Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Calling all experts

budski

I believe the Defense will be the #1 Defense in the NFC again. Barrow will return and be a stud in the middle and Harris/Rogers will fill in nicely for Smoot. The DL will get their push and free up the LB, FS, SS, or CB for pressure. Williams will find a way and mix it up again.

The question mark is Ramsey! The OL will be great and has depth at C, G, and T. Portis is the best in the NFC period! The WR have enough speed to get separation. It boils down to PR getting an accurate dart into the separation at the right time with the right read. He has not demonstrated this to me other than the Falcon game (two yeras ago) where he placed the ball well. He is the question mark and appears that Gibbs reads it that way as well. THe QB position is clearly the position that will make this team accelerate into the playoffs. The Defense will enable us 6-7 games with poor QB play. We need above average QB play to go deep into the playoffs.

Originally posted by goskins

I have only read the 1st post (not anybody else's analysis), but I will take of the glasses Bubba has on his sig. and give you a less bias look.

Why they may struggle:

1. Ramsey is a ???-- In the same way I look at the Raven's Kyle Boller....neither have proven that they can be consistant starting NFL QB's. Remember Ramsey was the starter in 2003 (until injured) and looked terrible in the 2004 pre-season (thus, enter Mark Brunell). Ramsey has to prove that he is accurate, can read D-coverages better and can find that open WR/TE/RB that won't get the Skins just a 2-5 yd. gain. Plus, Ramsey does struggle with the "touch" pass and will need to improve on that as well.

2. WR Corp.--- Although I am happy we took Rogers over Williams, I can see the arguments of the "draft-Williams" camp and some of their arguments are justified.

Losing Coles to me isn't as big of a deal (despite liking LC's toughness and work ethic) as one should think b/c I think he's not the Coles from the Jets and his first few games with the Skins. Gardner also struggled and his loss also is nominal. Their replacements however, haven't proven too much. Moss has been injury prone and even with his abilities, hasn't shown to be a #1 WR. Patten is a solid WR, so is Thrash but on most teams neither would be higher on the depth chart than #3-4. McCants and Jacobs have potential, but neither have proven it so far (either by lack of play time, injury or lack of performance). Dyson hasn't really played for the last 1-2 seasons and Brown is really an untested WR.

3. TE- Not addressed by FA or draft (I personally thought the extra #1 was going to be for Heath Miller or a DE). Royal is an average TE who will have to step up his game like he started to do at the end of 2004.

4. DE/DT- Not really addressed. Daniels will have to stay healthy, Wynn is a great run stopper but not really a pass rusher. Warner and Evans should help....since they filled in well on pass downs for Daniels. THe Skins still lack a real solid pass rusher at DE, Maybe Arrington will step in that spot on 3rd and long?

5. LB corp.--- Losing Pierce was the biggest offseason loss in 2005. Hopefully with the depth that the Skins have at LB, someone will step up and fill his spot easily.....but we don't know.

Also, Arrington coming back will be important. Marshall was solid as a replacement but he is not as intimidating as Arrington healthy (or as big of a playmaker).

5. Sean Taylor--- Sure, if he missed the whole 2005 season, the skins would survive w/o him. But with his trial looming....he could be a big distraction at training camp like J. Lewis was for the Ravens last year. Plus, Taylor will have to grow up, learn to play his coverages better (ala Dallas last year) and avoid the stupid 15 yarders that kill the Redskins D stops.

6. Portis--should improve from last year, but injury is still a concern for CP. Hopefully, adjstments to Gibbs' O will help him look more like Denver's Clinton Portis than Stephen Davis.

7. Gibbs and the O--- Many have said that Gibbs can run his O against the modern NFL D's.....so far he has struggled. Gibbs has adjusted by bringing in Musgrave to add a Shotgun (for PR) and Zone Blocking/Spread field (3-4 WR's) to open it up for Portis while scrapping many of the Max. Protection plays. We still don't know if it will work and that will be the biggest question heading into 2005. Can Gibbs run an O that can play like the Redskins of his previous tenure?

This is a very enlightning post. I guess it's easier to talk amongst yourselves as opposed to dealing with fans of other teams. Naturally, I'm an a$$ sometimes but it's all in good fun. Funny thing is, when I presented simular questions about the Skins in a civil and objective manner I got FRIED for the audacity to do so. It was explained to me by a member of this board that the skins are sound at every position and thus no legitimate questions could possibly be presented :rolleyes: I guess even other Skins fans have questions as well... go get'em!:doh:

Seems the consensus is QB play being most important or pivitol with this year's team. I can't disagree there. To echo those sentiments... I'd say Ramsey needs to step up and be "above" average. Subpar or average won't be good enough for a play off team.

