Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Calling all experts

budski

I have scanned this board all over throughout the offseason and read most of the opinions on what the skins have done and what they should have done etc etc. I would like some the more experienced members to explain to me why this team cannot have a successful season. Across the board in every position I cannot see where the weak link is on the whole team. Sure they maybe a couple a questions but overall the team to me looks pretty good. Some comeon wheres the downfalls.

I think this team can have a very successful year. Are there weak links, I do not know there are a lot of question marks that indeed could be considered weak links.

1. Can Ramsey Develop into a very good quarterback( I hope so)

2. Will the offensive line be solid with the addition of Rabach and return of Jansen (this should be no problem n my opinion).

3. Are the receiving corps of Moss, Patten, Jacobs and Thrash an improvement over Coles, Gardner, Jacobs, and Thrash. (As much as everyone here love DMcants I left him off this list because I doubt he will be in Washington come the start of the season.

4. Can the defense play as good as they did last year.

5. Who will be middle linebacker?

6. Will Sean Taylor be able to play to his potential with the distraction of his case? Will Sean Taylor play? Will Sean Taylor be a distraction.

7. Is Carlos Rogers or Walt Harris as good as Fred Smoot.

These are the question marks that immediately come to mind.

GO SKINS!!!!!

Atlanta,

I donot see where whoever the skins picked up this year are at least as good as who they had last year, so to me that is an upgrade. WR's are better plus the ones who stayed know the plays. Defense no loss actually better, LB whoever they put in there played on the team last year. Taylor? not worried Williams puts people in there to excel. Ramsey? this guy has had half a season and two offseason to learn the offense cant possibly muff it up.

Originally posted by budski

Atlanta,

I donot see where whoever the skins picked up this year are at least as good as who they had last year, so to me that is an upgrade. WR's are better plus the ones who stayed know the plays. Defense no loss actually better, LB whoever they put in there played on the team last year. Taylor? not worried Williams puts people in there to excel. Ramsey? this guy has had half a season and two offseason to learn the offense cant possibly muff it up.

I do agree with you. However I was playing devils advocate and those are some of the question marks we have going into the season.

Heres to the playoffs!!!!.

GO SKINS!!!!:helmet:

Across the board in every position I cannot see where the weak link is on the whole team.

I felt the same way about the 2000 team.:doh:

Pro Bowl QB in Brad Johnson now being backed up by Jeff George who had a great 1999 for Minnesota.

Pro Bowl RB in Stephen Davis now being backed up by former 1000 yd runner Adrian Murrell.

Strong offensive line returning intact and we added Chris Samuels.

We added Ray Rhodes to coach the D.

Signed Bruce Smith who was coming off of a 10+ sack season.

Drafted LaVar.

Added Deion :puke:

For the life of me, I could not see a weakness on that team. We all know what happened.

As for 2005. What could cause another 6-10 season?

QB:

Patrick Ramsey needs to step up. He's been a career 70-75 rating QB, not bad but it's time to move into the 80's. Mediocre play from the QB will doom us.

OL:

The offensive line (if healthy) should be good.

RB:

The running game is in good hands with Portis and Betts.

WR/TE:

I'm not sure about the wideouts yet. I do think it's a good thing to get rid of malcontents like Coles and Gardner but I still am not sure if we've improved here. I like Cooley,Royal and Sellers.

DL:

I think the other thing that can doom us in 2005 is if the Dline did overachieve last year and are exposed this year. We're not going to get a pass rush from these guys but they did a hell of a job against the run. Are they that good or was it just scheme?

LB:

LaVar's return will be huge. But how much of a "QB of the D" was Antonio Pierce? If he was the "brains" on the field and we don't get a healthy Mike Barrow that could lead to some defensive lapses that lead to huge plays.

