Extremeskins

Skins.com:Jansen Makes His Return At OTAs

warren

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=1845

Jansen Makes His Return At OTAs

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

May 23, 2005

Jon Jansen missed the camaraderie most of all. He missed joking with fellow offensive linemen. He missed the acerbic tongue of assistant head coach-offense Joe Bugel, who works primarily with the offensive line. And he missed the bonding that occurs among teammates, even during practice.

With the start of Organized Team Activities (OTAs) last week, Jansen returned to the Redskins Park practice fields. It was the first official series of practices that Jansen participated in since his ruptured Achilles injury last August.

Jon Jansen

Following Thursday's practice, Jansen said he felt no lingering aftereffects from the injury and the subsequent surgery.

"It feels 100 percent," Jansen said. "It's not even an issue. It's like [the injury] never happened."

Jansen suffered the Achilles injury in the Redskins' first pre-season game last year, the Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio against the Denver Broncos. He was placed on injured reserve shortly thereafter.

Long known for his durability, it was difficult for Jansen to be apart from the game. He had started 80 consecutive regular-season games before the injury.

"It felt great to be part of the guys and part of the camaraderie again," Jansen said last Thursday. "You're part of the jokes. You're part of being around the guys. That's what you miss the most."

This offseason, Jansen has watched personnel officials assemble an offense that appears to have greater depth than last season.

On the offensive line, the expected starters are Jansen, Randy Thomas, free agent pickup Casey Rabach, Derrick Dockery and Chris Samuels. The backups include veterans Ray Brown, Lennie Friedman and Cory Raymer and second-year players Mark Wilson and Jim Molinaro, among others.

"Last year, we had some injuries and that really affected the team," he said. "This year, if injuries happen, I don't think we'll be as affected. We've really solidified some positions with some great depth."

With Jansen back, we can now take over the world! Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

j/k... I hope everything falls into place and these 'dirtbags' can be more than just a silly name. Maybe they'll play sharp with the new schemes and give Portis and Ramsey their best seasons yet. I believe they can.

Originally posted by jtyler42

W/Jansen back in the mix and the addition of Ramsey we now have the makings of an elite line if Dock can play up to his ability and we can keep them together for the next few yrs...

I think jtyler42 meant Rabach(?), not Ramsey.

Jansen was a HUGE loss last year.

Getting him back and getting Rabach is like getting two major upgrades.

Great news.

I think the saddest thing I heard about Jansen's injury is that it set him apart from his teammates somewhat. Guys were a little more reluctant to hang out with the injured player, perhaps subconsciously trying to avoid associating with that "stigma."

I recall them talking about it on Comcast. Apparently it is a common reaction. I'm glad he is getting back in the groove, we need his presence in the locker room as much as on the field.

Originally posted by McMetal

Great news.

I think the saddest thing I heard about Jansen's injury is that it set him apart from his teammates somewhat. Guys were a little more reluctant to hang out with the injured player, perhaps subconsciously trying to avoid associating with that "stigma."

I recall them talking about it on Comcast. Apparently it is a common reaction. I'm glad he is getting back in the groove, we need his presence in the locker room as much as on the field.

That's a pretty good point. I have heard of players avoiding injured players.

Having Jansen healthy means he can be a force both on the field and in the locker room.

Archived