Originally posted by THEHEREAFTER

This is a very enlightning post. I guess it's easier to talk amongst yourselves as opposed to dealing with fans of other teams. Naturally, I'm an a$$ sometimes but it's all in good fun. Funny thing is, when I presented simular questions about the Skins in a civil and objective manner I got FRIED for the audacity to do so. It was explained to me by a member of this board that the skins are sound at every position and thus no legitimate questions could possibly be presented :rolleyes: I guess even other Skins fans have questions as well... go get'em!:doh:

1. I was asked for an unbiased opinion of what could lead to the Redskins not having a successful season. I gave a reasonable opinion/analysis. Does this mean that I think any of these issues I brought up will occur? Nope. I think Ramsey will have his best year yet. I am impressed by our untested WR corp. And I have faith that Gibbs will create an O that helps both Ramsey and Portis be better than last year.

2. You are a Cowboys fan.....with that for the most part a unbiased opinion about our team can't be fully taken without (a) a grain of salt, (B) a sense of attack by the opposition.

It would be like if I went to Cowboyszone and started a thread on why I think Dallas will go no where in 2005. Sure, I can be nice about it, I can be "non-biased" and analytical with my opinions....

But what response will I get from Dallas fans.

Think about that...before you play the wounded poster and how "those awful Redskins fans treat guests of other teams".

The phrase is old but true: YOU ARE ON A REDSKINS BOARD!

3. There are fellow ESers on this board who would take issue with my post. There are those who really do believe that we have no positional issues and we are only 1000X's better than last year. Obviously that's only a few here as many among the Redskins fans have their opinions on how the Redskins offseason has been (I'm sure the same goes for fans of the other 31 NFL teams). But some really think that every issue I brought up is totally wrong.

GoSkins,

I don't know that anyone here thinks the issues you brought up are TOTALLY wrong in any way. You admit yourself, you don't believe some of the issues exist. You simply made the statement as a possibility as to how something might exist.

Sure, there were a couple of logic errors in your opinion, such as saying Thrash and Patten would only be No. 3 or No. 4 on the depth chart of most teams when Thrash was No. 1 on the NFC Championship team two years ago and Patten has been No. 2 on the Super Bowl team as recently as last year.

Or, where you're right to say tight end is generally not strong, it's probably not as meaningful considering how Gibbs rarely utilizes that position in the offense as anything other than a blocker.

But, in the spirit of what this thread is meant to do, you are well in line in each of the comments you might make. I doubt any Cowboy fan has achieved such a natural fit within a thread in all of this board's history.

Originally posted by GSF

For me the biggest question mark is Gibbs. I'm a huge Gibbs fan, believer, or what ever you want to call it, but Gibbs was obviously quite rusty last year and had lost some confidence. He was coaching scared to some extent, and that won't work in the NFL. I have zero doubt that Gibbs will make the skins winners again, but it might take a little longer than some of us believe. I think it's crucial that the team get off to a good start, or all of the doubt and dissappointment will be tough for Gibbs to overcome.

From what I've read and heard, Gibbs is already finding his comfort zone again, but we won't really know until the season starts. If Gibbs can get his mojo back, this team will be very competitive. For the most part, the pieces are in place.

I am very not worried about Gibbs.

From where Im sitting. Its make pefect sence how things happened and what Gibbs has done to adjust.

The team needed an organizational make over. Gibbs was away for 10 years. He come back and does what ? What worked before. Only this time, he doesnt have a Joe T at QB to run the show and the system he is trying to run is a little outdated.

He gets someone that is a vet to run his show. He sticks with them as Gibbs does. He tries to adjust on the fly but there is only so much you can do. Whatever system he was going to run he wasnt doing to change anything for at least 6 games because there needed to be consist for some period. He needed to establish a base line. He finally makes the QB change but its against some very very touch teams. The offense starts to look better late in the season but by then it to late.

Offseason comes. He adds a O coach to put new ideas in ring. He listens to that coach. Now we have a shot gun, less motion and more zone blocking. Thats how great a leader and how open minded Gibbs is. Gibbs hated the shot gun but he is smart enough to get talented coaches and then listen to them. He is not tied to one offense that has to work. Dont forget. His first time around he came in from Air Corell. He was a Sperier. When he saw that wasnt working and saw the talent he had, he did a 180 and because a power running ball control guy.

Gibbs isnt just a coach. Hes a organization/system builder. He is a executive who puts together a staff and then runs a systems where idea are introduced and filters through. The staff is repected and give power. Goals are set. People are treated as who persons and not just cogs to be used.

We are the ones that got to excited to quickly. In hind sight, Gibbs is on a good pace with his progress. I can hear it in the player voices. I can see it in the 99% offseason participation.

Gibbs is actually doing a great job. He probably actually ahead of schedule. We are the ones that expected to much to quickly.

That all being said. I think he has done a lot of the little things with this team that will show huge dividends this season.

Originally posted by Art

GoSkins,

I don't know that anyone here thinks the issues you brought up are TOTALLY wrong in any way. You admit yourself, you don't believe some of the issues exist. You simply made the statement as a possibility as to how something might exist.