Secondary:

With or without Taylor, I think these guys are good. But a concern would be Shawn Springs. He's turned 30. Was last year his swan song and now he begins his descent? Remember Cris Dishman had a great 1997 only to slip badly in 1998. Is Carlos Rogers ready? Can we really rely on Walt Harris if Rogers isn't ready?

The Skins have questions and concerns going into 2005. But I think Patrick Ramsey is going to explode this year and be big for the Skins and Gregg Williams is enough of a great coach to have this D playing top 10-15 even if the line is exposed a little.

I have scanned this board all over throughout the offseason and read most of the opinions on what the skins have done and what they should have done etc etc. I would like some the more experienced members to explain to me why this team cannot have a successful season. Across the board in every position I cannot see where the weak link is on the whole team. Sure they maybe a couple a questions but overall the team to me looks pretty good. Some comeon wheres the downfalls.

That depends on how you define success. This can easily be an 8-8 team. That would be better than the last few seasons.

We are weak at QB. Ramsey has done nothing to prove himself. Brunell has proven himself to be a bad QB. I like the rookie, but he's a rookie. So much of a good offense depends on having a good QB.

Our offense was one of the worst in the league. We traded away our best receiver. The overall WR talent is worse this season. We improved the OL with Jansen and a quality center. We didn't have a creative offense that fooled people. If that doesn't change, the offensive ranking won't go up much.

Defensively we lose two very very good players in Smoot and Pierce. We gain a very good player in Arrington. I think that side should stay the same. I'm worried about our replacement at MLB. Having a bad one can just kill you defense (exhibit A: EJ Henderson, Minnesota Vikings)

If you are looking for early season indicators as to which direction this team is headed, I have two simple suggestions:

1) In pre-season and the first two games are the Redskins getting awarded more penalty yards than their opponents?

2) Do the Redskins win their first two games (Bears at home & cowgirls in dull-ass)?

If the answers come up yes to both, then the Redskins will have a good season.

Originally posted by scruffylookin

I felt the same way about the 2000 team.:doh:

Pro Bowl QB in Brad Johnson now being backed up by Jeff George who had a great 1999 for Minnesota.

Pro Bowl RB in Stephen Davis now being backed up by former 1000 yd runner Adrian Murrell.

Strong offensive line returning intact and we added Chris Samuels.

We added Ray Rhodes to coach the D.

Signed Bruce Smith who was coming off of a 10+ sack season.

Drafted LaVar.

Added Deion :puke:

For the life of me, I could not see a weakness on that team. We all know what happened.

To be fair to that squad, it was definitely headed straight to the playoffs at the halfway mark...but two things were not improved upon during the 2000 offseason which caused the team's undoing:

1) Placekicker...there was a revolving door at the placekicker position, and missed field goals directly cost the Skins at least two games that season. That's the difference between a 10-6 playoff birth and an 8-8 disappointing season.

2) Coach...there was no upgrade at head coach, Norv Turner was still Norv Turner, who's teams were Jeckle-And-Hyde at best (the previous season's playoff birth was the NFL's "Even a blind squirrel..." at it's best). Turner must have been Mike Tice's mentor or something.

The biggest weakness is the fact that these players haven't proven to be winners. Everything else is talk. These guys need to prove they are as good as their billing.

I like Ramsey, but so far he has demonstrated to be a solid QB, nothing more and nothing less. And we have nothing proven behind him. The plus is he's the second best QB in our Division (McNabb being N0.1)

Our WRs are average at best - there are no Monks, Clarks, or Sanders' (at least they haven't proven to be, maybe this year they will). Our WRs are behind Philly (assuming TO plays) and the Giants.

Portis is a stud, but needs the blocking. I think our line will be vastly improved this year (Portis is the best back in the NFC East and our line might be the best in the East).

Our CB situation is tenous right now. Will Walt Harris step in for Smoot, or will the rookie take that spot? (You'd still have to give Philly the edge here).

I'm tired of bragging about our offseasons only to play like crap during the season. I'm hoping we can turn it around, but it might take more than just this offseason.

