Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green and Colin Powell to buy Nats?

airborneskins

http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=398&sid=523682

Colin Powell in Group That Wants Nats

Updated: Wednesday, May. 25, 2005 - 5:55 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) - Former Secretary of State Colin Powell joined one of nine groups bidding to buy the Washington Nationals from Major League Baseball.

Powell was one of three new investors who were announced on Wednesday, along with businessmen Dennis Bakke and David Donnini.

"We have the opportunity to reinvigorate this city and bring baseball back to a generation of youth who have lost their connection to our nation's pastime," Powell said.

"I'm encouraged by baseball's efforts to diversify its ranks and its reach, and the Washington Baseball Club shares that commitment to making this team accessible to every Washingtonian," he said.

The group, led by Fred Malek and Jeff Zients, includes former Fannie Mae chairman Franklin Raines, America Online founding CEO James Kimsey, lawyer Vernon Jordan and former Washington Redskins player Darrell Green.

The franchise was purchased by the other 29 major league teams for $120 million in 2002, and Major League Baseball is expected to get more than $300 million in a sale it hopes to complete this year,

Nine potential ownership groups have paid $100,000 deposits to enter the bidding.

Powell retired as secretary of state in January.

(Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Uh, Colin...

unless you live in the Dominican Republic, baseball is NOT the nation's pastime, and hasn't been since the advent of TV. Americans don't care about baseball; they'd rather watch sports.

Baseball is something we have to keep the Latino immigrants busy, sort of like hockey is allowed to exist only to keep Canada from withdrawing from NAFTA (and because it's the only way people from Minnesota get to see live fights). What's next, are you going to buy a bowling alley?

Originally posted by Riggo-toni

Uh, Colin...

unless you live in the Dominican Republic, baseball is NOT the nation's pastime, and hasn't been since the advent of TV. Americans don't care about baseball; they'd rather watch sports.

Baseball is something we have to keep the Latino immigrants busy, sort of like hockey is allowed to exist only to keep Canada from withdrawing from NAFTA (and because it's the only way people from Minnesota get to see live fights). What's next, are you going to buy a bowling alley?

:doh:

Originally posted by airborneskins

Hey guys, I heard this this morning on the way in to work. Has anyone else heard this? I think that it would be cool if DG was atleast partial owner of the Nats. If anyone knows where I can find info on this please let me know.

Powell has joined one of the groups, however I highly doubt he is there for his money but who he is. It will be hard for MLB to say no to the old Secretary of State.

That group is now the favorite.

Uh, Colin...

riggo you are such a fool

Uh, Colin...

:doh: WOW

Originally posted by TheDoyler23

The Maleck group is probably going to win this bid. They've been adding both money and people of personal stature.

Word is if they do win (and should) Cal Ripken will be the President and and maybe GM of the team. :notworthy

Originally posted by jbooma

Word is if they do win (and should) Cal Ripken will be the President and and maybe GM of the team. :notworthy

I think Cal would be a good President. Some people think he may be commish one day.

I think the Nats have a good GM in Bowden already, though.

Uh, Colin...

Why are you hating on bowling like that?

Uh, Colin...

Uh, Colin...

Riggo-

Putting a smile after your quote doesnt make it any better...in fact it makes it worse. I aint Latino but what a friggin retard you are for making a dumb ass coment like that....You make me sick....I hate baseball as much as you but to say that goes to show your biggotry....

Originally posted by TheDoyler23

I think Cal would be a good President. Some people think he may be commish one day.

I think the Nats have a good GM in Bowden already, though.

How would the O fans feel if Cal were to do that? I doubt Bowden will be back, watch out for the Yankees GM he wants out of NY and DC would be a great spot for him.

Originally posted by jbooma

How would the O fans feel if Cal were to do that? I doubt Bowden will be back, watch out for the Yankees GM he wants out of NY and DC would be a great spot for him.

Many O's fans wouldn't like that. I think it might tap into the inferiority complex of many Baltimoreans, but Cal is certainly qualified and the two teams are in diff leagues, only competing in interleague play, the draft and free agency (perhaps one day, a world series!)

I don't know what kind of GM Cashman would be w/o a 200 million dollar payroll. He's certainly a SABR guy and I think his father worked for the Orioles at one point.

Archived