Sure, there were a couple of logic errors in your opinion, such as saying Thrash and Patten would only be No. 3 or No. 4 on the depth chart of most teams when Thrash was No. 1 on the NFC Championship team two years ago and Patten has been No. 2 on the Super Bowl team as recently as last year.

Or, where you're right to say tight end is generally not strong, it's probably not as meaningful considering how Gibbs rarely utilizes that position in the offense as anything other than a blocker.

But, in the spirit of what this thread is meant to do, you are well in line in each of the comments you might make. I doubt any Cowboy fan has achieved such a natural fit within a thread in all of this board's history.

Art,

Thanks.

You're right about Thrash. Yep he was #1 in Philly before TO came in and he and Patten (in my op.) are more fit to be #2 and #3 WRs on this team and for most teams.

And you're also right about TE-- however, I was hoping the Skins would find a slightly better pass catching TE in the offseason (they still might...it is still early, training camp isn't here yet) since Royal was improving last year and apparently Brian K. is gone.

But TE's in Gibbs' system are more blockers than pass threats (big reason why we took Taylor over The Soulja).

Originally posted by goskins

1. I was asked for an unbiased opinion of what could lead to the Redskins not having a successful season. I gave a reasonable opinion/analysis. Does this mean that I think any of these issues I brought up will occur? Nope. I think Ramsey will have his best year yet. I am impressed by our untested WR corp. And I have faith that Gibbs will create an O that helps both Ramsey and Portis be better than last year.

2. You are a Cowboys fan.....with that for the most part a unbiased opinion about our team can't be fully taken without (a) a grain of salt, (B) a sense of attack by the opposition.

It would be like if I went to Cowboyszone and started a thread on why I think Dallas will go no where in 2005. Sure, I can be nice about it, I can be "non-biased" and analytical with my opinions....

But what response will I get from Dallas fans.

Think about that...before you play the wounded poster and how "those awful Redskins fans treat guests of other teams".

The phrase is old but true: YOU ARE ON A REDSKINS BOARD!

3. There are fellow ESers on this board who would take issue with my post. There are those who really do believe that we have no positional issues and we are only 1000X's better than last year. Obviously that's only a few here as many among the Redskins fans have their opinions on how the Redskins offseason has been (I'm sure the same goes for fans of the other 31 NFL teams). But some really think that every issue I brought up is totally wrong.

Go Skins.. I hear you man.. I liked your post and like I said, it must be easier for you guys to talk amongst yourselves. I understand the psychology of it all it's just funny to me I guess. It would seem however, that one should understand when one is attempting to have an intelligent discussion rather than take cheap shots @ the skins "ON A REDSKINS BOARD!" Ramsey sucks and your wide outs are terrible is one thing. Asking simular questions to what you asked in this post in the same manner is another but I get it.

As far as your comment about Cowboyszone, it's actually slightly diffirent over there. All fans will naturally have their guards up against opposing fans but many ES'ers seem to be on an extreme edge against any perceived slight against the skins. I think the media has alot of you guys all worked up. Anyways, the season should be fun!:notworthy

Originally posted by hands11

I am very not worried about Gibbs.

From where Im sitting. Its make pefect sence how things happened and what Gibbs has done to adjust.

The team needed an organizational make over. Gibbs was away for 10 years. He come back and does what ? What worked before. Only this time, he doesnt have a Joe T at QB to run the show and the system he is trying to run is a little outdated.

He gets someone that is a vet to run his show. He sticks with them as Gibbs does. He tries to adjust on the fly but there is only so much you can do. Whatever system he was going to run he wasnt doing to change anything for at least 6 games because there needed to be consist for some period. He needed to establish a base line. He finally makes the QB change but its against some very very touch teams. The offense starts to look better late in the season but by then it to late.

Offseason comes. He adds a O coach to put new ideas in ring. He listens to that coach. Now we have a shot gun, less motion and more zone blocking. Thats how great a leader and how open minded Gibbs is. Gibbs hated the shot gun but he is smart enough to get talented coaches and then listen to them. He is not tied to one offense that has to work. Dont forget. His first time around he came in from Air Corell. He was a Sperier. When he saw that wasnt working and saw the talent he had, he did a 180 and because a power running ball control guy.

Gibbs isnt just a coach. Hes a organization/system builder. He is a executive who puts together a staff and then runs a systems where idea are introduced and filters through. The staff is repected and give power. Goals are set. People are treated as who persons and not just cogs to be used.

We are the ones that got to excited to quickly. In hind sight, Gibbs is on a good pace with his progress. I can hear it in the player voices. I can see it in the 99% offseason participation.

Gibbs is actually doing a great job. He probably actually ahead of schedule. We are the ones that expected to much to quickly.

That all being said. I think he has done a lot of the little things with this team that will show huge dividends this season.

Well done.

hands11,

Nicely put, as far as Ramsey goes I still the guy can do it.

After all the time they have spent with him, and all the QBs from the past that Gibbs has coached they all had their flaws, but managed to get it done. Ramsey will do just fine. Two years under Gibbs and all the focus is on him to learn what they want and how to do it.

Archived