Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The College Board

NYSkins1

There is definitely a difference between a student who scores more than 1500 on the SAT's and somone who scores 1000. However, the SAT is known as a test to see how well you test. I took Kaplan, the whole course was set around strategies to get you through the SAT. The math does end at geometry, but taking Algebra II certainly helped me remember some of those algebra problems. However, I am against the SATs overall. I know people who got 1300's, yet I dont really see them as equals to me educational wise, and I know that sounds ****y, but I know a lot of people who did better than I did, but I do not think they are any smarter than I am.

I think they have finally implemented their new form of SAT though, with the writing section.

Oh, and in high school, 3 years ago I guess, all my APs were paid for as well, I think that has changed now though.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

I think we do agree.

But your last analogy is puzzling. Didnt you just use SATs as merit along with region?

What if the kid at McLean lives in a rental house with 25 people, eats rice 7 days a week and has to share pencils with 11 other kids. And the kid at Dunbar is the child of a Diplomat whose parents want to broaden horizons so they dont go the private school route. But at home has tutors, books and a nurtuirng environment?

My point is, we cant blame others for judging books by covers when we do the same sometimes.

You are correct. There is no easy solution.

Originally posted by Mr. S

I think they have finally implemented their new form of SAT though, with the writing section.

They have, my cousin is a junior in high school in Indiana and she said it was a terrible test. There was apparently an article in the Indianapolis paper about how subjective the grading is.

Time to rant...

I don't have much of a problem with the SAT and I think those who do are looking at it incorrectly. The SAT is not testing how intelligent you are or how successful you will be in life. All it tests is whether you are prepared for college. As stupid as it sounds, if you are good at multiple choice tests it really is all you need to get by in college. There are lots of classes where the material is almost irrelevant - just be good at spotting correct answers by using generalized logic. If you have to actually do real work like write an essay, most profs just skim them and stamp an A- on it. I just had two college exams that were all multiple choice and each took me 10 min to complete. Ohh and don't tell me grad school is much tougher than undergrad - one of those 10 minute finals is actually for a grad level class. So really the SAT works fine for college admissions based on what passes for college classes these days.

Originally posted by du7st

Time to rant...

I don't have much of a problem with the SAT and I think those who do are looking at it incorrectly. The SAT is not testing how intelligent you are or how successful you will be in life. All it tests is whether you are prepared for college. As stupid as it sounds, if you are good at multiple choice tests it really is all you need to get by in college. There are lots of classes where the material is almost irrelevant - just be good at spotting correct answers by using generalized logic. If you have to actually do real work like write an essay, most profs just skim them and stamp an A- on it. I just had two college exams that were all multiple choice and each took me 10 min to complete. Ohh and don't tell me grad school is much tougher than undergrad - one of those 10 minute finals is actually for a grad level class. So really the SAT works fine for college admissions based on what passes for college classes these days.

That's all well and good, but that's not the stated aim of the SATs. As aptitude tests they're a failure. Your point about multiple choice tests varies widely between disciplines, by the way.

What is the stated aim then?

And yes, not all courses of study will be mostly multiple choice exams. However, a wide variety of areas such as computers, sciences, history, economics, management etc will have their fair share of multi exam classes. You can be a successful triple major in college and barely do more than take multiple choice exams and write an occasional paper. That is all I was trying to say.

Originally posted by du7st

What is the stated aim then?

And yes, not all courses of study will be mostly multiple choice exams. However, a wide variety of areas such as computers, sciences, history, economics, management etc will have their fair share of multi exam classes. You can be a successful triple major in college and barely do more than take multiple choice exams and write an occasional paper. That is all I was trying to say.

Like I said, they're aptitude tests. Scholastic Aptitude Tests. They're supposed to measure your innate intelligence and ability to learn, but how is a test really supposed to do that?

Originally posted by Mr. S

There is definitely a difference between a student who scores more than 1500 on the SAT's and somone who scores 1000. However, the SAT is known as a test to see how well you test. I took Kaplan, the whole course was set around strategies to get you through the SAT. The math does end at geometry, but taking Algebra II certainly helped me remember some of those algebra problems. However, I am against the SATs overall. I know people who got 1300's, yet I dont really see them as equals to me educational wise, and I know that sounds ****y, but I know a lot of people who did better than I did, but I do not think they are any smarter than I am.

Oh, and in high school, 3 years ago I guess, all my APs were paid for as well, I think that has changed now though.

I know what you mean. I know a kid who got 1600 and he is a young earth creationist (he refuses to admit that the universe was not created in literally 6 days). So much for the reasoning part, heh.

[not to say creationists are not as smart, well ok maybe a little bit, sorry]

I got my AP Gov and AP comparative Gov tests tomorrow, I guess I better go study.

Originally posted by Liberty

I know what you mean. I know a kid who got 1600 and he is a young earth creationist (he refuses to admit that the universe was not created in literally 6 days). So much for the reasoning part, heh.

[not to say creationists are not as smart, well ok maybe a little bit, sorry]

I got my AP Gov and AP comparative Gov tests tomorrow, I guess I better go study.

I wish my school offered Comparative Gov, but we only have US Gov.

I'm feeling good about the US except for damn campaign finance reform. It's frustrating that we have to memorize 1974 and 2002's finite details.

Originally posted by TODD

I'm feeling good about the US except for damn campaign finance reform. It's frustrating that we have to memorize 1974 and 2002's finite details.

My school doesn't offer it as a class, it came free with the US Gov test so I decided to take it. I have a review packet and hopefully I can get a 4 even though I have never taken the class.

Originally posted by TODD

Unless somethin drastic has changed I wouldn't worry about it too much. I found the test to be quite easy and I got a 5. Maybe I was just lucky and it was an easy test my year.

Archived