Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Senators or Representatives from the other side of the aisle do you respect?

Midnight Judges

This thread is so folks can list who they think are good guys (relatively) from the other side of the aisle and why. I, for example, vote mostly Democrat so I will make a list of Republicans who are currently in office that I can respect. And I will list my reasons why I respect these guys. My list will be 100% positive. I am listing things that I like, not things that I dislike. Please follow this format for a positive political discussion. This will be a challenge for some of you.

Tom Davis-advocates an independant FEMA, among other things. I voted for him and as far as I can tell I would vote for him again.

Rob Warner-Votes centrist from what I have seen. Good in Hearings.

Arlen Specter-Presides over hearings in a fair manner

Bunning-No BS approach in the Steroid Baseball hearings

Boehlert-for standing up to Big oil

Olympia Snowe-for opposing the latest tax cuts for the rich as "fiscally unwise."

Voinovich-opposition to the tax cut for the rich

Norm Coleman-for his investigation into UN Oil for Food. He really did preside over an investigation that uncovered substantive corruption.

OK, I made it to 8. Let's see if you guys can top that. If you are independant, try and list 4 guys from each party that did something good. If you can't think of anyone and you just have the urge to rip on what other people think, please don't post on this thread. Keep it positive-it's harder than you think.

im more of a republican, but i generally dislike politicians. there are only a few i like/ed in the past four years and here they are:

senator warner of virginia-by and by a good politician

congressman wolf-besides a few things i get the impresion he really cares about the people in his district

former governer warner- i didnt like some of his policies but by and by he was a good politician, hes the one democrat i would vote for in a presidential election, especially against Mccain.

Joe Lieberman would be my choice as well. A moderate who is not afraid to stray from the party line to voice his opinion.

Also, I don't generally care for Chuck Schumer all that much, but he seems to be the main voice crying out for an investigation into gas price gouging. I'm 100% behind him on that.

Sarge? Chom? Your turn fellas. ;)

Joe Lieberman would be my choice as well. A moderate who is not afraid to stray from the party line to voice his opinion.

Also, I don't generally care for Chuck Schumer all that much, but he seems to be the main voice crying out for an investigation into gas price gouging. I'm 100% behind him on that.

Sarge? Chom? Your turn fellas. ;)

Lincoln Chaffee- The sole republican to vote against Iraq

Olympia Snowe- Very moderate repub and I agree with her on a lot of issues

John McCain- (I used to repsect him a LOT more before he started pandering) one of the last true fiscal conservatives out there

Lindsay Graham- Although I don't agree with him a lot, I completely respect the man.

Jim Jeffords (I)- a former repub who abandoned his party and is another fiscally responsible politician

im more of a republican, but i generally dislike politicians. there are only a few i like/ed in the past four years and here they are:

senator warner of virginia-by and by a good politician

congressman wolf-besides a few things i get the impresion he really cares about the people in his district

former governer warner- i didnt like some of his policies but by and by he was a good politician, hes the one democrat i would vote for in a presidential election, especially against Mccain.

Let me guess- you are from Virginia.

Kilmer is right. People claim to hate politicians but they always like their own congressmen, senator or governor.

John McCain

Lindsey Graham

Arlen Specter

Sam Brownback

Chuck Hagel

Orrin Hatch (strangely enough - well, as long as he isn't talking about judges)

John Warner

Senators are easy. I don't know really individual members of congress other than the Republican leadership - and they are not exactly admirable right now.

John McCain

Lindsey Graham

Arlen Specter

Sam Brownback

Chuck Hagel

Orrin Hatch (strangely enough - well, as long as he isn't talking about judges)

John Warner

Senators are easy. I don't know really individual members of congress other than the Republican leadership - and they are not exactly admirable right now.

That's a pretty good list. I would have mentioned a few of those guys had it occured to me. I intentionally did not mention McCain because I can't tell who the real McCain is, the guy who called Fallwell an agent of intolerance in 2000 or the guy who butters up to Fallwell in 2006.

Kilmer is right. People claim to hate politicians but they always like their own congressmen, senator or governor.

Not totally correct. I don't care for any of the elected officials who "represent" me at this time. Not on the state OR Federal level.

I do not respect ANY career politician.

Archived