Give Gibbs three years and I think we'll be right there.

Hail,

H

Honestly, if Gibbs weren't the coach I'd be pretty worried right about now.

On paper:

1) Our QB situation isn't any better than it was last season. Yes, at least Ramsey's the starter from day one, but it's not like he was tearing up the field last season. He's been serviceable. And until he proves otherwise, that's all we can expect from him this season. Hopefully Campbell's an upgrade at backup.

2) Our WR corps is not as strong. We have no #1 WR. Again, we can HOPE Moss emerges as a legitimate primary threat, but we can't EXPECT it. Patten's a decent #2, and we've got some depth at the #3 spot. But very few teams win a ton of games because they have depth at the #3 WR spot.

3) Jansen is coming off a bad injury and a year off. He will be an upgrade over Brown to be sure ... but how much of an upgrade? We don't know yet. Depth is still an issue with the line in general, although not as bad as last year.

4) DL. We still don't have a pass rusher on the line. Williams covered for that masterfully last season. Can he do it again? I hope so. There's that word again. Hope.

5) MLB. Who's going to fill that spot? Barrow? Someone else? We don't know. Again, we can hope, but we cannot expect that position to remain solid.

6) CB. Basically we've replaced Smoot with his backup and a rookie. That is a downgrade. Again, we can hope the rookie emerges as a great player, but we cannot expect it.

7) Safety. Do I need to get into this one? I don't really want to.

8) Coaching. Sorry, I hate hate HATE to bring this one up, but Gibbs looked a bit lost out there last season. He is a master at adapting and improving his schemes, but we haven't seen him turn this offense around yet. Not this time around. It being Gibbs and all, I fully expect he will, but it's not a guarantee.

Like I said, being familiar with Gibbs' work, I'm not as worried as I could be about all these questions. But they are questions nonetheless. And the casual observer won't give our coach the same benefit of the doubt that we will.

All thanks for the input, very valid points of which I can see

what your talking about. The recievers they picked up are just

that nothing special, but so are alot of players on the roster now

back then and on the current superbowl winners. My answer to ramsey is he has had year and half to learn what "The Plan" is, bound to have gotten it by now. Redskins have never had the ultimate qb. Defensive line will hold, how many people did they plug in there in last year and it worked? Smoots backup this year is last years Springs. Pierce was good, but they got other LBs that are working on their second season in the defense pierce had one.

Oh and Henry not picking on you but, hey dont you think Gibbs looked a little lost in his first season with Nascar?

Sure things have changed in the NFL, but come on no one and I mean no one really believes the game has passed him by. If anything the dismal offense they had last year pissed Gibbs off.

For me the biggest question mark is Gibbs. I'm a huge Gibbs fan, believer, or what ever you want to call it, but Gibbs was obviously quite rusty last year and had lost some confidence. He was coaching scared to some extent, and that won't work in the NFL. I have zero doubt that Gibbs will make the skins winners again, but it might take a little longer than some of us believe. I think it's crucial that the team get off to a good start, or all of the doubt and dissappointment will be tough for Gibbs to overcome.

From what I've read and heard, Gibbs is already finding his comfort zone again, but we won't really know until the season starts. If Gibbs can get his mojo back, this team will be very competitive. For the most part, the pieces are in place.

I have only read the 1st post (not anybody else's analysis), but I will take of the glasses Bubba has on his sig. and give you a less bias look.

Why they may struggle:

1. Ramsey is a ???-- In the same way I look at the Raven's Kyle Boller....neither have proven that they can be consistant starting NFL QB's. Remember Ramsey was the starter in 2003 (until injured) and looked terrible in the 2004 pre-season (thus, enter Mark Brunell). Ramsey has to prove that he is accurate, can read D-coverages better and can find that open WR/TE/RB that won't get the Skins just a 2-5 yd. gain. Plus, Ramsey does struggle with the "touch" pass and will need to improve on that as well.

