Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The defense will dominate again

Bonef1de

The foundation of any D is the players on the line. It has been discussed ad naseum about the lack of a "true pass rusher", but I believe our group of journeymen can and will get the job done.

This group of Wynn, Salavea, Evans, Daniels, Noble, Warner, Evans and our man Griffin will ALL be entering their second season under Willams and Blanche's tutelage. With the exception of Griffin these guys no they are not stars in this league so the need to do their role in this D is critical to keeping their job with this team.

The backer position definitely appears to be Williams personal favorite. We are carrying 13 guys right now so I won't bother to name them all. But with the complexity of our D packages we can keep subbing young legs onto the field to help Marcus. Someone of this group right now is pouring over the playbook to take the helm in the middle but they may not be the play caller on the field.

When Lavar returns he can provide that DE/LB threat that this D is lacking (anybody remember the game he returned and blasted that dude off of his feet).

Smoot was a tough gamer but Rogers appears to be the total package. I believe the combination of Rogers and Springs is going to be something of beauty. Blitzing and the threat of the corner blitz will be in the back of any QB and O coordinators mind. Harris has already shown the knack for the difficult nickel position.

The safety position is another that Williams believes that depth and personnel packages are critical to our style. With Prioluea and Lott coming of the sidelines to help the pass coverage Taylor and Bowen are going to be monsters against the run.

The bottom line is I've never been more proud of a football unit the I was of our D last year. Those guys played their guts out and with the exception of 2 that entire unit is returning. We have the mix of journeyman and stars, of experience and youth to keep hammering opposing players into submission.:dallasuck

We do have some questions at middle LB and on corner till Rogers is ready to start, but I think the Defense will be top five again this year in yards allowed. The D is lacking the playmakers that makes Baltimore feared, our D just cannot take over the game. Hopefully something will click on the offense and we will be able to be a playoff caliber team.

Originally posted by kingchris626

Why don't we let Lavar play the middle. He needs to be let loose anyway. He has the speed

Well, Lavar won't even be on the field for a while so we are going to need to find someone else. I have a feeling Marshall will win the job and have an Antonio Pierce like season.

Originally posted by terpfan

Well, Lavar won't even be on the field for a while so we are going to need to find someone else. I have a feeling Marshall will win the job and have an Antonio Pierce like season.

Why won't lavar be on the field? He should be back on his feet again from this last surgery by training camp. I really doubt his little gripe that carried over the last season will stop him from playing.

Originally posted by GangstaSkinz

The D is lacking the playmakers that makes Baltimore feared, our D just cannot take over the game.

I disagree entirely with this statement. Our corners are big and physical (Springs and Rogers). Taylor and Bowen are terrors. Everyone has the capability to bring a blitz from any direction and we have not even mentioned our LB corps. LA, Washington, and either Barrow, McCune, or possibly Marshall.

Originally posted by refuze

Remember what they said about Dallas the year before when they had a great defense? They became mediocre in their second season.

They don't have Greg Williams coaching their defense.

And the Cowboys are supposed to suck. 2003 was the abberation. They just returned to their natural state last year by having a bottom 10 defense.

The Redskins on the other hand are supposed to be a Top 10 D. At least thats the way I see it. :cheers:

The potential weak link IMO is at defensive tackle. We have Griffen and 2 30 something pluggers at DT. Griffen played Pro Bowl caliber DT last year, but if he gets hurt the Skins defense will be vulnerable in the middle. Hopefully we can pick up a post June 1 cut to fill in and provide some depth - I would take a flyer on Norman Hand if he's available. I think DT will be high priority in next year's draft - hope there's some good ones around in the 2nd round.

Originally posted by BogeyMan

The potential weak link IMO is at defensive tackle. We have Griffen and 2 30 something pluggers at DT. Griffen played Pro Bowl caliber DT last year, but if he gets hurt the Skins defense will be vulnerable in the middle. Hopefully we can pick up a post June 1 cut to fill in and provide some depth - I would take a flyer on Norman Hand if he's available. I think DT will be high priority in next year's draft - hope there's some good ones around in the 2nd round.

No way. There are not many O lineman in this league that can push Salavea off the line. He is a Samoan monster against the run. Didn't he have 11 tackles against the Eagles in a game this year?

Originally posted by Bonef1de

This group of Wynn, Salavea, Evans, Daniels, Noble, Warner, Evans and our man Griffin will ALL be entering their second season under Willams and Blanche's tutelage. With the exception of Griffin these guys no they are not stars in this league so the need to do their role in this D is critical to keeping their job with this team.

Griffin a star? , the last i saw the guy was basically raped from a Pro bowl spot.. with 96 tackles and 6 friggin sacks what happened to him was a travisty. he may be a star to skins fans but the media and the rest of the football world will probably jump on the wagon once we get to the playoffs.

Originally posted by RockyMountainHog

Our D. could be better than last year's. Williams will be a hot commodity if we are as successful as I think we might be . Danny, pay the man to keep him here and assure him he will become Gibbs successor after Gibbs get's #4.

I thought they already paid him 2x as much as he made as the HC of Buffalo. And he has already failed once as a HC so it might be a while before teams start lining up again. Either way, he makes more than most teams would offer a new HC.

About the comparison to Dallas:

In 2003, Dallas seemed to make good on every takling opportunity they had. Last year, they were constantly missing them. Even though 2004 Dallas' defense was no where near 2003 defense, they still had a few very good games. Further, the Dallas defense was 'figured-out' by the end of the season, even good teams were having problems with us. Some teams might have figure us out for a series or two but that was it. Finally, their offense, though mediocre, did not suck most of the time.

I'm sorry I just don't see how this defense can be better than last year's.

