (Monterey jack, Asadero or Chihuahua), finely shredded

4 ounces green chiles

1/4 cup half-and-half

2 tablespoons finely chopped onion

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)

Put all ingredients in a double boiler and cook over medium or medium-low heat until melted and well blended, stirring occasionally.

this **** is awesomely addicting...ENJOY.

Yeah man that stuff is ridiculously addictive. I can't not order it everytime I go to a Mexican restaurant.

I am in Reynosa (Mexico... border town just south of McAllen TX) from time to time with work.

Anyways... some of the local guys there take us out to eat for lunch. The food is fantastic... but the only rule is don't ask what it is. :) I never have... and I've always had an outstanding meal there. :) Chewy's post about cow tongue made me think about this.

I will say that imho the thing that makes authentic Mexican food taste so good are the tortillas. The place we go in Reynosa... when you walk in, there are a couple of old ladies hand-rolling tortillas. They use nothing but corn... you can't even get flour tortillas there.

Honestly... you could put just about anything inside that tortilla and it would be awesome.

Kind of like a great deli sandwich... the bread makes all the difference. :2cents:

i'll pass on that.

Well if you have had Chili Colorado, and it is authentic, it is made with tongue. :laugh:

As bad as it sounds, it's actually pretty tasty. Most of the places out here also serve the brain, which I have never tried. I just can't get past the thought of it.

Well if you have had Chili Colorado, and it is authentic, it is made with tongue. :laugh:

As bad as it sounds, it's actually pretty tasty. Most of the places out here also serve the brain, which I have never tried. I just can't get past the thought of it.

what's chili colorado? i am a chili freak, and make the best in the world, i would love to know if there's something i'm missing out on.

i'll pass on that.

You may not believe this but as a kid, lengua was my absolute favorite meal in the world. My grandmother makes it with a tomato sauce that is absoultely to die for.

I agree with CHUBAKAH, I don't recall any great authentic Mexican food, at least not in Northern Virginia.

You may not believe this but as a kid, lengua was my absolute favorite meal in the world. My grandmother makes it with a tomato sauce that is absoultely to die for.

I agree with CHUBAKAH, I don't recall any great authentic Mexican food, at least not in Northern Virginia.

i believe you. i'm not saying it isn't good. i'm just at the point where i'm done trying any new animals and any new body parts. i eat enough. :laugh:

i don't know if it's "authentic," but el ranchero has food similar to the mexican food i ate in cozumel and arizona.

i've had chili colorado, but w/ beef tips....at least that's what they told me. :paranoid:

what's chili colorado? i am a chili freak, and make the best in the world, i would love to know if there's something i'm missing out on.

Ingredients:

12 dried ancho peppers or dried mild New Mexico red peppers finely chopped

4 dried chipotle peppers

3 cups water

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

1 tbs snipped fresh oregano

3 cloves garlic minced

1 tbs olive oil

1 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Directions:

Cut up peppers, discard stems and seeds. Bring water to boil, remove from heat.

Add peppers and let stand for 45 to 60 minutes to soften. DO NOT DRAIN.

Meanwhile in a large skillet, cook onion, oregano and garlic in hot oil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Place half of the undrained peppers and half of the chopped tomatoes in a food processor or blender and process until nearly smooth. Strain through a fine sieve to remove any stems or seeds from tomatoes and peppers. Repeat this process with the remaining peppers and tomatoes. Add to onion mixture in skillet along with salt and cumin. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes.

That is it for the sauce. I normally use like a stew beef which I simmer in the sauce for like an hour on low heat. [i brown the meat first]

While I'll eat it with tongue in the local places, I just have a hard time looking at it before it's all cut up and cooked.

Enjoy!

Archived