2. WR Corp.--- Although I am happy we took Rogers over Williams, I can see the arguments of the "draft-Williams" camp and some of their arguments are justified.

Losing Coles to me isn't as big of a deal (despite liking LC's toughness and work ethic) as one should think b/c I think he's not the Coles from the Jets and his first few games with the Skins. Gardner also struggled and his loss also is nominal. Their replacements however, haven't proven too much. Moss has been injury prone and even with his abilities, hasn't shown to be a #1 WR. Patten is a solid WR, so is Thrash but on most teams neither would be higher on the depth chart than #3-4. McCants and Jacobs have potential, but neither have proven it so far (either by lack of play time, injury or lack of performance). Dyson hasn't really played for the last 1-2 seasons and Brown is really an untested WR.

3. TE- Not addressed by FA or draft (I personally thought the extra #1 was going to be for Heath Miller or a DE). Royal is an average TE who will have to step up his game like he started to do at the end of 2004.

4. DE/DT- Not really addressed. Daniels will have to stay healthy, Wynn is a great run stopper but not really a pass rusher. Warner and Evans should help....since they filled in well on pass downs for Daniels. THe Skins still lack a real solid pass rusher at DE, Maybe Arrington will step in that spot on 3rd and long?

5. LB corp.--- Losing Pierce was the biggest offseason loss in 2005. Hopefully with the depth that the Skins have at LB, someone will step up and fill his spot easily.....but we don't know.

Also, Arrington coming back will be important. Marshall was solid as a replacement but he is not as intimidating as Arrington healthy (or as big of a playmaker).

5. Sean Taylor--- Sure, if he missed the whole 2005 season, the skins would survive w/o him. But with his trial looming....he could be a big distraction at training camp like J. Lewis was for the Ravens last year. Plus, Taylor will have to grow up, learn to play his coverages better (ala Dallas last year) and avoid the stupid 15 yarders that kill the Redskins D stops.

6. Portis--should improve from last year, but injury is still a concern for CP. Hopefully, adjstments to Gibbs' O will help him look more like Denver's Clinton Portis than Stephen Davis.

7. Gibbs and the O--- Many have said that Gibbs can run his O against the modern NFL D's.....so far he has struggled. Gibbs has adjusted by bringing in Musgrave to add a Shotgun (for PR) and Zone Blocking/Spread field (3-4 WR's) to open it up for Portis while scrapping many of the Max. Protection plays. We still don't know if it will work and that will be the biggest question heading into 2005. Can Gibbs run an O that can play like the Redskins of his previous tenure?

Oh and Henry not picking on you but, hey dont you think Gibbs looked a little lost in his first season with Nascar?

Sure things have changed in the NFL, but come on no one and I mean no one really believes the game has passed him by. If anything the dismal offense they had last year pissed Gibbs off.

Well, that's why I said I 'fully expect' he'll figure things out. Certainly his question mark is the smallest of the half dozen or so I listed. But the question marks are there in any case.

Originally posted by goskins

2. WR Corp.--- Although I am happy we took Rogers over Williams, I can see the arguments of the "draft-Williams" camp and some of their arguments are justified.

Losing Coles to me isn't as big of a deal (despite liking LC's toughness and work ethic) as one should think b/c I think he's not the Coles from the Jets and his first few games with the Skins. Gardner also struggled and his loss also is nominal. Their replacements however, haven't proven too much. Moss has been injury prone and even with his abilities, hasn't shown to be a #1 WR. Patten is a solid WR, so is Thrash but on most teams neither would be higher on the depth chart than #3-4. McCants and Jacobs have potential, but neither have proven it so far (either by lack of play time, injury or lack of performance). Dyson hasn't really played for the last 1-2 seasons and Brown is really an untested WR.

