Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Packers waive LB Robert Jones

Boy, this guy better start taking showers more frequently or should look into a new deodorant -- he's starting to smell. He's been signed and cut TWICE this year already, and it's not even training camp. He didn't even last a *month* with the Pack.

http://www.packers.com/

The Green Bay Packers have placed veteran linebacker Robert Jones and second-year quarterback Josh Heupel on waivers, GM/Head Coach Mike Sherman announced Friday.

Both Jones, a 10-year veteran, and Heupel, who quarterbacked Oklahoma to the 2000 national collegiate championship, had been signed as free agents, Jones on May 23, Heupel on February 7.

This is completely inexplicable to me. I thought

Jones played extremely well last season. I was

actually disappointed when I heard we blew a wad

of cash to sign Armstead instead of keeping our

own guy (Jones) for less money.

There must be something we don't know about, because he looked like a real player to me last season. Fearless, very tough, and a great run

defender.

I think he's hit the wall, and that his skills have eroded at an alarming rate. He keeps getting looks because of his performance last year and his experience. He may pass a physical and look good in an initial workout, but I have a feeling he's looking rather old in training sessions. Oh well, he's had a good career and will surely be picked up by someone desperate for LB help.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Eagles signed him and then rely on him to start. They pass on Nickerson, (albeit he is old), and then they sign an aging Robert Jones who has been cut by two squads in 2 months. What a terrible front office.

That is what has been reported in a couple of articles I've seen. As soon as Nickerson was signed Jones became expendable. Can't remember exactly why Jones was released by the Texans. Ironically, I guess, the Packers showed interest in Jones before the Texans signed him. Poor guy struck out twice.

maybe the Packers will prove me wrong, but to me Nickerson was a desperate move for help in the middle at age 37. I think Hardy is done. He has been through the large contract/injury scenario twice now in the past 5 years.

there really is a dearth of quality middle linebackers in the NFL and those that criticized the Redskins pickup of Trotter haven't focused on that fact.

most teams are 'getting by' with one year fixes or guys playing out of position.

no, MLB may not be as important to a new team starting as quarterback or left tackle or corner, but it is an important spot to get filled.

you don't see teams win the Super Bowl being soft up the middle.

Archived