Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homeowner Shoots Burglar

flyingtiger1013

Schweeeeet. Too bad his aim was off, though.

http://www.nbc4.com/news/4493614/detail.html

LAYHILL, Md. -- Authorities said a burglar apparently got more than he bargained for when the would-be victim shot him.

According to Montgomery County police, it happened late Monday morning in Layhill, where they believe the suspect robbed two houses.

Lt. Eric Burnett said that shortly before 10:30 a.m., residents came home and found a man outside. When they entered the home, they realized they had been robbed. They saw the man get away in a red sport utility vehicle.

About 15 minutes later, police got another call. This time, a homeowner confronted a man inside the home and opened fire, hitting the intruder in the leg. The intruder took off in a red SUV with police chasing him.

Police stopped the car at Layhill and Chester Mill roads, where the man was arrested. He was taken to a hospital, and his condition is not available.

There's also no word on whether the homeowner will face any charges.

Charges? Hell, give him a medal!:cheers:

Originally posted by herrmag

Oh no, I'm sure lawyers are lined up outside the hospital. If the burglar wasn't armed, this will not end well for the homeowner.

Doesn't matter if he was armed or not, the homeowner will be fine. If the burglar was in his home, he's a target.

Originally posted by codeorama

Doesn't matter if he was armed or not, the homeowner will be fine. If the burglar was in his home, he's a target.

I seem to remember a case about 10 years ago where a homeowner shot a burglar. The burglar ended up suing him. Whether or not he actually shot him in the house, I'm not so sure about.

The key word here is "IF".

It is perfectly legal as long as they can prove that he didn't invite him in. I am sure that some lawyer will try to say that he was invited in the house, he just had to come in through the window.:)

here are my thoughts on this, whether the man was armed or not, the homeowner had every right to shoot him, cause believe you me, if that happened in my house, i wouldn't hesitate to shoot, and i would also aim for the legs or feet, unless they had visible signs of a weapon, then i would shoot to kill.

Nobody is going to put my family in danger and get away with it, plain and simple.

IF the burgler was in the home is the key question. IF the homeowner shot someone that was in his yard, then he's an idiot.

IF the burgler was inside the home, the homeowner is fine.

Shoot to kill, then the body is laying in the living room, there's no question if he was in or out.

It depends on the laws of your state. I can tell you from experience, I had a man break into my home 1 night, I got my gun and confronted him, after I realized he was drunk and was not a threat to me, I just called the police. I was told by the police that if I had shot him, I would be in jail. Welcome to NY

Originally posted by flyingtiger1013

"and i would also aim for the legs or feet, unless they had visible signs of a weapon, then i would shoot to kill."

Always shoot to kill or don't shoot at all.

Why? I'm not going to stand in front of God and say, "Yeah I killed him on purpose because he had my lamp and meant to leave with it" If I can I'm going to make sure everyone leaves alive.

Originally posted by Destino

Why? I'm not going to stand in front of God and say, "Yeah I killed him on purpose because he had my lamp and meant to leave with it" If I can I'm going to make sure everyone leaves alive.

Des,

Just so you know for your own legal sake, IF you pull the trigger, you had better aim center mass.

You shouldn't BE SHOOTING unless you plan on 'stopping the attack'(this is what you'll tell the investigators)

I mean, if you think the guy isn't a huge threat(a mistake to make assumptions, I think) then you shouldn't be pulling a trigger.

If you DO pull the trigger, it's because you're under attack or threat of attack.

Handguns are not man-stoppers. If you want to survive, you better aim center-of-mass and get a Central Nervous System shot. Or use a shotgun.

Originally posted by Destino

Exactly. If that is the case, don't shoot then. I was stating that IF you should choose to fire your weapon, shoot to kill.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Des,

Just so you know for your own legal sake, IF you pull the trigger, you had better aim center mass.

You shouldn't BE SHOOTING unless you plan on 'stopping the attack'(this is what you'll tell the investigators)

I mean, if you think the guy isn't a huge threat(a mistake to make assumptions, I think) then you shouldn't be pulling a trigger.

If you DO pull the trigger, it's because you're under attack or threat of attack.

Handguns are not man-stoppers. If you want to survive, you better aim center-of-mass and get a Central Nervous System shot. Or use a shotgun.

Exactly, great post.

However, SOME handguns are man-stoppers and I have one... :D

Well, we are talking about MONTGOMERY COUNTY, MD. here, people.

One of the most liberal counties in the country. They will find a way to charge the homeowner.

I use to live in the Layhill area, and believe me, it's getting really bad there.

This does not surprise me at all.

Code--like was stated before, the laws vary significantly by state.

About 10 years ago a Louisiana man shot and killed a prowler who was on his porch by shooting THROUGH his front door--didn't even give him a chance.

turned out that the prowler was a chinese exchange student who was lost and trying to get directions. Apparently, it is not illegal to do this in LA, and there were no changes filed. (although it was a bit of a diplomatic incident)

It definately varies by state. I have 3 young kids. Someone breaks into my house and they die. I don't take time to try and figure out if it's a drunk that's managed to somehow get by my locked and deadbolted doors. If you are in my house uninvited, you intend harm. You will be shot dead. There won't be any conversations with any lawyers about what your intent was after the fact. They can guess at your motive all they want, but you won't be providing any insight.

Archived