Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coolest Star Wars Villain

footballhenry

The fist Zahn trilogy is as follows :Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, & The Last Command. These three books are what are credited as saving the Star Wars franchise as their sales numbers went through the roof & helped to re-establish interest in the franchise.

BOOK REVIEWS

As Code said, Lucas can & has nixed some ideas. For example, Joruus C’baothwas originally going to be a clone of Kenobi.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Look, Zahn did a nice trilogy, but looking back? It wasn't THAT great.

Plus, it is absolutely sinful to have a Force-negating lizard.

LAME. Lamest idea in the history of EU and that says something.

Force-negating lizard? It's been years since I've read the books (I was 12 or so I think) but I don't remember that. But that's sort of how I felt about midichlorians.

Originally posted by dfitzo53

Force-negating lizard? It's been years since I've read the books (I was 12 or so I think) but I don't remember that. But that's sort of how I felt about midichlorians.

Yeah, the ysalamiri. Look it up online. It's real dumb, but it's the only way Zahn could come up with a way for Thrawn(non-Force powered) to command the mad Jedi clone.

BTW, if you think about it, the story is kind of lame. Not the Thrawn aspects, that's tight, but the whole clone/we-missed-a-Jedi thing got beaten to death in EU.

When Vader dies, only Luke remains as Jedi or even nominal force user. Period.

That's my take. There are force-sensitives, but no one who can really use their powers in a distinct Jedi/Sith fashion. EU had to resurrect force-users all over in order to have decent plots(in THEIR minds)

I remember seeing the original Star Wars in the theatre when I was about 8. Darth Vader scared the living **** out of me. He wins by a landslide. I do agree with the original poster though that Darth Maul was pretty cool with that double light sabre and floating motorcycle.

ysalamiri are the little fellows who absorb the force in their immediate vicinity. An interesting twist I thought and not totally out of the realm of things as Star Wars goes. If Jabba, ( and possibly Hutts?), and Watto are impervious to the force, ( or some effects of it), only stands to reason. The books were damn good in my opinion. Zahn did a good job of developing the characters that George provided and those he created himself. Thrawn was awsome. It's a rather tall task to integrate all those characters and the various political and social aspects of the New Republic into a story or 3, but I though Zahn did good work. Really good work.

Splinter of the Minds Eye was written by Alan Foster and it was good read. First book based on the Star Wars universe. Trivia time. Alan was also the "ghost" writer for the book Star Wars A New Hope. He was commissioned to write those 2 books. Splinter was a just in case book. Written so that it could be made into a cheaper sequel to Star Wars in case that one didn't do too well.

LucasArts has a group of editors that makes sure that the books basically insures continuity within the Star Wars Universe. Authors can use the others characters and so forth. Yes. Officially licensed by them. George apparently doesn't do anything specific with the books unless an author has some drastic plans for a main character. That's the short version. :)

Oh. Darth Vader. What can I say. I remember to this day the first time I saw him hit the screen. Shudder and cool at the same time. I will say I enjoyed Darth Maul as well. Not alot of screen time, but the man was cool. Vader would kick his ass, but still a cool villian. Shouldn't have waxed him so fast imho. Be nice to see Vader do it. :evil:

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

When Vader dies, only Luke remains as Jedi or even nominal force user. Period.

The Force is all-pervading, and while the Jedi Order was destroyed, I don't think it's ridiculous that in some reaches of the galaxy there were others experimenting with the Force in a limited capacity, like the witches of Dathomir. Part of the story is that the Force manifests itself in many ways, whether it's Obi-Wan's highly trained skill or Han's "luck."

Originally posted by dfitzo53

The Force is all-pervading, and while the Jedi Order was destroyed, I don't think it's ridiculous that in some reaches of the galaxy there were others experimenting with the Force in a limited capacity, like the witches of Dathomir. Part of the story is that the Force manifests itself in many ways, whether it's Obi-Wan's highly trained skill or Han's "luck."

Agreed. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that the Jedi, who had been keeping the peace in the Republic for a thousand years weren't the only ones. Had to get more Jedi from somewhere. Imagine that wouldn't change jsut because Palpatine and Vader waxed all the Jedi they could find.

Archived