First of all, I agree with you in us taking Rogers over Williams. But man I wish there was a way of maybe trading Gardner and maybe something/someone else to Detroit for for him right now. However, I dont believe that our WR corp will be a possible point of struggle at all. Even though most of the WR's that we have probably would'nt be starters else where, together they form one hell of a speedy unit. They will open the running game and vise-versa. I can see Patten, Brown and Moss opennng huge lanes for Dyson/McCants. BTW...Happy B-day man.

Originally posted by flexxskins

First of all, I agree with you in us taking Rogers over Williams. But man I wish there was a way of maybe trading Gardner and maybe something/someone else to Detroit for for him right now. However, I dont believe that our WR corp will be a possible point of struggle at all. Even though most of the WR's that we have probably would'nt be starters else where, together they form one hell of a speedy unit. They will open the running game and vise-versa. I can see Patten, Brown and Moss opennng huge lanes for Dyson/McCants. BTW...Happy B-day man.

Thank you,

truthfully I like what I see with the WR's but that's my "Redskins Fan" opinion...if this was another team, I'd be concerned with these guys. Thus, the more NFL analysis opinion (as budski asked for this thread). However, I like what Dyson and Brown are doing.

I'm hoping that this year will be breakout years for Taylor and McCants. And I really hope Moss proves his pundits wrong and Thrash and Patten can be soild 2nd and 3rd down possesion WRs.

I'll take a stab at this, though, bear in mind, I'm actually very optimistic about this team.

However, if one were inclined to look at a reason why this team might struggle, even if he was inclined to agree with you that the team has no clear, hopeless weakness within any unit, the weakest area of play we've had in recent years is at the single position that can make the rest of the spots on the roster look questionable.

Patrick Ramsey has moments if brilliance in his game. He makes some throws very few people can conceive of, much less make. But, his consistency has always been lacking and, worse, when he entered two games last year with a full game plan designed for Brunell, he looked so bad, Gibbs seemingly had to dial the offense back to such a basic level to prevent Ramsey from killing the team by himself.

You saw Ramsey throw three interceptions and have several passes bounce off the hands of Giants defenders in a game against a hopelessly overmatched team like New York. You saw Ramsey enter the Cincy game and have at least six passes hit Bengal defenders square in the hands.

Where Brunell's play was tremendously spotty, the fact is in practice, he was reportedly very good. Good enough to make plays while minimizing mistakes. Ramsey entered with the same game plan and just made the kind of basic mistakes that scared Gibbs -- or appeared to -- into the weakest offense anyone has ever seen.

Tony Banks was more trusted by Marty than Ramsey was by Gibbs.

While Ramsey seemed to settle in some, he still would make the critical mistake at times a big play was most needed. Such play, should it continue, will make every other unit on the team look worse than it is and will prove to have a very limiting effect on the team.

Campbell can't realistically be considered ready to play and Brunell can't be a guy any individual has a lot of trust in as fans of this team. If we are to fail, this is how we will fail.

Originally posted by Art

You saw Ramsey throw three interceptions and have several passes bounce off the hands of Giants defenders in a game against a hopelessly overmatched team like New York. You saw Ramsey enter the Cincy game and have at least six passes hit Bengal defenders square in the hands.

I think a lot of Ramsey's problems last year in those sitautions had a lot to do with the fact that Gibbs only gives the #2 about 10% of the snaps. - In both of those games he wasn't going into the game as the starter. - Plus as you said, those games were designed for Brunell's abilities as opposed to Ramsey's.

Originally posted by jimster

I think a lot of Ramsey's problems last year in those sitautions had a lot to do with the fact that Gibbs only gives the #2 about 10% of the snaps. - In both of those games he wasn't going into the game as the starter. - Plus as you said, those games were designed for Brunell's abilities as opposed to Ramsey's.

Or, one could suggest the backup must always BE ready and if Ramsey wasn't preparing as if he could start at any moment, perhaps this is a reason Gibbs might have kept him in a backup role as long as he did. At least if that hypothetical of yours is true.

Archived