Last year we finished ranked #3 (2 by some accounts), but we lost 2 of our key cogs.

It's going to be a struggle to maintain our ranking from last year, much less improve it.

Originally posted by mookie0720

I'm sorry I just don't see how this defense can be better than last year's.

Last year we finished ranked #3 (2 by some accounts), but we lost 2 of our key cogs.

It's going to be a struggle to maintain our ranking from last year, much less improve it.

Arrington? Bowen? Daniels? Lott? Maybe Barow?

We are getting a few starters back and a lot of depth and we added McCune and Rogers who are both physically better than who we lost. Smoot gave up a few big games but played pretty good overall but couldn't blitz or tackle very well. Pierce was very good but I have a feeling that whoever takes his place this year wil do the job decent enough. I really don't see how this defense could be worse without us having several major injuries on every level.

Originally posted by SkinsFTW

I thought they already paid him 2x as much as he made as the HC of Buffalo. And he has already failed once as a HC so it might be a while before teams start lining up again. Either way, he makes more than most teams would offer a new HC.

He's expressed how content he is with Washington. First off, he's the highest paid DC in the league. Second, I think the consensus is that he'll replace Gibbs when he retires.

I think our D is going to be scary provided we have someone step in the MLB position. It will be really important to have someone in that position that makes sure everyone is lined up and on the same page.

Williams is going to have some fun utilizing McCune's speed and size. Roger's is going to be much more beneficial

then Smoot ever was... Smoot could never blitz and Rogers in College was a shut down corner and pummelled players with his tackles.

Overall, you'd have to be on crack to not realize how amazing our D is going to be next year.

i still think we need the pass rusher. I like rogers over smoot and hopefully when rogers blitzes he won't miss sacks like smoot did mulitple times. Our dbs should be great, but dline and lb has some questions. Regaurdless, our defense will be great because we have a great coach

Originally posted by triple6mafia

i still think we need the pass rusher. I like rogers over smoot and hopefully when rogers blitzes he won't miss sacks like smoot did mulitple times. Our dbs should be great, but dline and lb has some questions. Regaurdless, our defense will be great because we have a great coach

He may not be a true pass rusher but Daniels last year couldn't really play up to his potential because of injuries. I think without injuries Daniels will do more than a fine job at rushing the passer because he will not get double teamed a lot with Arrington in there. Simply Offenses can't afford to double him with Washington, Arrington, and the safeties/corners maybe in the mix. It all comes down to injuries for this D. If the main players stay healthy this D will be top 3 once again. Who are the main players? Griffin, Arrington, Daniels, Washington, Springs and Taylor. If these guys can go for 16 games I say we are going to be BETTER than last year (especially since this will be the second year these guys play under this system). Harris is more than adequate for a #2 corner, Rogers will play nickel well enough, Bowen will get his 5 sacks, Barrows/Marshall will be solid at MLB. Now if we can also do something more in offense like run the ball a little better (and honestly we can't be worse form last year with a much better center and Jansen back) then look for this D to be close to number one overall.

I think our players are improving and growing as a team and individually. Somebody has a signature where K. Johnson is going for the first down after a reception and basically when he turns around he has Ryan Clarke and Sean Taylor in his face. Point being is that the point of attack, aggressiveness, quickness and awareness our defense possesses now. Our defense closes in so quickly on the play or ball carrier it's almost frightening to see what kind of hit is about to come out of each play. The intensity and ferociousness of our defense is incredible too, they are coming in to slam the hell out of people.

We had talented personell however, we have a coach that is polishing the rough edges on each player. I can't wait to see what Coach Williams does with Sean Taylor, he is a huge fan of his and I know he is taking pride in coaching a player like that and especially at such a young age. I wish we had coach Williams when we got Lavar, who knows how crazy he could have been. But he will improve as well.

Keep ringin bells in 2005/6! :logo:

Originally posted by DjKam1

I think our players are improving and growing as a team and individually. Somebody has a signature where K. Johnson is going for the first down after a reception and basically when he turns around he has Ryan Clarke and Sean Taylor in his face. Point being is that the point of attack, aggressiveness, quickness and awareness our defense possesses now. Our defense closes in so quickly on the play or ball carrier it's almost frightening to see what kind of hit is about to come out of each play. The intensity and ferociousness of our defense is incredible too, they are coming in to slam the hell out of people.

We had talented personell however, we have a coach that is polishing the rough edges on each player. I can't wait to see what Coach Williams does with Sean Taylor, he is a huge fan of his and I know he is taking pride in coaching a player like that and especially at such a young age. I wish we had coach Williams when we got Lavar, who knows how crazy he could have been. But he will improve as well.

Keep ringin bells in 2005/6! :logo:

Thats what I'm talkin about.:cheers:

I had some b*tcha$$ Giant fan tell me that our D was only good cause we played a loser schedule. I replied we played the same schedule as his weaka$$ defense. How come they wern't the NFC #1 DEFENSE.

With Greg at the helm we can take anybody in this league. It's time for fans to stop predicting doom and gloom and start being positive about our strong points. We will smack down anybody who lines up on the wrong side of Fedex.:evil:

Origianlly posted by GangstaSkins

We do have some questions at middle LB and on corner till Rogers is ready to start, but I think the Defense will be top five again this year in yards allowed. The D is lacking the playmakers that makes Baltimore feared, our D just cannot take over the game. Hopefully something will click on the offense and we will be able to be a playoff caliber team.

Originally posted by TLusby

I disagree entirely with this statement. Our corners are big and physical (Springs and Rogers). Taylor and Bowen are terrors. Everyone has the capability to bring a blitz from any direction and we have not even mentioned our LB corps. LA, Washington, and either Barrow, McCune, or possibly Marshall.

WangstaRavens;)

:D

Archived