Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question for Code(Star Wars)

Nerm

I thought this was a good question for Codeorama but others can chime in too. I’m a StarWars geek that is about to have my first child. How should I introduce my kid to the movies?

Should I start with episode 4, like I did. Or should I start with episode 1?

I’m leaning towards starting with A New Hope. I would hate for the kid to like the first ones better because of the special effects. What if the kid rejects my Boba Fett figure and asks for Jar Jar?

Also, what is the proper time to introduce the child to the series? My instinct tells me to rock the kid to sleep in front of the movie in the first month. When will they “get it”?

For the other members of the board... yes I have better things to worry about. I’m actually a person who is able to function in society, marry, and get a woman pregnant. However, I’m looking for an expert’s opinion on this “small” matter.

Originally posted by big#44

Dont introduce him to any star wars. Give him Lord of the Rings and Star Trek.

J/k ;)

I have wondered if I can be considered a "true" Star Wars fan because I liked Star Trek (mostly the next gen stuff). I liked the LOTR stuff too.

However, my child will have to understand the ways of a Jedi. There is no try...

:notworthy

i can't remember how i did it. my son has started reading all of the spin-off books in the SW galaxy, and has loved all 5 of the movies so far. he must have seen the OT first, cuz he had a hard time digesting the fact that cute little anakin turns into vader.

Originally posted by Nerm

I have wondered if I can be considered a "true" Star Wars fan because I liked Star Trek (mostly the next gen stuff). I liked the LOTR stuff too.

However, my child will have to understand the ways of a Jedi. There is no try...

:notworthy

'Scuse me. Pardon. Grew up watching Star Trek. Huge fan. Also huge fan of Star Wars, ( yep. All 6 films), and LOTR, ( Have to be. Used to copy Frazetta in Art class in H.S..... poorly. :) ). True fan of all.

I would say just let it happen. There will be no specific order they will remember them in. That would mean you would have to shelter them from SW for at least 5 years or so. I doubt your child won't see you watching them for that long.

As far as order. I would suggest waiting to see how much of the Classic Trilogy Ep. III will spoil if you know it.

I thought this was a good question for Codeorama but others can chime in too. I’m a StarWars geek that is about to have my first child. How should I introduce my kid to the movies?

I’m leaning towards starting with A New Hope. I would hate for the kid to like the first ones better because of the special effects. What if the kid rejects my Boba Fett figure and asks for Jar Jar?

Also, what is the proper time to introduce the child to the series? My instinct tells me to rock the kid to sleep in front of the movie in the first month. When will they “get it”?

For the other members of the board... yes I have better things to worry about. I’m actually a person who is able to function in society, marry, and get a woman pregnant. However, I’m looking for an expert’s opinion on this “small” matter.

My nephew saw EP I first. He didn't know about the OT.

Then, after seeing EP II, he saw the OT set of VHS tapes I have at my house and asked me about them. So we watched them on night when he spent the night. He loved them, we watched all three in one night.

He loves the PT too. Particularly EP I. Jar Jar, Jango and lil Anakin were his favorite characters. He was 5 mind you. But he had no problem with the difference in the PT and OT in terms of technology.

He even knew that the emperor was Palpatine as soon as he saw him.

The best part was when he realized that Darth Vader was Anakin, he really got excited.

I think watching the movies either way can work.

You must do what you feel is right....:D

My nephew understood the series at 5. He is DIEHARD star wars now. It's really cool. He loved the clone wars cartoons too...

Don't worry about them liking Jar Jar, my nephew thinks he's funny, but once he saw Vader, that was it... Vader is the man, even to a 5 year old. I've had to sit through many dissertations regarding how Anakin turns bad.. Pretty funny listening to a 5 year old stutter through that....

I was started with Episode 4 when I was little, not Return of the Jedi, and it worked just fine. I love those movies. I dunno how old I was when I first saw them, but it was probably 2 or 3. I was a pretty easily spooked kid when I was little and I handled all of the movies just fine, so I wouldn't worry about that part.

Archived